Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Your non-woodworking pursuits

Your non-woodworking pursuits

I'll start....

Playing the bass saxophone in a Mummers band.
    Marching in feathers while playing the bass saxophone (23 parades in '06).
    Playing golden oldies at hospitals, retirement centers, no feathers.
    Being a member of my sons' HS marching band's pit crew.
    Cursing at my computer for mis-interpreting my intentions.

www.denvillestringband.com
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

Hm...'can't beat that list, Mitchell!

Parenting (big time soak!), cooking, reading, landscaping with the Kubota...and I'm trying to get back into my music (keyboards), although it's tough around here for that. Perhaps the lessons I'm trying to give to Nastia will help with that. I do spend a bit of time at the computer, but I'm going to be trying to shift more of that to shop time in the next nine months building cabinetry and furniture for the addition.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Heavy caliber rifles and pistols , collecting , shooting and reloading them ..
    Old rifle , pistol , and shotgun collecting .. And shooting ..
    A litl deer hunting , but , try to save up for the occasional Colorado elk hunts , a few trips to AK , hope for a few more , and a couple more Africa trips I hope ..
    Not much fishing anymore ..
    Camping , Drag Racing ..
    Not interested in football anymore ..
    Harleys , of course .. And 4 wheel drives ..

NRA High Power Rifle matches... Across The Course, Mid & Long Range Prone, F-Class, plus the occasional 'precision' rifle match. Woodworking just serves as a distraction so the wife can't say I spend *all* my spare change on guns What does she expect? I run the HP Rifle program at one of the local gun ranges, I'm on the board there as well, and I'm one of the chair persons on the state rifle & pistol association also.

Anyway, since it's a woodworking forum, here's a few pics of my favorite toy... currently down in Kalifornia being fitted for a second barrel (switch barrel set up btwn .308 Winchester & 6mm Benchrest):

Cooking - when I have the opportunity
    Reading - voracious!!
    Photography
    Sewing
    Fabric crafts
    Antiquing/junk shops
    Writing - I'm 4 pages into my novel (maybe I'll finish it after I retire)
    Strolling through the Creek, plus a couple of other ww'ing forums and a couple of other laser/engraving forums

Nancy
    Nancy Laird
    Owner - D&N Specialties, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!
    Lasers - ULS M-20 (20W) & M-360 (40W), Corel X4 and X3
    SMC is user supported. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

After the sign/laser business and woodworking my next favorite pastime is bonsai, I have over 20 of them now, followed by gardening, stained glass work, and cooking. My kids are too old to need much parenting no, just helping out with issues that come up, like the youngest getting ready to move out and get an apartment with two other guys.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

I've recently gotten into welding. In the spring and summer I spend a lot of time on house/yard projects (we have 10 acres so there is always something to do.) Seriously thinking about restoring an old tractor which is something that I've been interested in for a long time. Intersted in cars--before my daughter was born I had a Mustang that ran low 12's on the dragstrip. Now I've been modifying our Kawasaki Mule and my new Chevy Colorado with a little more mild changes. I've been into computers and automation for a long time. I'm always messing with computers at home and have the heating/AC and dust collection in my shop automated. I can see what the heat/ac is doing and control it from anywhere I have internet access.
    Last edited by Matt Meiser; 12-31-2006 at 7:45 PM.

I never seem to quite let go of the things I get into, but I sure do "pursue" them like I used to...

- waterskiing
    - making highend audio speakers
    - singing (before my voice croaked)
    - beer brewing
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

I spend most of my time not working with my 3 boys aged 5, 3, and 11 monthes. That takes up most of my time and energy. I love to SCUBA dive and have gone on some great trips involving that. I enjoy music as well and I try to get to a couple of concerts a year. I guess reading books and Sawmill Creek account for alot of my time as well!
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

WWing has taken up most of my hobby time. But, I still workout, play the drums, and ride my motorcycle occasionally. What else ... oh yeah, my 3 kids ... they get just a little of my time also
    Jay St. Peter

Hobbies? I just have lots of jobs, sawmill (if I want lumber to build with) Gardening (If I want veggies to eat through the winter) Chainsaws (if I want to keep warm through the winter)

We too spent 4 yrs as HS band parents alot of work but got to know some great people.

Working toward a business degree (most of my excess time)
    Getaways to the inlaws beach place to get in some surf fishing when we can
    Taking care of 2 big yeller dogs (Labs)
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the very last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

Golf

Golf - Live in Florida and play almost everyday. Laserwork, small wood work (pens and plaques mostly) and Golf.Bad news for you weekend only golfers - playing often does NOT make you a good golfer. It is a difficult game!!!

Non-woodworking pursuits: let's see, husband, four granddaughters, manage church bookstore, boating/fishing, couple of men's Bible study groups, gardening, Board of a local non-profit (http://www.biblein90days.org/), prep chef for my wife's fabulous cooking, church committee. Makes for fulfilling days.

Tom, in Houston, beginning year 17 of "retirement"
    Chapel Hills Turning Studio
    Douglasville, GA

Hoosier by birth, Georgian by choice!

Have blanks, will trade.

Being a father and husband, working with the men's ministry at my church, singing with our praise team as a sub, reading, occasional hunting and fishing. I used to shoot Hunter's Pistol Silhouette and skeet, but haven't done either in several years. Haven't flown in a couple of years, either. No time, no money.