Thread: Here is the finish/glue cabinet that you helped me build

Here is the finish/glue cabinet that you helped me build

Sorry to be so slow in posting this. The photo was hastily shot and doesn't do the wood justice. Termites and other silly things just took precedent. The cabinet was already positioned and loaded before I could do any shots, so pardon the distortion and poor lighting. This cabinet was suppose to be a "thrown together" thing. I just couldn't take that wood and do that, at least not for something to go in the house. The cabinet houses glues and finishes that I don't want to freeze, and it frees up the bottom of LOML's china hutch. It sits behind the door to the garage/shop. The doors to the shop and fridge have some of those semicircular bubble door stops to keep from damaging the cabinet top.

This was made of some of the local buck-fifty S2S walnut. And due to the hurried nature of the project I didn't do much selecting. I did do the top and bottom panels of each door out of the same boards and the corner wraps were the same pieces as were the door stiles. It was my first time to do raised panels. They are fun. It was also the first use of my Leigh FMT jig for all the mortises and tenons. Nice machine. The center shelf is fixed with an adjustable one above and below on pins. Minwax poly (for kitchen durability ugh ) was thinned a little then wiped on, rubbed til tacky then wiped off. Four coats were applied. Finish was where I did really cut corners to get this done fairly quickly. Only minimal sanding was done. The back was thin boards with tongues and grooves and attached with nails that simulate hand forged heads.

If you have any questions or want more detailed shots let me know. I lost a lot of resolution in resizing.

Thanks for looking and mostly for all the help. It was really my second piece that I would call furniture and many things I did were new to me. Most of my help was from right here!

David
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by David Rose; 11-16-2003 at 4:04 AM.

Only a woodworker would have a glue cabinet that nice, or even a glue cabinet at all. Looks great. You guys always inspire me. Thanks for the pic. Jim Guy

David,
    Very Nice cabinet, and I should add that it's the nicest glue/finish storage that I've ever seen. It always amazes me how much time and effort you folks put into building cabinets, etc. for your shops. My shop cabinets are hastily put together using whatever scraps of MDF and plywood that I can find. Strong and functional...but nothing that I would take a photo of

Maybe it's because I am a woodworker for a living. I don't mind spending lots of time on tuning tools, making jigs and jobs for clients, but I never even edge band my own stuff.

Anyway, very nice job.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old...we grow old because we stop playing.

David, you are not giving yourself NEARLY enough credit for this fine cabinet. I think it is beautiful, and I really like the look of the Walnut. The wood has many "Character Marks" which add to the appeal of this unit. Very nice job indeed! Thanks for sharing the pics with us.

That's a very fine looking cabinet...whatever's in it.

Nice Job

Like other that have replied, I can honestly say that you have created a cabinet to store your finishes that is nicer than the cabinet I have to store my wife's china. Nice work.

Well David - it's about time you got that thing finished! Just kidding - it's looks FANTASTIC! One thing that I do in my glue cabinet is lay a scrap piece of 1/4" material on the top of all the shelves - 'cuz glue is going to drip or ooze at some point (my West System epoxy is the worst).

The door looks pretty thick - how thick is it? What are the overall dimensions? Fixed or adjustable shelves? Did you use any plywood?

Todd.

Cool

"Glue cabinet" my foot! If I built something that nice to store glue in, LOML would surely hang me out to dry! I make anything that nice, it had better be something for her to display/store her collectibles! Very, very pretty, Dave!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Outstanding

David -

Why is such a fine piece of furnituire out in the garage serving as a utility cabinet? "Just threw it togetehr", my foot!

Nice work!
    Ted

Thumbs up

David,

SWMBO just looked at the pictures of your cabinet and commented that old wooden cabinet is not safe to store finishes in.........however, she would be willing to send you an OSHA approved metal cabinet, painted the appropriate red, complete with "Danger, Flammable" signs........and she would even be willing to haul off that old wooden cabinet and use it for something more appropriate, such as filling a vacant spot in her living room!

Another fine job my friend! An absolutely outstanding project!

Bob

David,

Simply beautiful!!!!!!! I am suprised that Cheryl didn't cliam it for her own. The walnut is stunning. Can't wait to see it in person.

Terry
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I think I mislead you guys. This thing sits in the house, between the living room and kitchen. To keep glues and some finishes from freezing, this needed to be in a constantly heated/cooled area. That is part of the reason I couldn't just throw it together. The stuff I use in shop is mostly spf. Until I got this PC310 trim router, most of it was not even rounded over. Thanks for that too. This little router is so neat. I walk around and grab it and give a "zip" to many things still sharp to the touch.

9 & 1/2 x 27 & 1/2 x 46 are the cabinet dimensions. The doors are 3/4" thick. I just sized it to fit behind the shop door. The top and third shelves are adjustable on pins. There is no plywood. The shelves are solid as is the back. The back was cut from about 1/2 stuff in random widths as that is what I had on hand. Some of this *was* just thrown together.

Bob does your wife's cabinet have a heater in it? If I kept it in the shop that would do the same job. Actually though I think I did hear something like "if you don't use that for glues it could be handy for other things". So it might not be so easy to grab.

I do love walnut. Maybe it is from many years of doing gun stocks. I think it was Kirk that said a day or so ago that it was a pain to match up. It really is, but if I have some time that is part of the fun, *if* you don't get too picky. If you want really premium match up, walnut is tough.

Thanks for the compliments. You guys helped with a lot of it. I forgot to mention that the latches are just rare earth magnets. I used several and am not too pleased with the 1/32" plus that it lacks closing at the top on one and the bottom on the other door. I think it may pull out with some clamping, but haven't taken the time yet. I really appreciate the long distance help.

Terry, come check it out in person. I still have a cyclone at your shop. If I can get a better layout to position the dust collection system better I will need help. It would surely be nice to get that "sucker" behind a door somewhere, but that may have to wait.

David
    Last edited by David Rose; 11-17-2003 at 1:49 AM.

David Blangger Guest
    That cabinet would look fantastic wherever you placed it David...and for that matter whatever was placed inside of it.