Thread: Gloat...and question.

Gloat...and question.

A trip to the local Woodcraft store has pried some cash out of my moth eaten wallet. Somehow it always happens.

I've been doing mortises by hand (well a drill and chisel is more acurate) all my life. However, there is a library in my immediate future so I've been thinking about the faster way. So the Delta 1/2 HP Mortiser Model 14-651 has been ordered...

Now...for those out there with one of these types of fancy mo'chines ... anything I need to know before I rip into the box and plug it in? You can't change my mind about my pick...I'm stuburn don't ya know. But is there anything I need to look out for?

I'll be sure to give a review of it once I get it unboxed and electrified.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Is a great machine Glenn, but there's not much to do to it out of the box except plug it in and turn it on. The bits are sharp and ready to go. I haven't needed the capacity so the riser block sits in a drawer in my work bench.
    Dennis

I was taught about the nickel spacer. Put the square chisel in place with a nickle between the shoulder of the chisel and the top. Put the drill even with the bottom and then take out the slack left by the nickle. (yes, I know I spelled a word two different ways but I can't remember how to spell the word that represents a single coin containing 5 cents.)
    Lynn J. Sonier

Remarks noted....Thanks! And I looked it up... nickel.
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Mortiser Info

Glen,
    Congrats on the mortiser. They are very handy machines.
    I have a story on setting a mortiser up that may be of interest to you. See the link below.

http://www.newwoodworker.com/setupmort.html
    "Because There Is Always More To Learn"

Tom-

Nice article and a very handy site!! I'd visited your site a while back and it's a great reference for those that are just starting and those of us that need occasional reminders about technique! Thanks!

Sorry Glenn, didn't mean to hijack this thread. Congrats on the mortiser also! One of those critters are quickly coming to the top of the wish list.

Just curious but what made you go with the Delta over Jet, Fischer, etc.? No judgements, just curious.
    Last edited by Mark Hulette; 11-18-2003 at 11:37 AM.
    Mark

"Diplomacy is the art of saying "Nice doggie" until you can find a rock."
    Will Rogers

Mark, I chose the Delta over the Jet et al because it seemed easier to use and worked better. It was the editors choice in one of the wood mags recently.

It has a cast iron bed instead of mdf, rack and pinion fence adjustment and larger capacity with the riser block. The angle of the handle can be adjusted without tools and besides having better access to the bits, it has a one-tool bit changing. It fixed nearly all the annoying problems of the first generation benchtop mortisers.
    Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hulette
    Just curious but what made you go with the Delta over Jet, Fischer, etc.? No judgements, just curious.
    The table redesign is much more stable. Weighs >10lbs more.
    It comes with a 2 inch risor.
    It comes with 4 pretty decent bits. Never found any bad ones.
    Gas-filled head stabilizer... seems more solid.
    The fence...
    Overall machining and solidness...just felt better.

Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hintz
    Glen,
    Congrats on the mortiser. They are very handy machines.
    I have a story on setting a mortiser up that may be of interest to you. See the link below.

http://www.newwoodworker.com/setupmort.html
    Thanks to all for the up-beat feedback!

And TOM, that is a SUPER article! Much, MUCH more info than provided by the OEM and easy to follow. You can bet that I'll have a printout of it next to me before I "officially" place that mortiser into "production"! Thanks!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Quote Originally Posted by John Miliunas
    Thanks to all for the up-beat feedback!

And TOM, that is a SUPER article! Much, MUCH more info than provided by the OEM and easy to follow. You can bet that I'll have a printout of it next to me before I "officially" place that mortiser into "production"! Thanks!
    John,
    I'm glad the story was of help.
    Have fun with the new mortiser!
    "Because There Is Always More To Learn"

Congrats on your new tool!!

Get the honing cones available from Lee Valley...the chisels will thank you for it! (so will your projects...)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I just installed an x-y vise for mine. Sure is a nice set up and fast for moving

to the next place to mortise and the wood piece stays firm without moving.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Right
    I just installed an x-y vise for mine. Sure is a nice set up and fast for moving

to the next place to mortise and the wood piece stays firm without moving.
    Dave, what flavor/vendor of vise did you install on that?
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

I have had the article for a while. I threw it away when I completed it last week but I can dig it out for you. I bought it from Grizz and it is the same
    vice in the article. To make it work you take out the bottom screw & handle and turn it around and and drill & tap for the 2 bolts holding the screw mechanism in placed. I had to turn my base around backwards which worked great for my Craftman to give me more height in case I had anything that might be 6" high in the future.
    You have to turn the screw around as the handle faces the machine.
    I will try my hand at a picture soon.

Nice choice Glenn. I am sure you will get a lot of use from it.
    If sawdust were gold, I'd be rich!

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1