Thread: kitchen cabinets

kitchen cabinets

Here's some kitchen cabinets I've recently finished in my kitchen. The first is a "before" picture, the second is what I built. I still have to do the other side and some trim and tile work. Being a newbie I was extremely worried about starting a project like this but it was a great learning experience. I wish that I would have done a better job selecting the grain pattern for the doors and would have used water based poly for the finish. I saw that tip on this forum AFTER I started. I used maple finished with three coats of poly.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Chris Oakley; 11-14-2003 at 10:54 PM.

Chris, that is a dramatic difference. Excellent job.

Be well,

Doc

Well done! Any other learned tips? I am about to start the same type of job.
    Old age can be better than the alternative.

Well done, but.....

....I ain't climbin' in your corner with waterborne polly. The only water base product I'll use is latex wall paint and exterior latex. Good job, Chris.
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Robins
    Well done! Any other learned tips? I am about to start the same type of job.
    Lloyd:

I used Danny Proulx's book and found it excellent for someone like myself. It was very detailed. I wish I would have had made a cut plan, I wasted a lot of my sheets. I used melamine covered particle board for the insides. I really enjoyed the work. I don't know if I saved a lot of money, I made mistakes on two doors and one carcus.

Good Work

Very Well Done
    18th century nut --- Carl

Great improvement

Chris -

Outstanding job - what a great improvement! Now, let's see some pictures of the rest of the cabinets in the room.

Well Done!
    Ted

Looks really fantastic. I just feels sooo good when something like this is finished and looks good as well. Congratulations!
    If sawdust were gold, I'd be rich!

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1