Thread: Wood burning tools

Wood burning tools

Once again I am on a search on what to buy with the Christmas money I received. I always try to get something I would not spend my own money on. The one Item I am thinking about is a Razertip wood burning system. Something to just add some detail to my scrollsaw work and other wood projects.

My question is, what will a $119.00 wood burner do for me that a $5.99 pen type iron with changeable tips from Big Lots won’t do? They are the same wattage. The $119 one has adjustable heat control but that would only lower the temp. right? What am I missing???

A quality burning system with modular pens will "burn circles" around a basic kid's hobby burner. You have a lot more control and you DO want the adjustable heat to work on different species and with different tips. I'm not familiar with the brand you mention, but I bought a Colwood (Super Pro II) upon a recommendation from another woodworker a couple years ago. The other brand that comes up is Detail Master. One of the things I also liked about Colwood is that they are a relatively local business not far away in NJ.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Detail Master and Burnmaster are well respected units. Burnmaster is shown at the below link. Detail Master is at Woodcraft stores and website.
    http://www.woodcarverssupply.com/store/

Hope this helps.

Corey

Gee, I just use the fireplace.

Sorry, it's late and I just came up from the shop - kinda punchy. Sounds like you've gotten good advice so far. Good luck,

Wes

Wes,

To darn fast,

Matches, guided.

Per
    "all men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night....wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible."
    T.E. Lawrence