Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I made my sisters' Christmas a good one.

I made my sisters' Christmas a good one.

I have been working on a new kitchen for my sister for about nine months now (almost like giving birth) and I wanted to make sure I got it done and installed for her for Christmas. It took some doing, but I got it in. The old cabinets had this drop down cieling above them that I had to sledge out, and then replaster the walls afterwards, but I think the end result made it worth it. I am so glad she likes it.

The pull out spice rack-

Dovetailed pullout waste bin-

It all looks much better with the countertops. The sink cabinet was my one woopsie. I measured it too short and had to build it again on the fly while installing everything. Sheesh that was fun, I don't reccomend as a rule you try that.lol.

for the sink one, I added a bonus feature for her. -

The only cabinet left to build is the one above the stove. I knew that when I installed them because that is the "joining everything together" cabinet. where there has to be an extremely precise size and fit, which I didn't really know what it was going to be until I put them in. The deal was, I build them, he(the brother in law) stains them, so some will still need done by him,. But I think it looks good nontheless. I am sure y'all can see plenty of problems, but please understand, I have never built kittchen cabinets before in my life, and all of this was very new to me. (I swear, If I didn't love my sister, I probably would've given up about a half dozen times during the build.)

Nice work! I would say you really love your sister, she should be very pleased. I know I would be.

I've got a freind who wants me to build his kitchen cabinets for him. He wants a rustic look and he has the cypress ready to go. I can only hope that I can do as good a job as you did.

Very nice job...sister is very lucky to have a skilled cabinetmaker in the family!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

lucky sister

i have built a few kit cabs and from what you have shown us i would say you got the right idea for sure. very nice job. just for future refernce i dont think dovetails are needed on the garbage shelf but one thing is for sure it wont fall apart what wood was that?
    If in Doubt? Build it Stought!

lol, I kinda figured they weren't, but I was trying to make it as over the top as possible given my skills. The trash bin is made out of a simple glue up board that I bought at lowes. it was like 24 x 72, or something like that. The cabinets themselves are made out of birch 9ply,3/4" and the face frames and doors are all aspen (well, the floating panels inside the doors are 1/4" birch).

Very nice job, John! Must be nice to have a sister that special! (I don't have a sister at all, lest yall think I'm mad at mine!)
    I like the simple straight lines. LOML and I are eventually going to redo our kitchen, and she says she wants something straight forward, not a lot of edges and cracks to clean. I'll show her your photos and see if that's what she has in mind! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

John -

Those look great! You have incorporated some really nice features in your cabinetwork....super JOB!!!

Sis owes you some serious meals from the new Digs!!!

Thank you, My style I guess is a mixture of shaker/arts and crafts and victorian. I like them very much. I knew I wanted to do the true mortised and tenoned doors with flat panels in them, but I also didn't want it to just be plain otherwise. So, with very little fancy trim in the form of the crown and base moldings, and two carved emblems(thank goodness they sell those at lowes). It came out as a nice mix. No one thing being too predominant.

John, beautful cabinets! I like the design and the finish. I have one of those little sink-front bonus spots and I really like it.

Just one question: I noticed that the bank of wall cabinets above the sink are "dropped" a little - not all the way to the ceiling like the others. Is there a special reason you did it that way? I would guess that she is going to put "pretties" across there, but just wondering. The gap sort of breaks the continuity--for me.

Nice work!

Nancy
    Nancy Laird
    Owner - D&N Specialties, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!
    Lasers - ULS M-20 (20W) & M-360 (40W), Corel X4 and X3
    SMC is user supported. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

That's exactly why. She said that she wanted places to put silk plants and such. For me, I think the multiple heigths gives it a more custom look. I did make sure that she let me put a couple of them to the cieling, just so it looks (to me) more impressive. She definitely wanted differing heigths though. Thank you, I kinda hoped I had it right.

Very nice work. I hope to do that someday in my own home, the 21 year flip.... (Gotta wait until my son is out of school before we sell. )
    It's not how many mistakes you make, it's how well you hide them.

Nice job. I like the look of that crown molding.

Wow, nice job! I'm liking seeing pictures of other folks' kitchen cabinet projects. One of these months I'll have a similar post to make.

Blog Entries
    Wow! Oh wait, that's too short for a post. . . WOWOWOWOWOW
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Very Impressive!!! Nice job. You must have one happy sister.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps