Thread: Tried something new to start out 2007

Tried something new to start out 2007

I got into turning pens just before Christmas .. more out of necessity than anything else, cuz we needed gifts for friends and family. I just stuck with the Mont Blanc style from Penn State, with rosewood being my favorite wood to use. We had a huge wind storm up here in Seattle, and our place was without power for 5 days. Thank goodness my neighbor loaned me a 'very' small generator, but as my wife said, it was big enough to run the refrigerator. Well, being a true woodworker (and desperate to get these pens done before Christmas ) I did the only reasonable thing ...... I unplugged the fridge and plugged in the lathe!! Really ticked off the neighbors who had no power whatsoever .. they'd drive up our pitch black street and there I was, merrily turning away. Oh well, like the mailman, neither rain nor sleet nor lack of power can stop a woodworker from his appointed 'rounds'! Anyway, now that all that's done and behind me I decided to try something a little different. My nephews from the Midwest sent me out a box of antlers, so I decided to try one in the Polaris style. I'm pretty pleased with it, but I'll let you guys be the final judges (man, am I ever setting myself up here!!!). Thanks for checking it out.
    Antler.jpg
    Happy New Years Guys!
    Jim V

I don't know anything about turning pens, but I sure like this one you've done!

Jim........Very well done! They don't get any better than that! Well done!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

S W E E T ! ! !

Wow, that's just pretty...

I can't wait for my lathe to come in so i can get started on some bonkers, and then some pens...

Again, that thing is just elegant...

Wonder if the hunters over here would be willing to give up some of their antlers...

*goes shuffling off to see what he can scrounge*

Jim - now that is classy! Great form and absolutely love the color combination. Nice work!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

The only problem with turning antler is getting to the point where you can actually turn it ..... trying to drill a hole all the way through the blank without having it pop out the side somewhere has been a BIG challenge for me! Better get a message off to my nephews for MORE ANTLERS!!!
    Thanks for the compliments.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim VanBramer
    The only problem with turning antler is getting to the point where you can actually turn it ..... trying to drill a hole all the way through the blank without having it pop out the side somewhere has been a BIG challenge for me! Better get a message off to my nephews for MORE ANTLERS!!!
    Thanks for the compliments.
    Jim
    Turn the piece between centers until it is nearly straight and round ( I usually leave a little bark on one side). Then you will be able mount it in a vise and drill it without any problems.

Awesome pen Jim. Nice work.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Nice lookin' pen Jim!!! I sympathize with the neighbors....but only because they don't have their priorities straight and just don't know it.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Jim, may be that one of your great pens would put U back in good graces with the neighbors! Skip

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Cook
    Turn the piece between centers until it is nearly straight and round ( I usually leave a little bark on one side). Then you will be able mount it in a vise and drill it without any problems.
    Great advice Stan ... I'll give that a try this weekend and see if it solves my problem!

Just gave it a try Stan ........ WOW! Is that ever a sweet way to do it. Thanks so much for the advice!
    Last edited by Jim VanBramer; 01-07-2007 at 12:15 AM.

Thumbs up Wow!

Wow-that's a great looking pen! I've got some antler and was wondering if it's especially hard to turn?