Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Anyone use or see the palmgren lathe

Quote Originally Posted by John Hart
    Gilbert...I just measured the tool rest post and it is 7/8" diameter. I'm not sure I understand your hollow head stock question.
    john, thanks for thr response. On my Delta midi, there is a hole all the way through the head stock than can be use with a rod to push out the spur drive. It can also be used to run a tube for use with a vacuum chuck. Hope this explains it better.

By the way, I also have one on order.
    Last edited by Gilbert Vega; 12-30-2006 at 6:44 PM.

One more..

Everyone,

Thanks for the heads-up on the free shipping. I just ordered one up, so add me to the list.

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by Gilbert Vega
    ....On my Delta midi, there is a hole all the way through the head stock than can be use with a rod to push out the spur drive. It can also be used to run a tube for use with a vacuum chuck. Hope this explains it better.....
    ah...well I don't know about the Palmgren. My C-man does...but it's an entirely different machine. Maybe one of these other folks knows. Rex just got his today.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Dang, Now an A. We might as well give up on that B thing. Good luck all and happy spinning.

Bob

I just got home from my daughters house. My lathe that was supposed to be delievered on the 11th of Jan is in Houston waiting on a call from me to be delievered to my house. Shipped on the 27th of Dec and arrived in Houston on the 29th.

Way to go Bobby! Mines still listed for the 9th. And I look for them not to find the house until a few days past that

Palmgren/craftsman lathe

Hi all. Sorry I do not post here more often. I got an email about the Palmgren Lathe and a Google search led me here again. I own it under the Craftsman name. I think I have had mine for seven years but I would have to check to make sure. In my humble opinion this is a nice lathe. I have turned small ornaments on it and 18" bowls. I think my largest piece so far is a 12" diameter 29" high mushroom.
    Two difficulties you may run into. There is a small drive belt 'tween motor and drive shaft. It has a cogged surface. If you happen to forget the spindle lock and turn on the lathe, it can grind off cogs and call for a belt replacement. This is not simple but doable. The belt is not standard sized so it helps to keep a replacement on hand.
    The other difficulty comes from the Reeves Drive that controls the speed, a matched set of movable pulleys. The top one is spring loaded and that spring can fire across the room when the snap ring is released unless you happen to be in its way, which I do not advise. I have no idea what the Palmgren manual is like but the Craftsman is a joke, a bad joke. I have a page on my web site on how to remove the pulleys and lubricate the drive or replace the belt. It is not hard if you make the right jig.
    If I can be of any help let me know. I check here from time to time but the easiest way is to contact me through the web site.
    http://aroundthewoods.com
    I do like this lathe. It is the largest of my four and gets a lot of use.

Darrell

Delivery company was closed today I guess. They wouldn't answer the phone so maybe it will be delivered tomorrow. I will be on the phone first thing in the morning.

Anyone else that ordered at the same time got theirs yet?

I've gotten nothing since it said mine shipped. Tried tracking and that says 'not found'. Hmmm, Amazon isn't known for shipping things off very well. Ordered a scarf for a Christmas present one year (ordered the end of November), it got here in February

Bonnie, I was able to track mine the same night. Mine ship via eagle USA. It left chicago and is now in pittsburgh. I live about 2 hours form the Burg and hope it will come tommorow or wed.

Bob

It will be delivered tomorrow afternoon between 1 and 5pm. She couldn't get it on the truck today.Truck had already left.

Power

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Weishapl
    Rex you won't be sorry with the motor. I turned some 14 1/2" blank plus a 19" blank outboard and it handled them just fine. I have never stalled it.
    I beleive it. HP ratings for electric motors are about worthless. The best indicator is generally the power output, but even then you're still playing with unknown efficiency ratings. The Palmgren 15" looks pretty good at 12A/120V (1.44kW). When you compare that to a Jet 1442 at 7.9A/120V (0.95kW), you should be able to sleep pretty well, even adjusting for the possibility that the Jet motor is more efficient.

Just checked on mine and it still hasn't shipped. I CAN'T WAIT!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gilbert Vega
    Just checked on mine and it still hasn't shipped. I CAN'T WAIT!!!!
    Gilbert...you are suffering from Vortexial Dementia. You really can wait, but your brain has spun off its axis, giving the illusion that the universe will stop suddenly. Eat some ice cream and call me in the morning.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

LOL. That's a good one. But you're totally right, I should have said "I DON'T " want to wait. By the way, that ice cream does sound like a good idea!

Well, as I was wrining this, I got an email from Amazon saying that the lathe has been shipped. Thanks John for putting in a good word for me. YAAAHOOO!
    Last edited by Gilbert Vega; 01-02-2007 at 8:32 PM.