Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zircon Stud Finders

Question Zircon Stud Finders

Zircon Stud Finders

.... I wanted to put up some shelving on a given wall the other night. Over an hour later, I hadn't got past trying to find two of four studs in the wall. The bottom half of the wall is particleboard and the top half is sheet rock. I finally established a ROUGH line on one side of one of the studs. On the other side of the stud I could NOT establish consistent repeatable mark(s). Matter of fact, I now have a whole wall full of marks that I cannot draw a straight, vertical line down on the other side of this stud. I have two Zircon units that I was using and replaced the batteries in both (Studsensor 4 and the Triscanner). The Studsensor 4, which I think is slightly more sensitive than the Triscanner, have some differences between them. For the most part I could NOT establish a good repeatable mark(s), some would be 1/4 to 1/2” from the first original mark and some did repeat but NOT enough to feel confident enough about to draw a second straight vertical line on the other side of this stud. I did try using a piece of paper under the scanner and that did help in a smother operation, especially on the particleboard, but didn't seem to help with repeatability. I talked with the manufacturer ZIRCON and the bottom line there was to try a thicker slide like the backing of a (pad of paper [the cardboard]) which is a little thicker than what I used (piece of paper) and I will try that. The question that begs an answer now is - Is there anyone who has had the same experiences or frustration that I now share?

Thanks in advance

Boyd

Every man’s work is always a portrait of himself.

Oddly, I experienced the same thing earlier this week with my Zircon (model unknown) after putting up 5/8 drywall. The Zircon I have was fairly inexpensive. Is there a better stud sensor out there somewhere?

Boyd, I have never had a problem with the Zircon I have, with the exception of when I get around electrical wiring behind the wall.

Go ahead and mark what the Zircon thinks is a stud width (1 1/2".) Then take a small finishing nail and drive it in the wall on and close to your marks, that should give you a good feel for the actual stud, and how well your device is working. A Little spackling will cover the holes.
    Best Regards, Ken

I have tried to use them for work and it is desperate business. If you think they work bad in a wall, try a ceiling with insulation. Studs everywhere! The only surefire one I have had is a $4 stanley one with a magnet. They break easily but they definitely show you where the sheetrock screws are.

mixed results I had the 49 model worked sometimes then died after a couple of years , I now have a basic zircon I picked up for 2 at the flea market that works pretty good .

I have one of the Zircon stud finders and it works well most of the time. Getting the set-up reading is critical, electric wires cause bad readings, and cross bracing will drive me crazy.
    I run a piece of the 2 inch blue painters tape in the area where I want to mount things. I try to get good readings from the Zircon and mark the tape. If I get strange readings I do the set-up again. If that doesn't work I use my hand to tap on the wall and listen for the solid sound of a stud. I mark that area. If this does not work I get the smallest drill that I have and make a few holes in the wall in the area or where I think I need to hang something from. Once you locate one stud, you can usually measure from the center of the stud 16 inches in either direction to find the next stud.
    David B

Almost everything I have is drywalled. Most of it is textured. But I had the same result with wood panelling. My experience with my (can't remember current make and model, but I've had about 3) model is that sometimes it is dead on and sometimes it just tells me something because I ask. If I will cover the area with a cleat or cabinet, I skip the finder and start tapping with the butt of a hammer. When I'm close, I use a panelling nail held tightly with vice grips and start punching small holes. Normally 4 holes and I'm dead on! Thank you stud finder! Lots of folks seem to have one that works. I'm still looking, but not very hard. I've been fooled 3x already, so...

David

Same results here. I bought one and tried to use it but it gave me the error beep every time I touched the wall. I sold it on that auction site for half what I paid for. I chalked it up to "lesson learned". I have since bought a stanley studfinder and it works fine.
    Custom cabinet maker extraodinaire.....?

I have a Stanley one as well that seems to work pretty good. I wish I could find one that had a "deep" scan to read through carpet and padding and the sub-floor so I could locate some floor joist.

My experience with many models of stud finders over many years is like the posts already here. To summarize: stud finders work well on smooth walls covered by homogeneous material. Textured surfaces and inhomogeneous wall board (chip board) throw back extra reflections that confuse the stud finder. In extreme cases, it is useful to know that the stud wall usually starts in one corner. Measure 16" from one corner and use the small nail method. If that fails, try working from the other corner.

Also, electrical outlets and switches are almost always mounted on a stud -- right or left. Sometimes taking off the wall plate and looking inside will help you find which side the stud is on. Then at least you have a home base to measure from.
    Last edited by John Huber; 12-28-2006 at 5:52 PM.

Some days mine works fine...somedays, well...it's a challenge. Of course, it never works at all when I can't find it!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I've had the same hit or miss luck with the Zircon. I find that using my Little Wizzard II metal detector works the best.

Lou
    Procrastination.......

Maybe I'll think about that tomorrow

Stud finding

Lou your a genius! Why havent I thought of that? Had the darn thing in the tool box (shaking head and mumbling). Must be getting old.

I have a Zircon, and I find it to be unreliable.

Boyd, thanks so much for this post. I thought I would keep my secret buried deep in my shop: I can't get the stud finder to work!

Now I find there is a support group, right here on the Creek.

That device, notice I don't distingush it with the term "tool", is the most unreliable item in my shop. I too often fall back on a few taps on the wall and a 1/16" drill bit. Toothpaste also fills the holes if you can still find plain white!

Tom, in Houston, relieved to know he's not alone.
    Chapel Hills Turning Studio
    Douglasville, GA

Hoosier by birth, Georgian by choice!

Have blanks, will trade.