Thread: Experienced pen turners.....I need some advice

Experienced pen turners.....I need some advice

Last year about this time I got a new manager when our previous manager retired. The new guy.....well........All 3 of my children are older than he is....He and his wife are West Point graduates.....they have two young children under the age of 4. Last week he got an invitation in the mail that he can't refuse. In February he has to report for training prior to reporting for active duty .....I don't have to tell you where he's going.

I want to turn him a pen. So far the only pens I've turned have been are slim lines. They've turned out quite well IMHO and in the opinions of others. I would like to make him a pen with the following qualities:

1. Will last in tough weather conditions....
    2. Was made to be used not just looked at.....
    3. Looks like it should be long to an Army officer......
    4. The kit is of material that will last......
    5. Something with my turning ability can turn even if it is a little challlenging.

Help me choose the pen kit and wood....I've never turned anything other than wood.

I've got a lot of respect for this guy and I could really use your experienced opinions!

Thanks!
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 12-22-2006 at 8:53 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Hi Ken..I have been turning flattops lately because of the armed services finial tops available from Hut Products. I did a couple Marine Corps in amboyna burl that were well recieved. For durability, the titanium finish is quite tough, yet subtle. I am presently using Liberon turners polish with good results, but you being in the states, you have a vast choice of finishes that don't ship above the border. As far as toughness, I would hazard a guess that the harder the wood, the better, but that is a guess. Maple is quite hard, but can be bland...maybe a Japanese or Aussie exotic, or even box elder burl. Let me know what you find, as I am always on the lookout for something new in pens

ron
    measure, cut, shake head

Ken, I vote for the American flat-top double-twist, out of bocote. Nicely figured and turns nicely.

If you decide to go with something plain in the wood, consider having his name lasered on the pen barrel...that would really make it distinctive. Good luck, and happy turning! And what a nice gift!

Nancy
    Nancy Laird
    Owner - D&N Specialties, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!
    Lasers - ULS M-20 (20W) & M-360 (40W), Corel X4 and X3
    SMC is user supported. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

And Nancy....where would you buy such a pen kit?
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

ken
    Penn State Industries, Berea, Hut Products, and i would imagine Arizona Silhouette all have the flattop double twist with parker refill...i like it for the heft, smothness of turning out the nib, and the way it sits in your pocket
    measure, cut, shake head

Ken,

Just something to think about, the new ACU uniform has pen pockets on the sleeves that are fairly small diameter wise. If he plans on carrying the pen then you don't want to make it too fat or it won't fit into the pocket. A slim line works great, though a euro style pen turned as thin as possible will also fit into the pockets, but it's a tight fit. I personally prefer a slimline so I don't have to fight to get the pen in and out of the pocket. I made myself two from sand/light brown colored corian and they have held up well and look great too. It's a tough environment over there and everything takes a beating, tough is good.

Mike
    Last edited by M Toupin; 12-22-2006 at 9:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Journeau
    ken
    Penn State Industries, Berea, Hut Products, and i would imagine Arizona Silhouette all have the flattop double twist with parker refill...i like it for the heft, smothness of turning out the nib, and the way it sits in your pocket
    And Craft Supplies (The Woodturners Catalog), Woodworkers Supply, Woodcraft, and on and on. It's a pretty standard kit.

Nancy
    Nancy Laird
    Owner - D&N Specialties, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!
    Lasers - ULS M-20 (20W) & M-360 (40W), Corel X4 and X3
    SMC is user supported. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

Ken you might also consider one of the acrylic or plastic pen blanks available. I saw some nice red, white, and blue blanks available at arizona sillouette. Also, one of those rattlesnake blanks would be nice. All are different types of plastic and resin and things that are weatherproof.

I haven't turned any yet, but Olive wood looks like camo...
    Where did I put that tape measure...

Ken,

I think the "cigar pen" from Bill B at AS is a great pen for this project. If you want to make it really special I have some lapis blue Corian you might want to try but, it would be a new years present then.

Ken, let me know and I'll do some digging, but I think I have some bocote blanks you are welcome to. Possibly wenge too. I'll dig around a little when it gets light out today. Holler if you want some blanks.

Just remembered, I still have some corian blanks. If you want to look them over, you're more than welcome to.
    Merry Christmas,
    Forrest
    Last edited by Forrest Price; 12-23-2006 at 9:45 AM.

I would go with a Cigar with the black Chrome and for the wood I would go with a heavily spalted that maybe has some different colors in it. The spalted with several colors would be the closest to camo you could find.

Hi Ken - I just want to toss my 2cents worth in.

I really like the "Elegant American Pen" from Berea Hardwoods (Hart Double Twist at Woodcraft is the same pen) as a consideration here. It is straightforwad to make and uses a Parker style refill. I love to use gel and Parker has a gel refill that works fine in this pen. I would make it from the "Patriotic Swirl" inlace acrylic from Woodturningz.com (Red White and Blue #31). The inlace acrylester is pretty easy to turn if your tools are sharp and you do very light cuts.

I made one of these pens in wood (candleleaf banksia from Australia) and use it daily. Very comfortable in my hand and pretty unique. Good luck to you on this project and our best wishes and prayers to you boss and his family.

Some links to the items mentioned above:

http://www.bereahardwoods.com/new/ki...es2000_1.cfm#2

http://www.bereahardwoods.com/new/kits/img/Elegant.jpg

http://www.woodturningz.com/InlaceAc...PenBlanks.aspx

http://www.woodturningz.com/IA/IA31.jpg

Mike
    Last edited by Michael Robertson; 12-23-2006 at 2:38 PM.
    Who says a square peg won't fit in a round hole? Give me a lathe and couple of minutes and I'll get it to fit!
    Never say Never.

Ken...I'd like to suggest a casing pen. This is a pic of someone else's stuff...but good for an illustration. It's a .308 casing, using a slimline kit and deer antler. No need for a finish. You can also get specialty clips for Army.
    CasingPen.jpg
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson