Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first all woodworking Project step by step Pictures

My first all woodworking Project step by step Pictures

Hey all. Thought I would give you all a step by step of the first project With wood minus a few laser projects.

My very best friend has helped me out in my shop a lot. She is not a wood worker but she knows tools and a lot of stuff I am new to. Since She has helped so much I wanted my first proect to goto her.

She ust got her Kitchen going after a lot of remolding and so I thought I cutting board would be up to me skill set adn great for her as a thank you gift.

Went over and met Ray Mighells the other day. What a great guy. He give me many tips on what I needed for my shop, gave some tips on woods and table saw tricks. Plus we had to talk laser for a bit too. The before I left he gave me some great wood. This is what I have done so far. See pics

What I learned:

1. cutting boards have more to them then it looks.
    2. cutting small pieces on a table saw is nerve wracking and needs 110% of your wits about you.
    3. joints must fit tightly watch for warped or rough edges
    4. Me and glue is ust as bad if not worse then a 2 year old. (need practice)
    5. Clamping is an art that I am ok and will get better at with time.

More to come I will post as I come along. Plans are to plane and snad tommorow and then round the edge with a router. Hmmm any tips never have I done the routing minus a few key holes for practice the other day.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    GCC LaserPro 30-Watt
    Mercury Laser Engraver/ Corel X3

SMC is user supported. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

Good looking cutting board Karin, excellent job! Keep up the good work.

Karin.....You doing well!

Routing....one of the most often mistakes made with a router is trying to take too much off in a single pass. Taking small amounts off and using multiple passes will often result in a better product. The 2nd most often mistake is feeding material too fast past the bit if using a router table. If you are using a router freehand, don't move the router too fast. If you see burning occurring, you are feeding the material too slowly. IF you are not using a router table...burning occurs as a result of moving the router too slowly.

Keep posting photos as you progress with your project!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I fine job, Karin!! Keep 'em coming!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Karin, Congrats on the new project, and when it comes to all of our machines, no matter what you are making or cutting, they all deserve your utmost respect and undivided attention...

Nice work Karin. Very nice contrast between the two woods.

One more router tip to add to Ken's excellent advice. On each of your multiple passes with the round over bit. Router the end grain edges first. As the router exits the end grain it will lift a few fibers. The long grain will router easier and smoother than the end grain, and will remove the slightly lifted end grain fibers at the corners.
    Will you be using a fence or a pin to do the routing?

Quote Originally Posted by Karin Voorhis
    2. cutting small pieces on a table saw is nerve wracking and needs 110% of your wits about you.e to come I will post as I come along. Plans are to plane and snad tommorow and then round the edge with a router. Hmmm any tips never have I done the routing minus a few key holes for practice the other day.
    I recently made a cutting board also. For cutting small pieces on the table saw I think I'm going to make a ripping sled. I think a piece of mdf with a piece glued on the bottom to fit the miter slot, and clamps integrated to the top side to hold down the small pieces would work great. I've seen crosscut sleds for sale but never a ripping sled, so I guess I'll have to make one.

Nice looking board! They sure are fun to make, but you are right, they are not as easy as they look!

Thanks everyone. I am hoping I do not mess it up when planning or routing this week. I am happy thus far with it.

Kelly thanks so much for sharing your work with me too it help me out a lot with this....

ANy other tips from any greatly helpfull
    GCC LaserPro 30-Watt

Another router tip.

If using a hand held router make sure you cut left to right or counter-clock-wise around the cutting board.

If using a router table make sure you move the cutting board from the right hand side of the cutter to the left hand side.

Going the other direction is called a climp cut and is dangerous unless you know what you are doing.
    Tipp City, Ohio

I would also suggest making or buying feather boards to help w/ ripping small stock. You want to keep your fingers.

g
    We are here on Earth to do good to others. What the others are here for, I don't know.

W. H. Auden

Ralph thanks for the tip. As noted I really have no idea what I am doing yet. Saftey tips are alwasy a good thing.

Greg thanks for the tip on a feather board I used so v cut tipped screw drivers I had but it was very nerve wracking when I got to cutting the last walnut that was 9/16th I needed off it.
    GCC LaserPro 30-Watt

Blog Entries
    Looking good. Keep it up. I make peace with my learning curve by reciting this mantra: "it's all practice, its all practice". BTW, I have yet to finish the end-grain cutting board I started. Boy was there more to that than I thought.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Hi Karin,
    Nice looking cutting board. As you already found out and stated..."
    2. cutting small pieces on a table saw is nerve wracking and needs 110% of your wits about you.

I bought a Gripper about a year ago and found it to be a very useful addition. It makes cutting small or marrow pieces MUCH safer. In fact, I use it for most cuts on the table saw.

If you don't know what a Gripper is....just do a search here and you will find plenty of info. They are not cheap but I am "thrifty" and consider it to be one of the best woodworking purchases I ever made. It is the best accessory I have because it makes cutting on the table saw much safer.

Great job on the cutting board. Keep up the good work.

nice to see the photos of your work. wood working is one of those things that seems simple until you try it. But it is a lot of fun.
    best wishes
    lou