Thread: Craftsman 14" bandsaw blade choices

Craftsman 14" bandsaw blade choices

Is buying tools a hobby or an addiction? Since I am struggling with the decision on which 8" or 12" jointer to buy (8" Yorkcraft, 8" Yorkcraft with byrd cutter head, 12" grizz J/P, 12" J/P with shelix cutterhead), I decided to postpone that purchase and pick up a 14" bandsaw in Delaware. For someone starting on a bandsaw and looking to cut bowl blanks and general purpose work which blades would be recommended? Someone I saw was recommending taking advantage of the Suffolk 5 blade sale for $75. Do I need that many blades to start and is it necessary to replace bandsaw blades frequently?

Bandsaw blades are disposables. You will use them up! They will last anywhere from a few minutes of cutting to a few hours of cutting, depending on the saw, the job, the material you are cutting, the blade and so forth. This is why I always recommend getting an extra of the blade type you will use most often so you have a change available when you need it since it's so unpredictable.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I always recommend 3/8X4TPI and 1/2X3TPI silicon steel (aka Timberwolf, Swedish steel) bands. Lots of people sell them, including Suffolk Machinery and Constitution Saw. It would take me a while to go through 5 bands, but mileage varies.

Pete

As far as I know Timberwolf doesn't make a blade in the correct length for that Craftsman 14", but they will custom make you one for something like 29 or 30 cents an inch. Not a bad price.

Take this with a grain of salt, though, as I only know it from research and not from actual experience (I am debating between the Craftsman and the Grizzly Ultimate 14", currently).

Timberwolf bldes are made to your desired size. They are priced in 6" increments. for the Craftsman 99-3/4 blades you pay for 102" easy as that.
    Chuck

Great question and helpful responses. I just bought the Craftsman 14" BS and was wondering about blades as well.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Timberwolf

I bought some Timberwolf blades by telephone from Suffolk Machinery a couple weeks ago. A man named Tom took the order and was extremely helpful in fulfilling my needs. The order arrived in 5 days, here in Arizona, and in perfect shape. Lots cheaper, too, than some catalogs list the same blades.

Al Clem
    Sedona, AZ