Thread: Leigh D4 users what bits do you recommend?

Question Leigh D4 users what bits do you recommend?

I am getting ready to order the 7 Piece Leigh Dovetail Bit Set from Whiteside.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that this set does not include one or two of the bits commonly used with the jig. I was wondering if this set is going to be sufficient to get me going or are there other bits that I should get as well. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Please tell me what the additional bits are used for and why as well since I am new to the jig not to mention a little bit dense at times.

Thanks,
    Craig

I am not familiar with the Whiteside set, Craig.

Please explain what you would like to make, and maybe the Forum users could suggest which to get. Often, a new user of the D4 or other dovetail jigs is just feeling around for what they would like to make, and therefore end up with a bunch of unused bits.

I believe you sound like you already know, though .

The D4 should have two 1/4-inch bits with it, so you can practice to your heart's content until you either 1) Get the new set, OR 2) Learn and zero in on what you wish to make.

When I purchased my D4 I just bought the Leigh set available at the time, and have been very happy with it. I am sure other sets provide a lot of versatility too!

Al
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/buttons/fotc.gif
    Sandal Woods - Fine Woodworking

I bought a full set of "Leigh" cutters from a then-reputable bit manufacturer. While I haven't used all of them...yet...it was one of the few times that buying a "set" worked for me. (I've used a few off the jig for other purposes, too, including the sliding dovetails in the Shaker style candle stands I like to make) The two bits that come with the jig are fine for through dovetails (although not great quality), but you at least need the equivalent of the #120 for half-blinds in typical drawer thickness material. (1/2" or so)

Regardless if you buy individually or as a set, consider buying 8mm shank cutters for those that would often be 1/4" shanks. It will require you to get an 8mm collet for your router or use a sleeve with your 1/2" collet, but they are much, much stronger than the 1/4" shank bits.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Lee valley sells a set for about $74.00 I have it and I've used of 'em. The are good for more than merely the jig.

Thanks for all the input so far.

Al,
    The set I am lookig at has the following bits included:
    D8-437x8 7/16" x 8 deg. Dovetail Bit
    D8-687 11/16" x 8 deg. Dovetail Bit
    D14-51x8 1/2" x 14 deg. Dovetail Bit
    D18-50x8 1/2" x 18 deg. Dovetail Bit
    1020x8 5/16" Straight Bit
    1067 1/2" Straight Bit

I got my D4 used at a too good of a deal to pass up price. I have everything that the manual says should come with the jig but the 2 original bits. I plan on ordering them as well. I anticipate using the jig for both typical 1/2 blind drawer construction as well as through DTs.

Jim,
    I appreciate and 100% agree on the 8mm shanks. The set includes an adaptor and I have a 8mm collet already.

Cliff,
    Thanks for the info on the Lee Valley set. I can get the Whiteside set for $83.60 delivered and have heard very good things about the quality of their bits so I think I will give it a try.

Craig

It sounds like a great set, Craig.

For reference, you may want to look at the info on the Leigh set, here. You will love working with that jig!

The bit selection charts are extremely helpful, to the point that you may want to print them out. However, they are also in the User Guide for the D4.

I suggest that you stick to the highest-quality guide bushings, rather than the inexpensive ones. I have found a greal deal of variation in eccentricity in the guide bushings bought from several sources.

Al
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/buttons/fotc.gif
    Sandal Woods - Fine Woodworking