Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bosch Jigsaw...Top handle or barrel grip?

Bosch Jigsaw...Top handle or barrel grip?

I'm planning on buying a Bosch Jigsaw. Either 1590 (top handle) or 1591 (barrel grip). Any input on what you like about either style would be appreciated. I could save a few bucks buying top handle version so it is a consideration.
    Thanks folks.
    I can get the 1591 for about $175.00
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

Blog Entries
    I have the 1591 and chose the barrel grip specifically from test driving each type of saw but not the particular saw. This is going to be a personal preference decision I believe. I have average sized hands but a bum elbow. The more open grip and 'closer to the surface' hand position is more comfortable for me and therefor gives me more control.

The top handle has a trigger switch which I prefer but I have found the barrel grip to be very serviceable, for me. I wouldn't pick one over the other with a price difference close to the cost of breakfast at Denny's.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

John I chose the top handle. I have held both and liked the top handle better it felt better in my hands but my hands arent very big either. The blue borg here has the 1590 for $150.00 but I had a 10% HD coupon and got them to do a price match.

I would suggest to handle both and go with the one that feels best in your hands.
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the very last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

bosch jigsaw

I had an old Cman top handle and went with the Bosch barrel after reading some good comments on it. Besides being a much superior saw, I have found the barrel to be easier to use both in holding and manipulating. The only reason I could come up with for not buying the barrel grip would be if you had small hands as it does take a larger hand to get a good grip.

I'm sure you'll like either saw as it really is nice to use and the blade changing is pretty quick , once you've done it a couple times.

I have the top handle Bosch and have had it for years and 90% of the time I use it I curse myself for not buying the barrel grip. I think the barrel grip would give me more control than the top handel does. The thing is if you look at the design Bosch could have made it both with a removable top handle. It is the same machine with the handel added. I think they are missing the boat here or maybe selling twice as many....
    we all can see what we should be, but knowing is not controlling

Personal perference. Try it yourself.

Only thing is the trigger switch. Not having one on the barrel grip scares me. One of these days I'm gonna drop the thing while trying to find the on/off switch & it's gonna bite me. I just know it.

I like the barrel-grip. I get better control and more effective down pressure

I see this as a personal preference decision, comes down to which feels best in your hand. I wouldn't expect any difference in performance between the two. FWIW, I've had the barrel grip for some years now and like it just fine.

-Mike

I prefer barrel grip and that's what I chose when I bought my current one. If you have the opportunity, try both and see what is most comfortable for you.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

One more vote for the Bosch barrel grip. My daughter got me one for Christmas, and it is a joy to use. Blade changing is almost fun, it is so easy.
    Best Regards, Ken

I have the Festool, but I much prefer the barrel grip. I feel like I'm much closer to the work and have a lot more control.

I like the top handle only because I've had it for well over 10 years now and it still works like it did when it was new.

Get the barrel handle style like Jim recomended if you don't care about a couple extra bucks and it not being field tested for such a long period.

About fifteen years ago I borrowed from a friend a saw

with a barrel grip that had a bottom mounted lever switch for variable speed. From the color I would guess it to be either a Bosch or a Makita. I thought that was the neatest scroll saw (excuse me, jig saw) I ever had my hands on. I am surprised that Bosch doesn't add this type switch to the barrel grip.
    What you do today determines what you can do tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Bodenschatz
    Personal perference. Try it yourself.

Only thing is the trigger switch. Not having one on the barrel grip scares me. One of these days I'm gonna drop the thing while trying to find the on/off switch & it's gonna bite me. I just know it.
    Same here. I like the 1591 very much except that I do no like where the switch is. It is hard for me to reach it with my thumb. If the switch was like Don Henthorn is describing it would be perfect. Because of the switch type and location I might prefer the top handle 1590. Like others have said I guess that it is just personal preference.

I've used both and bought the top handle because it felt more comfortable to me. You will like either one. Trust your instincts if you can't try each.
    ________
    Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi