Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Woodworker

New Woodworker

I am just beginning as a woodworker and I would like some assistance if possible. I would like to, one day make this my full time business. But what do I decide to go into or make? Your advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. New wodowker-business question

Hi Jason..........gonna need a bit more information. Give us an experience level, age, idea of what you have built so far, what machines you have, present shop.

Give some meat to crew-on a bit..........you'll get real good answers here answers.

Before others think me rude......welcome.

There's an old joke in woodworking- furniture makers win awards, cabinet makers make money. Cabinet makers refers to kitchen cabinets.

Welcome to the creek.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Jason ......Welcome to the Creek!

A beginning woodworker and you'd like to go pro?......The first thing I'd advise is getting education and training in the field and couple that with a some experience. Take a few classes....offered at local colleges....Woodcraft stores......build a library of educational material on woodworking. I am just a hobbiest but I can tell you that a lot of people start woodworking businesses and soon go out of business. Starting a business and making a living is difficult at best. I'd also take some business classes. A lot of businesses fail because of bad business decisions. Good luck with you endeavors!

Again.....Welcome to the Creek!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I am 34 years old, a novice woodworker. I've built a small kitchen table, some yard planters for my wife, nightstands and shoe racks for our house. For tools, I have a radial arm saw, miter saw, table saw, router and table, finishing, benchtop, and belt sanders. I hope this helps because I would like to find out anything I can, about the hobby and how I can make myself better. I know it takes practice and I'm willing to try anything.

Thanks

Could you give me an idea of what classes I should take?

7. An approach....

Jason...... Mike is on to something although cabinetmakers don't just make kitchen cabinets, and Ken's learning suggestion is on the money.

At 34........and this present time of the 16:9 TV,..........I'd go after Entertainment Centers, its your best market to jump into right now. Any new TV will be either flat screen or a thicker projection......how are your designing skills????? Don't think to build these big ole boxey units, with tons of box cabinetry at different levels. You've got the tools to work out a building style, although I didn't see mention of clamps. Think light and less depth, build with sheet goods and stay with a semi-gloss finish for shipping reasons. You'll have many constraints to deal with, but there will be an answer to every one, if you desire the objective.

You'll have installation to deal with and you'll need help to install.

And get off the computer and start right now!!!!! You've got some catching up to do!!!!

Thanks

Thank you very much. If you can think of anything else let me know.

I do live in a very rural area. Northwest Minnesota to be exact, do you think that will work. If not could you give me some other ideas, and yes I have a very wide assortment of clamps. One other thing am I too old to start this or not.

Jason, I've been there, done that.

First, how much money do you want/need to make?

Jason.....If I was going to start out and wanted to make a livelyhood at it I'd consider taking some courses in cabinet making if that's what I planned on doing. If I planned on making furniture...I'd take some classes in furniture making. The people who make it seem to be somewhat specialized and are extremely good at what they do.

Take some business classes. Many small colleges offer courses related to starting, owning and operating small businesses. A lot of craftsman are extremely good at their crafts but very poor businessmen. A company that doesn't make a profit, doesn't stay in business. Financial hardships are also one of the leading causes of divorces IMHO. If you are married, have children....You got to be bringing home the bread! While your heart may want to do it....Use you brain and leave out the emotions while making the decision......and above all....don't burn any bridges.....You never know when you might want to retreat to or over that bridge!

It sounds like you have most of the tools you'll need and no...I don't think 34 is too old to start. I think you can learn until the day you drop dead...and in fact, if I don't learn something everyday..I'm sleeping.....and I'm old enough to be your father.

I don't want to sound pessimistic....just realistic......get to know the facts....get prepared before you decide.......

Good luck and do a lot of research before you make the big decision!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Nelson
    I do live in a very rural area. Northwest Minnesota to be exact, do you think that will work. If not could you give me some other ideas, and yes I have a very wide assortment of clamps. One other thing am I too old to start this or not.
    Too old at 34 ???? It's never too late.

I wish I was that young. I just turned 53 last year and I embarked upon a part time endeavor (I still have my full time day job) working at a small cabinet shop, to get a flavor of what a full time woodworking business might entail.

We're making cabinet doors and draw fronts for contractors and people that want to do DYI refacing of their kitchen cabinets... seems to be a lot of that being done these days. We're about 25 miles from an area that had a lot of tract homes spring up in the 80's, and now the kitchens are starting to look a bit tired so the reface option is a popular choice.

I've also found a niche market for myself in refurbishing and duplicating factory wood presentation grade cases for firearms. It's also been giving me a good feeling for what it would be like to be in business for myself.

Doing the woodworking is half the battle, the other is the accounting paper work, the shipping/receiving (aka running back and forth to the Post Office as I'm in a rural area where UPS is loath to come), ordering online for supplies... being in a rural area with no woodworking or home improvement stores close by, keeping some of the specialty supplies I use on hand can be a bit tricky, especially if I forget to check what I'm down to.

Doing it as an enjoyable hobby and doing it as a living/business are two very different things.

So far... it's been "interesting" and I'm not quite sure yet what I think about it.

If you really want to do this, you'll find a way, and I think it's doable from a rural locaton.

Conrad
    Last edited by Conrad Aquino; 01-05-2007 at 7:31 PM.

Thanks

Thanks all of you who helped me see things clearer and gave me the confidence I need to get started. I really appreciated the input from all of you. If you have any additional comments, please feel free to express them.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Burch
    Jason, I've been there, done that.

First, how much money do you want/need to make?

excellent point....

Hi Jason. I've been a hobbyist all my life. My dad got me into it very young. Now, I'm 32 and feel like I have the workshop that an old man should have. LOL..

I've always wanted to turn in my laptop and turn to woodworking fulltime. I've built an entertainment center, a fireplace mantel (posted here at SMC), multiple small tables, a bed for my son (my favorite!), a dresser for the wife and countless other items (I would guess around 75-100 items of substance in all, not counting actual construction projects). Even after all that, I feel I still need years of fine tuning my skills to get up to snuff with what some of the guys do here.

I'm a bit of a perfectionist with what I do and really feel that most of my woodworking projects are "good enough" (not perfect). They look good in general to me and I get a lot of great compliments from others, but in the end, I know things that could have been done better, different, etc.. If I were paying for those items, I would expect the craftsman to already know what could have been done better and done it.

I guess what I'm trying to say is try to live your dream, but do not stop doing what already pays the bills to follow that dream without more experience. Try some projects on the side (working nights/weekends) and see how it turns out. You will know if you can make a decent living out of your woodworking without having to "bet the farm" on it. Unless you're a woodworking prodigy, take baby steps and you'll get to where you want to go.

Please don't take this as negative... Just make sure you have all the angles covered before you take the leap.

And if you do............... BEST WISHES!!!!!
    Last edited by Al Bois; 01-05-2007 at 10:08 PM.