Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How am I going to organize this mess? Shop setup.

How am I going to organize this mess? Shop setup.

Now that the house is built and things are settling down, I finally have time to focus on my shop. Currently, it looks like a bomb went off in there and there is no organization.

The shop is being coverted from a 30x70 house, so space is not a problem. I am tearing out all the interior walls, then I want to get everything organized somehow.

I am curious about how all of you have organized your shops. I need to find a place for tablesaw, router table, planer, jointer, bandsaw, scrollsaw, panel saw, ocillating sander, belt sander, lathe, and a couple drill presses.

I figure the best way would be to put things in some kind of a workflow order. Maybe set it up in stations, like a sanding station with all the sanding tools, and a scrollsaw station. Not sure...

What worked for you? pics please =]

Marcus

Blog Entries
    What worked best for me was to make scaled drawings of the various pieces of equipment and layed them out in the space available taking into account the location of fixed objects like doors and windows. I then considered what type of items I generally make and what tools get used. I tried to organize the tools so I could use each one as needed with adequate (or at least as much as I could get) space to use the tool. When it looked good on paper (actually a coputer screen) it worked well in the shop. I used walls for storage and even got my lumber up off the floor and put shelving under the lumber storage. The result was not a perfect shop but one that fit my space and is reasonably suited to my needs. Yes I could use more space.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Organize by function...machining, assembly, finishing, storage. For the first one, consider material movement.

BTW, make sure you know what walls are load-bearing so you don't remove them without making arrangements to transfer the support.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thumbs up Wow

30x70 That is bigger than my barn!

Before you tear out all the walls, I'd think about what I'd be doing. Some things might be better isolated. Like a finishing room that could be kept dust free. Something I did was to decide on a scale & then cut out of posterboard "tools" to that scale. That way I could move things around on paper & get a feel for what would work best.

g
    We are here on Earth to do good to others. What the others are here for, I don't know.

W. H. Auden

I had better think about this a little more before I knock down any more walls. How do I know if a wall is load bearing?...prior to tearing it down.

Marcus

Marcus,

General rule of thumb is: if a wall runs perpendicular to the rafters, it's load-bearing; if it runs parallel to the rafters, it's not. Of course, as with most things, it tends to be more involved than that. Your best bet and safest course of action is to have a structural engineer take a look.

Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Beck
    Marcus,

General rule of thumb is: if a wall runs perpendicular to the rafters, it's load-bearing; if it runs parallel to the rafters, it's not. Of course, as with most things, it tends to be more involved than that. Your best bet and safest course of action is to have a structural engineer take a look.

Keith
    Structural engineer, architect, contractor. anyone who knows about building wood structures.

An engineer or architect would be able to recommend alternative bearing solutions if you definately needed to remove a wall.

The cost of hiring a structural engineer is much less than that of repairing collapsed roofs or worse yet..injury.

Answering your original question: I layed my tools out based on work flow as well as my DC duct runs. I wanted to make sure all my machines where in direct path with minimal bends. I also had to account for the garage overhead door. Cant put any ductwork there.
    Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.

I can only echo what Greg said about separating areas - My wife and I started 20 years ago with a 32x60 "mostly open" shop which had open shelves for supplies storage. We soon found that no matter how good the dust management system we still collected a lot of dust in and around our supply containers. We then enclosed a 6' x 24' area with shelving floor to ceiling and it has worked great ever since.

I use Corel Draw for my workshop layout games. You can download a trial version that will work long enough for you to do your workshop layout. Set it to metric mode and use a scale of 1mm = 1" in real life and you're set to go.
    Dave Fifield

XYZ Laser - 45W Epilog 36EXT, Rotary, Corel X4, Photograv

11. Oh yeah baby

That happened to me.

My shop had been used as an auto shop plumbing electrical tiling flooring and framing shop

I just stared by clearing a bench and building storage.
    I'm still working on it.

Blog Entries
    You can find books of stuff on this and I'm sure the Creekers will load you up with their experiences. I organized by type of work; breakdown of large material, initial and final sizing of pieces, dry assembly / final assembly, finishes. A couple things I learned along the way; you'll always need more plain open space than you think (I dumped a second table saw to open up an area). You'll always need about four square feet of flat surface (I use a small rolling table) to set your 'stuff' on while you're working. Have fun!

P.s. I haven't kept up with this so there have been a few changes but basically:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 01-04-2007 at 5:32 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I did a little research on the truss design of my shop.

With my truss design, 24" spacing on center, 40lb per square foot load rating, and constructed of hemlock/fir I can span a space of 35'8" for low grade wood or 40'0" for select grade wood with no load bearing wall. I will measure the width of the shop again, but I am pretty sure it is 26-30 feet.

Marcus

Blog Entries
    The occasional pole isn't always a bad thing. they not only hold up the roof but, make good drop-zones for DC ducts and power.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Grizzley has a program you can use for organizing a shop. You draw the outline of the shop (to scale) then place machine otutlines (to scale) in position. You can then move them around for various configurations very easily. There are a set of machine outline you can use in the program or make your own. The program is free on their web site Dick B.