Thread: Seeking tips on using a cabinet scraper.

Seeking tips on using a cabinet scraper.

Hi Folks,

New guy here, what a great group. I'm a hobby guy that has done exterior and framing level re modeling for years around the house. Installed IKEA cabinets with some custom touches and enjoyed it enough to start doing more finish work and putting together a workshop in the garage.

I've been using a cabinet scraper occasionally for 6 mos or so and my fine wife got me the Veritas kit with the file and guide, burnisher and scraper holder with which you can adjust the bow of the scraper it holds, a collection of individual products.

I've been using the scraper straight for some various projects, mostly touch up of problem areas, not for the whole piece. Question- When using hand held I've been pulling it towards me angled down slightly, not bowed. I cranked the bending mechanism when I got the holder and notice of course as soon as you angle the scraper at all the middle lifts off the work. What's the conventional way to use the scraper, angle and bow parameters?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Larry R.

Larry---I think you must have the holder turned around. If you are pulling it, the scraper should be facing you, and the screw controlling the bend should be facing out. That way when you angle it, the corners will lift off and the center will contact the wood. If you are pushing, it will be the other way around. Just remember that the force is applied from the direction of the holder.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

boy, I really needed that advice!

Quite likely Dan. I didn't find the instruction intuitive and was hurrying though something yesterday. Pretty bad to have it turned around. I noticed the instuctions were talking about pulling it as an alternate or second choice and I've been pulling it to scrape for 6 mos. I send you a slightly embarassed thanks and get back out there and take another look.
    LR

There are several techniques. I typically hold it with both hands and push my thumbs into the center to form a slight bow....the push away at about a 60 trough 90 degree angle progressivly increasing as you push...Towards you the bowing is more difficult...but as Dan said the scraper faces you. This is a tool worth learning to use well....it becomes like an extension of yourself and you can make entire surfaces look hand planed or just touch up an edge. The agressive burr will leave a chatter mark which can be romoved with a finer burred scraper
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

I have to agree that I've liked using this tool from the beginning. I'll have to give pushing it a fair trial. As for the bow the Veritas holder gives you a bigger grip surface and puts a bend in it too, dialed to your preferance. I had a hand laceration some years ago and that R thumb doesn't work as well bending it by hand so I'm glad to have the assist from the holder. Seems like this is one of the few tools I have that I relax with and enjoy using in a quite shop. Larry

I use a card scraper basicly like Mark, both hands and pushing center with thumbs and tilting at a slight angle. One thing I will add is that if, while using scraper, you should be getting small shavings, if you start to, or are getting dust, then scraper is dull and needs to be redone or have the hook tuched up.
    Roger

Larry I have the same kit from them if you do a search on the interner there are a few sites that have good info on tuning and using the scrapers. one if I remember even has videos. I find I use it more and more since I have learned to use it correctly and it's paid for itself in savings of sandpaper alone.
    One thing I would like to pass on irt flattening boards someone showed me that after you have finished scraping glue-ups and the initial flattening if you are having trouble getting a really flat surface take some fine sanding dust and cover the top then take a straight edge and scrape it off and where ever the dust is removed mark with a pencil and work with the scraper till the pencil marks are gone repeat till it is flat, works real good when you really need a flat surface. he also said he has used a large sheet of carbon paper and just run a flat edge over it and remove the areas where the carbon leaves a mark but finding large sheets of carbon paper is getting hard to find.
    Larry