Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone have exp. building a barrel ceiling?

Anyone have exp. building a barrel ceiling?

I have a renovation I am in the process of in Baltimore City and decided I would like to install a barrel ceiling in the kitchen. Its about 10' wide and maybe 17' long.

I started looking into it and I couldn't find anyone with pics online of the construction process. I was planning on cutting my arch out of 3/4" plywood and screwing them to the joists every 5'-6', then connecting them with 2x4's (running perpendicular to the joists). This seems it would be a very sturdy solution to the vault, however I would feel better with some reassurance. If I go through all of that, and an inspector tells me its no good I have to tear it down, that would stink!

Thanks ahead guys!

Have you tried asking the inspector what he/she would like to see?

Often times, at elast around here, if you bring a drawing/sketch of what you want to do with some detail added for dimensional purposes to the inspector, they would be more helpful than if you just ask over the phone.

I have done this a couple of times on less detailed parts, just to make sure I was going to make to code, and the inspector was happy I did so.

Additionally, what you are proposing to do is not structural (menaing the only load it will be holding is itself). Therefore, it does not need to be built like a tank.

INMHO, you are heading in the right direction. I would make a couple of changed though.
    1. attach the arches made from 3/4" ply to each rafter
    2. use strapping instead of 2x material
    3. if the plywood you are using has a lot of voids, I would screw a 2x backer to the ply to screw te strapping to.

HTH
    George

I would think you could construct the whole frame using plywood battens and plywood strips...It's only going to be supporting thinner bending drywall and isn't (shouldn't) be structural, to the best of my knowledge. George's idea to check with the inspector isn't a bad idea, either.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

You mean vaulted ?

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Rohrabacher
    You mean vaulted ?
    Technically, it's vaulted, Cliff, but a barrel vault is rounded... ...and very kewel, especially when used in just the right places.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

This is the only way I would do it.
    http://www.usg.com/navigate.do?resou...Curve-Page.htm

Not your normal disclaimer: I have a friend that works for USG.

Chris:
    The way you describe is pretty much the same way I've done it on a couple construction jobs, only we did double up the ply to be 1 1/2" thick, but for what you're doing 1 layer would be fine, screw the 2x's instead of nails though.
    Roger

chris,

check out

jlconline forums thread 3111

you can come up with more if you search the rough framing forum.

a word of caution, if you're not a contractor or someone in the building trades please respect this site by not registering and posting. the jlc forums are designed for professionals and not home owners or diy-ers. not to be rude, just respect this. the forums at fine homebuilding could also assist and they are designed for both pros and diy-ers. good luck.

jud
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 01-03-2007 at 6:27 PM. Reason: Direct Link to Forum Removed - TOS Violation

Chris,

Here is how they framed our barrel vault. Looks similar to what you were originally describing.

Greg
    Attached Images Attached Images

George:
    I thought about talking with them, but thats more of a self esteem builder for these inspectors. They are not very knowledgeable as one would think and inspector should be. At least not the inspectors I have dealt with.

Jim:

Correct, this will only support the weight of the drywall, completely none structural.

Lars:
    Thanks, I did see those while researching, but I am a young guy that likes old fashioned ways =), that doesn't appeal to me much. Do you know what that costs by chance?

Roger:
    Thanks, any pics by chance? I never nail, only recently have I started framing my houses with nails =), previous to that double 2.5 top and bottom on every stud hehe. Speed was not a concern obviously.

Jud:
    Thanks for the link, I will look it up. I do understand where you are coming from however, I know what its like when DIY'ers get involved over their heads. Luckily I am in the building trade =).

Greg:

Fantastic, thats EXACTLY what I had in mind!

Thanks guys, as always I knew I would get the help needed here! I will post some pics when its up!

You are on the right track with the info provided so far but maybe alittle more for good measure.

Make a pattern for the plywood arches and cut them VERY carefully so they match perfectly. I would make them all and clamp in a stack and sand them with aggressive grit on belt sander until they are all the same. THen install the first and last and stretch a string at either end (TIGHT) and install the rest to it. (usually put string on 1/2" spacer then use that spacer when referencing the string that way no wood is resting on the string after it is installed-lessens chance for errors). Then screw 2x's and sheetrock. Last step is to post pics.

Good luck

Ben
    Strive for perfection...Settle for completion

Quote Originally Posted by jud dinsmore
    chris,

check out

jlconline forums thread 3111

you can come up with more if you search the rough framing forum.

a word of caution, if you're not a contractor or someone in the building trades please respect this site by not registering and posting. the jlc forums are designed for professionals and not home owners or diy-ers. not to be rude, just respect this. the forums at fine homebuilding could also assist and they are designed for both pros and diy-ers. good luck.

jud
    How do I search for this thread on the site? I put it in the search engine but its pulling nothing related, and I have never serached by thread number before.

Thanks.

Chris, 'not familiar with that site, but try searching on "Barrel Vault" or other similar things related to your subject. I'm sorry, but the direct link couldn't stay intact due to our rules.

Jim
    SMC Moderator

Yeah, thats what I ended up doing. Wow, talk about a wealth of info, skill, and talent! Those guys are really good. Very inspirational (heh, kind of funny to talk about rough framing like that =)).

Chris, the USG solution varies by size of vault or dome, but the numbers I've heard are in the 70% range of stick construction and less install time.