Thread: Where to buy hardwood in Indy?

Where to buy hardwood in Indy?

I moved to Indy almost two years ago and I'm looking for other sources of hardwood around Indianapolis. I am familiar with Northwest Lumber and was wondering what else was around.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Matt ....Welcome to the Creek! You might try PMing fellow Creeker...Ron Jones in near Indy in case he doesnt' see your thread.......go to his profile.....He might be able to help you.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Many years ago, 5, perhaps, many of us gathered for a tour of the Frank Miller Lumber Company (you can google it). They are two hours east of Indy. They are one of only two (according to them) mills that exclusively cut for quartersawn lumber. While they are mostly wholesale, they have a small showroom for retail sales. Superb lumber, and hard to find anywhere else. They are worth a visit, in my opinion.
    Martin, Granbury, TX
    Student of the Shaker style

Frank Miller

I have purchased from nearly everyone I could find in central IN. Hands down best place to buy is Frank Miller, www.frankmiller.com and click on Outlet Store. They are out near the IN/OH border but the drive is well worth it. If you are on the way to one of their resellers they will deliver for little or no charge as well.

I go to Northwest for sheets of ply and an occasional needed board or two. But big orders go to Frank Miller.
    Rusty Hughes

Jeff Watson Guest
    You might try these guys http://hollingsworthlumber.com/ they are up by Kokomo. About a 45 minute drive from Indy. I have been to both of their stores. Definately closer than Frank Miller, although FM is the bomb. I went on the tour a few years ago. Their main saw is unbelievable. A real huge operation. Good luck.

We lived in Indy until last July 1.

I never made it to Northwest . . . I was able to buy all l I needed at Carter-Lee, 1717 W Washington St, which is just a few blocks from downtown. Otherwise, the pickings were slim.

Hope this helps, Larry
    Last edited by Larry Klaaren; 01-01-2007 at 11:40 PM.
    Every morning I seize the day - but I lose my grip when I grab my coffee. <*//><

I have a cabinetshop & buy mostly from Frank Miller. They will have a booth at the Indianapolis woodworking show on the Jan 19, 20 & 21. Other dealers could also. It might be a good place to check out. Both Rockler & Woodcraft sell lumber. They are on the north side of Indy.
    My brother used to buy from a ealer in Knightstown, about 30 miles west of Indy. He always liked their lumber.
    Jim Lukens Hardwoods (765) 345-2971

8. Quote Originally Posted by Chris Rosenberger
    I have a cabinetshop & buy mostly from Frank Miller. They will have a booth at the Indianapolis woodworking show on the Jan 19, 20 & 21.
    Frank Miller Lumber usually hands out 25% off coupons at the Woodworking shows. This could make the trip worthwhile.
    Tipp City, Ohio

Might be further than you are willing to travel but I have been happy with http://www.tinytimbers.com. It is a small place but the prices are pretty good. I suggest calling ahead of time to make sure they have what you want in stock.

Try www.Woodfinder.com You are likely to be surprised at the range of sources available within an hour or two of where you live.

I use Northwest Lumber most of the time. I have also used Bridgeport Lumber in the past, good wood at a fair price, but haven't used them since they moved from their old location. I'm not sure they still exist. If you want the really special wood for a really special project contact Curley Woods (Mike Maston).
    ________
    Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

Thanks to everyone for the responses. There are quite a few options that I need to check out and all are within a reasonable drive.

Ralph - thanks for the tip about the coupons at the woodworking show.