Thread: Does anybody wash their filter bags?

Does anybody wash their filter bags?

Does anybody wash their single stage dust collector filter bags when vacuuming the interior of the bags don't seem to be as effective anymore? I'm talking about the better quality needle felt bags that are usually advertised as 5 micron or less. Not the old woven canvas bags (which washed well). If so, how did you wash 'em?
    -Jeff

Mine came with a notice to NOT wash the bags. Dick

Washing them makes them less effective in filtration. Take them outside and give them a few nice whacks (standing upwind, of course...) and then reinstall. A small amount of "cake" on the inside adds to the filtration effectiveness. As long as the bag isn't "inflating hard", you're fine. (This presumes you're using a quality bag, not the canvas OEM bags which will "inflate hard" brand new 'cause they don't flow air)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I wack mine and give it a light shake as the impeller is spooling down. just enough back pressure to prevent the fines from comming back out the DC hose.

when you "clean" a filter bag, using what ever method you choose, it's suggested that you condition the bag with a 5# bag of flour. I figure the bag's gotta be pretty clogged to need to be washed if I'm supposed to condition it again after it's cleaned.

I usually beat my bag pretty good. It's a form a therapy for me.

Last time I also ran a vacuum across the inside too. However, when I reinstalled the bag on my collector, it still felt very firm. I'm wondering if the bag has reached the end of its life. It's a quality 5 micron needle felt bag about 4 years old.

Perhaps it's time to go to a 1 micron canister. I noticed that Penn State is now offering an oversized canister that is 40" tall in lieu of the standard 24" tall. But I hear mix opinions on canister filters too.

-Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Makiel
    I usually beat my bag pretty good. It's a form a therapy for me.

Last time I also ran a vacuum across the inside too. However, when I reinstalled the bag on my collector, it still felt very firm. I'm wondering if the bag has reached the end of its life. It's a quality 5 micron needle felt bag about 4 years old.

Perhaps it's time to go to a 1 micron canister. I noticed that Penn State is now offering an oversized canister that is 40" tall in lieu of the standard 24" tall. But I hear mix opinions on canister filters too.

-Jeff
    I dont think the bags wear out or get plugged up. After you clean it out, go to far end of the system and check the suction, if its nice and strong, then dont worry. Whatever you do, dont wash the bags, that somehow messes them up permanently. If you go with a cannister, from what I have heard, they can wear out especially from the action of the internal flapper on the paper filter media.

I roll the dust collector outside, put the bag on inside out and brush it lightly----stand up wind and wear a respirator.

Don't wash the bag. That does a job on it.

I don't wash the paper bags or paper towels...sometimes terry towels sometimes I was me
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Oh well, so much for washing the bags.

Wearing out a canister filter from the flapper action is new to me, but it makes sense. I've been trying to find out if the new Penn State filter is made from paper or spun bond poly. I'm assuming the spun bond poly is more durable. However, the Penn State tech guy is difficult to get hold of.

Two things I dislike about bags. First, beating them into a dust cloud in my backyard for all my neighbors to enjoy. And second, emptying the bottom bag, which is usual over filled because I avoid this nasty duty, into multiple garbage bags.

My dust collection system is mostly about timing. That is, it changes my dust exposure from a sublte chronic exposure into a foggy, dust coated, acute exposure. I'm hoping a canister filter with lower plastic bag will make life simpler and cleaner.

-Jeff