Thread: Crown 1-1/4" Rolled Edge Skew vs Lacer Skew

Crown 1-1/4" Rolled Edge Skew vs Lacer Skew

Looking a picking up a large skew for use on the outside of end grain hollow forms and and trying to decide the differences between the 1-3/8" Lacer skew and the 1-1/4" Crown rolled edge skew.

Obviously the Lacer skew has a radiused cutting edge and is an 1/8" wider. It's listed as 3/8" thick while I can't find any thickness on the Crown. Lacer handle is longer by 2" Lacer bade is 6-1/2" while the Crown isn't listed.

Pretty sure I can justify the extra 1/8" thickness away and grind the radius myself. Only thing I'm stuck on is the potential thickness difference and maybe some of the Lacer magic being transfered. But not sure I can make the ~$38 leap based on that.

Any thoughts?
    thanks
    Bob

Well, my theory about tools is that Alan Lacer could probably turn better with a skew made from one of Jim King's ground down car springs than I could turn with Alan Lacer's finest skew. With a radius ground skew, just a very small portion of the tool cutting edge is ever in contact with the wood. So unless you like the weight and balance of the 1/8" wider steel and you're adept enough at turning to be able to tell the difference in the quality of the steel, about what you're paying the extra for is the name.

Bob,

It all depends on the scale of work you are doing. Alan starts his demo from turning a sasame seed size spinning top with his big skew. The large skew is strong enough to rough from square blank. But when doing intricate details, I find them too big and obscuring the view on what I am doing. Both of his signature skews are very user friendly on planning cuts. I sure need a lot more practice so I don't have to watch the cutting edge when I am close to the detail.
    For detail work, my favorite is the 1" Hamlet rolled edge skew that has a straight top. It is not as thick, but sturdy enough. I don't like the oval skew, it feels filmsy.

Gordon