Thread: Not that Festool needs any more positive publicity, but.....

Not that Festool needs any more positive publicity, but.....

All,

A quick note for those of you who might be on the fence on the purchase of a Festool OF 1400 EQ plunge router. My initial impression of this router is that it was good, but nothing better. Relative to all my other Festool purchases, I was less satisfied.

After a year+ hiatus from WW (wife, work, soccer dad), I used the router along with the Featool guide system to cut some dadoes and to route some inlays in a 5' butcher block countertop/cutting station. Simple to set up, cuts that are smooth, and razor clean edges. The inlay fit is PERFECT.

To cut to the point, I'm now as happy with the router purchase as I am with the MFT, plunge saw, jig saw, and Rotex purchases. It has proven to me yet again that I'm happiest with the tools that I've paid relatively more for - you do get what you pay for. Best. Dave.

Oh no!!!!! Your gonna arouse the Festool Follies Cult Club. ( say that 10 times real fast) LOL ( only kidding...)

Gary K.
    Last edited by Gary Keedwell; 01-05-2007 at 11:18 PM.

mmmmmmm....Festool goodness.

4. I concur with Dave

I am extremely happy with my Festool devices. Money well spent if you're looking for quality engineering, functionality and innovation in your tools, not JUST whether they'll do the job.

I do woodworking as a hobby so I compare Festool purchases the same way as a weekend golfer looks at a high end graphite shaft or a bass fisherman spending $250 plus on a boron rod.

Don't need those things to do the task at hand, but it sure makes it more fun.
    Steven

Steve,
    I love that comparision !!! I am going to go out and get my first festool.

Ben
    Still trying not to Take Life so Seriously !!

Dave,
    Thanks for the words on your OF 1400 EQ experience, as I am considering that purchase myself. I know that you have done some very fine woodworking and I have come to respect your opinion on tools.

xxxx
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 01-06-2007 at 10:10 AM. Reason: Removed personal comments not relevant to thread

Dave,

I think your feelings about the router are in line with what a lot of folks first think about it. It is expensive and at first glance, it doesn't seem to offer much of an improvement over anything else, plus you have to learn a new way to hold a router (the handle). But from what I've read, and from my own experience, once you use the router for a while, get used to the grip, plunge that beauty and use it with the guide you learn that it is really a high quality precision tool which more than lives up to the Festool reputation.
    Bill Esposito
    Click on my user name to see the link to My Personal WoodWorking and Tool Review Pages

I kid around about Festool's pricing and following, but I do have their cordless drill and it is a fine example of great tool making. As I always do endless researches before I purchase a tool, there will probably be more Festool packages at my door-step in the future. I do treasure quality.

Gary K.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Keedwell
    I kid around about Festool's pricing and following, but I do have their cordless drill and it is a fine example of great tool making. As I always do endless researches before I purchase a tool, there will probably be more Festool packages at my door-step in the future. I do treasure quality.

Gary K.
    Gary - I'm happy to see you say that. It is often difficult to tell when someone is kidding on the forums. Go ahead and get that sander you have been considering and then you will be totally convinced. Smile.

Regarding the OF1400, here's a thread that may be of interest about a way to make the OF1400 behave better on the rails:

http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=36120

Using the router in combination with the rail makes excellent dado cuts. Try cutting the dados for carcass sides with the rail setup BEFORE cutting the sheet goods to final size with the Festool saw. All of the dados line up precisely using this method, with no hassle.
    Last edited by Dave Falkenstein; 01-06-2007 at 11:06 AM.
    Dave Falkenstein aka Daviddubya
    Cave Creek, AZ

Great idea Dave. Here's another idea. I'm not a pro so take this with a grain of salt but setting the OF1400 on its rail in this fashion provides me with all the stability I need. allows the router to ride on the plastic guide, and allows me to bring the bit closer to the splinter guard which is what I use to line it up. I normally set my bit like 1/8" from the splinter guard and then just add 1/8" to my layout measurements.

Bill Esposito
    Click on my user name to see the link to My Personal WoodWorking and Tool Review Pages