Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP dripping wet tools!

Angry HELP dripping wet tools!

Hi All,

It has been in the 40s- 50s here and raining the last few days and every piece of iron in my shop is covered in condensation.

Will a fan help reduce or eliminate this?

Would a 100 watt light bulb left on under the lathe, and under the table of the TS and BS help?

The shop is not climate controlled and will not be until at least next summer. A dehumidifier will not work as the shop is not sealed around the doors and soffit vents.

Thanks,
    Last edited by Charles McKinley; 01-06-2007 at 5:11 PM.
    Chuck

When all else fails increase hammer size!
    "You can know what other people know. You can do what other people can do."-Dave Gingery

Charles I feel your pain, my wife left the garage door open the other day and it rained with a heavy wind. Needless to say all the iron in the shop got wet and the entire floor was wet. I immeadiatly dried off the tools and later when I got off work I spent about 5 hours cleaning the rust off and waxing the ts, jointer and lathe, since there was so much moisture in the shop I ran a kerosine heater all day and most of the night to help dry things out I also ran it all day the second day and it still has not dried out completly but it was a big help.
    Larry

Fuel Oil

Quote Originally Posted by Charles McKinley
    every piece of iron in my shop is covered in condensation.
    Will a fan help reduce or eliminate this?
    Fans - not unless you can vent it.

I'd get a rag and coat every bit of iron with Fuel Oil or Kerosene they both drive water off. and prevent re-adhesion of water.
    Use a spritzer for those hard to access areas.
    This works, I know it works , I have done it for the same reason you must.

Of course cleaning it up is no walk in the park either.

In theory you could use WD 40 but I don't trust the stuff that much.

Interestingly enough, when I woke up this morning, the windows in my shop were fogged, but there was no moisture on any tools. For some reason, I've never had that issue...

'Just clean 'em up and get a protective coating on them if you don't already have one applied. I use simple paste wax, but some folks prefer other products.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I live in south mississippi & winter here is pretty much as you discribed. Paste wax.

g
    We are here on Earth to do good to others. What the others are here for, I don't know.

W. H. Auden

Same story here Charles.

I use a combination of WD-40, Kroil and LPS to clean the tops. Then I apply a Marine Paste wax,and keep the machines covered when not in use.

The WD-40 is fine to use to clean tops, just don't get it into any parts that need to stay lubricated. It's a degreaser, as well as a water displacer.

Wax your machines and keep them covered. It's about all that you can do at this point.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 01-06-2007 at 10:59 PM.

Wet Tools..

Ditto to paste wax..

What about adding a thermostatically controlled heater? I've been looking at adding one of these to my shop, more for heating than condensation:

Either this small model...
    http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...t_6970_595_595

Or this bigger one, depending on your shop size...
    http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...6377_200316377

Todd

I get that situation every spring. The only thing I've found that keeps my machines from rusting is to coat the uncoated steel with a thick coat of Boeshield and then use the HTC tool covers. Eventually the condensation disapears and everything is fine.

Bioshield and HTC machine covers have been a God send in my shop.

Thanks guys,

I guess I'll have to get some tool covers. The tops have good coat of boeshield and paste wax on top of that. every scratch through it will need cleaned up though. I'll strip the whole works and start over.

What are the HTC covers made from? Where did you order them?

Thanks again,
    Chuck

When all else fails increase hammer size!
    "You can know what other people know. You can do what other people can do."-Dave Gingery

Maybe I can help. I took flying lessons, and weather was a large part of the written exam.

The condensation happens when the air temperature falls below the "dew point". Warm air, for various reasons, has more "room" between the molecules than cooler air does. A given volume of warm air can carry more water vapor in it than the same volume of cooler air can. That is why there is very low humidity in the winter. The "dew point" is the temperature to which air needs to be cooled to become saturated by the water vapor already present in the air. If the temperature falls below the dew point, the water vapor will be released as condensation, fog, or rain depending on the temperatures and dew points aloft (it takes a thick layer of very humid air cooling below the dew point to make rain).

Temperature is the result of things at ground level absorbing energy from the sun. (Jim's window). In an enclosed shop where the sun doesn't hit anything, the temperature of everything is a result of absorbing & releasing heat to and from the surrounding air.

Say for example that the outside temperature is 43 degrees and falling (evening), the dewpoint is 38, and the ambient air temperature in your shop is about the same as the outside air. All of the metal tools and surfaces in your shop will absorb and release faster than the wood, plastic, cloth, and other materials will. As the air temperature falls, the metals release heat. When the temperature of the metal is at or below the dew point, condensation will form on them. The other materials will be warmer than the metals because they release heat more slowly, and there won't be any condensation forming on them when the air temp and dew point are equal. (If both the temperature and dew point are below freezing, you will get frost instead of water.) By the time the wood cools to the dew point, the water vapor will already have been "squeezed out" of the air (molecules getting closer together as the air cools).

A couple of ways to prevent this.

Keep the temperature in your shop above the dew point at all times.

Keep the temperature of your metals above the dew point at all times.

Insulate your shop, even if it is not climate controlled. The idea is to make your entire shop warm and cool more slowly than the rest of the world. Let the condensation / frost form on the things that change temperature faster than your shop. If the temperature in your shop passes through the dew point temperature after the rest of the world does, there won't be enough water vapor left to form surface moisture. Plants warm & cool the fastest (because of their high water content). That's why dew forms on plants, metal, and glass (Jim's window again) in the morning, but not on concrete, which warms and cools much slower.

Cover your tools to prevent moist air from coming into contact with the metal. A towel or blanket would work. If it is humid enough in your part of the world to saturate the towel, go with plastic instead (or in addition to the towel).

Michael

Excellant advise Michael. Thanks. My shop is insulated and so far I haven't had any concerns with moisture on my tools. I also have a heater out there but do not let it run when I'm not in the shop. I'm just funny that way. Heck, I even turn off the battery recharge station for my cordless tools when I leave the shop.

Brad

IMHO, your best shot is to install a couple of electric radiation heaters of the type that glow in the dark under the ceiling. They will not heat the air but radiate to the steel and tools beneath. To avoid condensation, you want to make sure that your tools and machines are not colder than the air and that's what you will achieve in this way. Hard on the electricity bill though!

I had a similar problem in my old shop. A dehumidifier worked wonders despite the fact that the shop wasn't really that well sealed. The 2x4 walls were insulated but the ceiling was just 1" styrofoam panels and it had old garage doors.