Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Woodworker

Jason... by all means live your dream. Just understand that putting food on the table using a woodshop is not the easiest thing to do. Like Conrad, I am also 53, and also started to make and sell woodcrafts at shows in the local area a couple years ago. I'm an electronics tech, and that is what puts food on the table, but I've been working wood for 20+ years and decided few years ago to try and make a little money at it. Couple things... you've got to be VERY organized. As was said, time in the shop actually making product is only one piece of the pie. Not trying to burst anybodies bubble, but supporting a family with your woodshop will be tough if you’re just starting out. However, as a supplement to your income, it can be very rewarding. Example: In 6 shows and a few misc sales, I sold $4600 worth of product with a profit after expenses of about $3400. That actually equates to an AVERAGE over the whole year of about 5 hours a week either in the shop making product or standing behind a booth selling it. What that does for me is it allows me to buy toys I normally could not afford. Just bought a shelix cutterhead for my 15 inch Yorkie planer and another one for my 8" Grizz jointer using the profits from those shows last year. Here is an example of the kind of things I make and sell. This is a nutcracker I designed... works well. I sell them for $6. Sold about $1000 worth of these this past year. They are somewhat complicated to make, but on the other hand, FUN to make. With the jigs I designed, I can make between 3 and 4 per hour rough boards to finished product if I make a run of 50 or so at a time. I make them out of oak, cherry, walnut, ash and maple.
    WALNUT

NUTCRACKER

WALNUT MEETS NUTCRACKER
    One can never have too many jigs.

Hi Jason,
    For me, one of the hardest parts of making money with custom woodworking is knowing in advance how much to quote for a project, particularily for labour. I don't like to crank out the same thing over and over again, and so I find myself working out new designs and methods of work with each successive project. This can make it very difficult to assess how many hours I will be putting into a particular job, and I tend to often underpay myself to compensate for overly optomistic projections. What has been said already in this thread is very true - that it is one thing to develop your skills in woodworking, but if your business skills aren't just as developed (or more so) then you might be headed for some stressful situations.
    If you do start wooodworking professionally before you have much experience, the strongest piece of advice that I can offer is to not oversell yourself - that is, be completely upfront and honest about what sort of experience you have and what aspects of the job you are or aren't well versed in. If the prospective client is turned off by your inexperience, it's better to end it before it begins. However, I find a lot of people really appreciate being spoken to candidly and directly, and generating that trust can often build considerably more confidence in you than a lengthy list of laurels will. I learned this the hard way - when I started working independently, I was afraid to look 'unprofessional', and without any intention of being decietful I portrayed myself as being somewhat more experienced and confident than I actually was. This resulted in me biting off more than I could comfortably chew, and I had to work ridiculously long, stressful hours on a couple of jobs just to barely pull them off. I decided then and there that professionalism, for me, wasn't about projecting any image but the real one, and simply doing the best work I knew how to do. I haven't backed myself into a stressful work situation since.
    And I wholeheartedly concur with the others: You're never too old to learn something new. Good luck with it.

I agree with Todd's question, who much money do you need to make? I would assume you need to figure out what you can get by on i.e. monthly income. Do you have other income coming in i.e spouse?
    I think once you do this you will find out what area you need to target(entertainment centers,etc.) how much you need to borrow and emmerse yourself in that area.

my .02.

BTW. For those who build furniture and sell furniture for a living, what kind of insurance do you need to have? i.e. a kid climbs a entertianment center and it falls down on injures him/her. Just curious??

I am a bit of a perfectionist also. I need things to look just right or I'm not happy with it either. I am not the kind of person that would jump in that freely, I have to think alot about what I am about to do. So thank you very much for the comments

Seeing as you consider yourself a perfectionist, then I would expect you to have the perfect business plan and the perfect business model, the perfect set of products and identified the perfect employees and business location and market before making a perfect leap with any eyes perfectly opened!

Todd

I can give you a little useful insight into what you are planning on doing.

I am 49 and just recently got into WW only a few short months ago. Like you I had the same questions and like you I was lucky to find the Creek.

I have since spent a great deal of time building almost all of my shop cabinets and furniture as well as my Pentz cyclone. I have learned a great deal building all these things and have gained a lot of understanding just reading the posts and seeing the examples of so much fine woodworking here at the Creek.

I dont think I will be ready to truely earn money woodworking for some time yet as I have much technique and experiance to gain but just being here at SMC is a good start.

My dream was to build beautiful and intricate humedores. Living here in Tampa (huge cigar city theres prob as many tabacco shops as pizza deliveries) I think I can sell them if they are professional quality. I still have my dream but I realized the road was going to be just a bit longer than I first thought, though it is much more enjoyable than I first thought.

Any way, my advice is build as many of your own shop furniture as you can using as many different techniques as you see here in Creek, finger joints, mortise and tenon, splines, bisquites, raised panel, inset panel, edge joints, etc.

I have a hodgepodge of different looking furniture because I have tried as many different techniques as I can. I have also done metal work and welding while building my cyclone. I've worked with plastic while making my dust hoods, and of course with wood making my furniture and jigs.

I have gained not only experiance but also confidence in what I can do and acheive.

And, of course, you have a great resource here. Search the archives and you will find an answer for almost anything you will need.

So welcome and good luck.
    Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.

And the most important word to learn is "accurate". Almost right just won't get it done when you're wanting to be paid a living wage.
    I've had young folk wanting to work in the cabinet shop who can't even read a tape.
    Bill

welcome

Hey jason,

when I first got into ww I had all of the tools but lacked the experience. I decided that I wanted to do it for a living and I am 31 going on five years as a full time ww. I found a local woodworker that I knew was talented and respected and asked him if I could shadow him on my spare time to learn some things and in return clean his shop run deliveries etc. I learned more than I could from any books and it was free. being in the north you should have no problem finding talented ww's that may be open to something of the sort. Also when you think you are confident enough start building clients find designers, architects, shops etc. that will market your skills for you, and let them do the sales for you, it all depends on what products you are trying to build. just dont get discouraged. their is always room in this industry for talent and creativity. good luck. p.s. you have to love woodworking and not look at it as a job. plus it is the journey that is the reward not the destination.

I have learned a great deal by reading your comments and stories, it has given me many ideas and ways of going about how to do this. I am going to take my time and with a lot of faith and a little luck maybe I can get this thing going in the future. For those who are wondering I have a wife who also works out of the home, and I am really gratefull she is so supportive.