Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Finally I got a little more shop time for the pulpit project.....Updated pics..

Finally I got a little more shop time for the pulpit project.....Updated pics..

Howdy folks,

Well, I finally got a bit more done on the pulpit project. Ya'll probably remember the beginnings of it a few weeks back. Here's the thread.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=46125

I got the center section glued together one evening last week. Here it is.

Picture 002.jpg

Picture 001.jpg

There is zero storage in the old pulpit, not even a place to set a bottle of water so hopefully this will serve those that preach a little better.

The construction of the upper octagon unit is a plywood top edgebanded with solid white oak. I have taken extra steps throughout this process to reinforce all these miters so hopefully they will stay tight. I actually pocket screwed the edge band to the plywood top.

Picture 005.jpg

Picture 003.jpg

Today I spent a full day in the shop!!! It is so nice to be able to do that every once in a while!!!Here is the upper octagon together.

122206 (2).jpg

continued.......
    Last edited by Terry Hatfield; 12-23-2006 at 6:44 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I continued by putting the base octagon together. It is a bit different construction from the upper. It is 2 pieces of 3/4" plywood glued and screwed together with cove molding covering the edge of the top piece and 3/4" sides for strength. This thing is going to be really heavy!!!!!

Here's the base put together.......

122206 (4).jpg

I could not resist setting it all together of course. It's just dry fit but I think it's going pretty well.

122206 (16).jpg

The actual bible rest is sort of like a shaker writing desk. It will have a piano hinge so there will be more storage there also. The base of the bible rest is made from 1/2" white oak and it's dovetailed together.

122206 (14).jpg

I have really tried to match everything up as best I could and made the wood wrap the corners everywhere possible.

122206 (15).jpg

I'm going to try and get everything permanently together tomorrow and get the crown molding on it. I tell you one thing for sure about this project.....it gives new meaning to the phrase "I carefully mitered the corners"!!!! Man, it has been quite a chore to fit all this together and I am not really looking forward to doing all that crown!! I am cheating a bit through...my best buddy from church is a trim carpenter and he's coming over in the morning to assist. He's put up a few miles of crown so that should help.

I'll post some more soon.

Thanks for looking and everyone have a great Christmas!!!!!!!!

Terry
    Last edited by Terry Hatfield; 12-22-2006 at 9:03 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Looks great Terry. It will be appreciated.
    Rick
    I support the Pens for Canadian Peacekeepers project

Looks really good. I've used pocket screws (and glue) in the same way for thick edge banding, and it worked really well. Sounds like it will be a huge improvement over the old pulpit - any chance you have pictures of the one it's replacing?
    Thanks for posting, and a Merry Christmas to you too!

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Thornton
    Looks really good. I've used pocket screws (and glue) in the same way for thick edge banding, and it worked really well. Sounds like it will be a huge improvement over the old pulpit - any chance you have pictures of the one it's replacing?
    Thanks for posting, and a Merry Christmas to you too!
    Jesse,

Thanks!!! I do have a pic of the old one.

110806 (70).jpg

Sure looks pretty wimpy compared to the new one.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Very nice work, Terry....and yea, the angles have got to be killer!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    Very nice work, Terry....and yea, the angles have got to be killer!
    It was/is quite a process my friend. I made a sled for the tablesaw that worked out really well for all these straight 22.5's but it is still a ton of trips back and forth to sneak up on every one of them and if you cut one too short then the grain wrap deal that I worked so hard on is out the window. No pressure of course.

BTW...nice "do" on the avatar.

t
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

If you don't have a slider, a sled is the way to go...and you can cut each angle on the opposing corner for an exact mate.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    If you don't have a slider, a sled is the way to go...and you can cut each angle on the opposing corner for an exact mate.
    I used this sled for squaring panels before I got the Exaktor. It's a "Norm" one. I mounted a toggle clamp on the fence and just cut the edge to 22.5 with the first pass and it worked great.

sled (2).jpg

Turned out to be a good use for something that was just taking us space in the shop.

t

BTW....Cheryl sends hugs and kisses to you and your family. I just send a friendly wave and a hand shake. LOL....Hope ya'll have a great Christmas!!!!
    Last edited by Terry Hatfield; 12-22-2006 at 7:48 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Nice

Looks great!!!!, you coming up to KC for the woodworking show? Its Feb 2-4th this year. Let me know.
    If at 1st you don't succeed, go back to the lumberyard and get some more wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Diemer
    Looks great!!!!, you coming up to KC for the woodworking show? Its Feb 2-4th this year. Let me know.
    Hey Jack!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am planning on coming to the show. I'm really looking forward to it!!! I'll shoot you an email a little closer to time so we can nail down the plans. Sure will be nice to hang out with you guys!!!! I really missed not getting to go last year.

t
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Looking good Terry, my BIL has asked my wife if I would build one for his church............hasn't asked me yet but I think that I'd better be coming up with a design, yours looks great and will be a good place to start.
    David

13. Thumbs up

.... Looking good Terry, looking good .

Boyd

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Hatfield
    I continued by putting the base octagon together. It is a bit different construction from the upper. It is 2 pieces of 3/4" pluwood glued and screwed together with cove mouling covering the edge of the top piece and 3/4" sides for strength. This thing is going to be really heavy!!!!!

Here's the base together.......

122206 (4).jpg

I could not resist setting it all together of course. It's just dry fit but I think it's going pretty well.

122206 (16).jpg

The actual bible rest is sort of like a shaker writing desk. It will have a piano hinge so there will be more storage there also. The base of the bible rest is made from 1/2" white oak and it's dovetailed together.

122206 (14).jpg

I have really tried to match everything up as best I could and made the wood wrap the corners everywhere possible.

122206 (15).jpg

I'm going to try and get everything permanently together tomorrow and get the crown molding on it. I tell you one thing for sure about this project.....it gives new meaning to the phrase "I carefully mitered the corners"!!!! Man, it has been quite a chore to fit all this together and I am not really looking forward to doing all that crown!! I am cheating a bit through...my best buddy from church is a trim carpenter and he's coming over in the morning to assist. He's put up a few miles of crown so that should help.

I'll post some more soon.

Thanks for looking and everyone have a great Christmas!!!!!!!!

Terry
    Every man’s work is always a portrait of himself.

Terry -

Hey man......that look terrific! Your carful attention to all the grain, miters, etc...really paid off - LOOKS GREAT! (Well, it's gotta .....lots of people looking at it every week.... )

Nice trick on the Pocket Hole Jig to hold the molding......that's a great tool isn't it!!!

Hey - just in case - I'll remind you to double check little holes and slots and such for electrical , microphone, lighting, etc.... If your doing any of that stuff..........

Last thing- glad your coming to the KCWW show this Feb 2-4 : that will be fun. I'll see you at breakfast, lunch, and in between at the LN BOOTH!

MERRY CHRISTMAS TERRY!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by David Duke
    Looking good Terry, my BIL has asked my wife if I would build one for his church............hasn't asked me yet but I think that I'd better be coming up with a design, yours looks great and will be a good place to start.
    David,

We just googled pulpits and printed a bunch of pics for the pastor to look over. He picked one he liked and I reverse engineered it from the pic making lots of mods to suit his needs and to match the decor of the church. I have really enjoyed the project.

t
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]