Thread: Another stupid question...

Another stupid question...

When finishing a solid oak tabletop 20"x42" , do you have to stain/poly both sides and end grain? Also when applying stain and poly, do you have to put an equal number of coats on the exposed endgrain and bottom, as the tops ? Thanks!

You should poly the top and bottom to reduce the chances of uneven moisture changes. The bottom probably doesn't need to be finished with as much care, you just want a similar film of varnish on both sides and stain on the bottom would be optional I guess. The ends are more a cosmetic isssue, the end grain may absorb the stain and varnish more and end up a different colour. So you may want to treat that differently. It wont affect the stability of the top though.

Cheers

Ian

Ian, is right about the end grain. I would test end grain on a sample piece before doing it on the actual project. If it stains too darkly, try sanding the end grain only to about 400 grit first.

David

So not finishing the end grain has no affect on the stability of the table top I presume? Thanks.

Blog Entries
    "So not finishing the end grain has no affect on the stability of the table top I presume?"

I would finish the end grain to avoid moisture changes. As the others have stated, end grain takes liquids more readily and should be treated differently to mach the surface color. If I am staining oak dark or towards brown, I shellac or BLO the endgrain first to slow color absorbtion. If the stain is lighter, burnishing with 400 or 600 grit sandpaper seems to do the trick. Either way you're trying (if desired) to avoid those really dark edges.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Sorry if this sounds really stupid but...what is burnishing?

"Burnish: To polish by friction; to make smooth and bright, especially by rubbing or friction; to brighten or make lustrous."

Your questions aren't stupid, by the way. Too many people are afraid of asking questions for fear of sounding stupid - those same people remain uninformed and end up learning the hard way (or not learning at all). Keep the 'stupid' questions coming!

Burnish: to smooth or polish by rubbing. Very fine sandpaper such as 400 or 600 grit will leave such a fine, uniform surface that oil will not penetrate as deeply, thus darkening the finish less than if 180 or 220 grit were used. A light coat of dilute shellac (1/2 to 1 pound cut) will perform much the same fucntion, by sealing the end grain so that the oil won't soak into the grain. For an explanation of of what "cut" is, see here: http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/i...n=Custom&ID=77

No such thing as a stupid question, by the way, though you might benefit by a trip to your local library for a general woodworking book that can fill you in on the basics.

Happy holidays,

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Thanks everyone!

Blog Entries
    You obviously haven't read many of my posts if you think YOUR question is stupid ;-) The great thing about the Creek is that members are willing to answer confidently on things they know or have experienced and are also just as willing to ask basic questions on things they aren't familiar with. I say "let the dumb questions ring out loud and clear"!
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler