Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ca + finger = [long]

Ca + finger = [long]

Was applying ca to a pen using the plastic over the finger tip method, the ca bottle had a gob stuck to the end that was hard and sometimes you don`t realize its plugged, at first i thought it was and didn't realize some glue had squirted out, ran across the plastic and pooled on the tip of my finger. I started feeling a little heat on my finger, no problem it's just from the friction, then it got pretty warm, really warm, very hot , i looked at my finger just as the ca was going off, it skinned over so the 1/4" drop of ca wouldn`t drop off, tried blowing it off but that just seem to set it off more, by now there is a wisp of smoke coming off the finger like it was a match you just blew out. I paniced looking for something with water in it, i`m in my parents unfinished basement, the only luxury my 70+ year old dad installed down there was a toilet, i dashed across the room with my hand out stretched in front of me with the smoke rolling off it, thankfully i left the seat up earlier and more thankfull i flushed, i jammed my hand in there like it was on fire, it left a nice blister, couldn`t help but laugh as i sat there with my hand in the toilet.
    "
    Last edited by john blanchard; 01-07-2007 at 9:31 PM.
    johnnyinnb
    He`s a block off the old chip

John, I have to admit - that's a first for me! Great comedy scene material but I seriously hope your finger is OK! So, what was that all about?
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Sorry....I just had to laugh as I was reading it. I can just see the smoke coming off your fingertip with a look like You write a good story!!!
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

well at least you don't have to go through that again.....
    with any luck...
    Great story --
    I hope the finger will be good enough to turn some more..
    --Chris

" The best part of waking up, is making a bowl or a cup"
    Stolen Folgers Slogan--It's OK to sing it, we can't hear you

The "whisp" is something you see quite often right at the point of time that the stuff "cures"...

I keep a bottle of CA "remover" handy in the shop... Works on that darn spray foam, too...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Hunter
    well at least you don't have to go through that again.....
    with any luck...
    Great story --
    I hope the finger will be good enough to turn some more..
    --Chris
    The finger is good, there is a 3/16th" spot that is still discoloured a week later, it hurt for a couple days.
    johnnyinnb

"tried blowing it off"

moisture in your breathe makes it cure faster(poor mans accellerant) hence the more smoke and setting it more.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Bourgeois
    "tried blowing it off"

moisture in your breathe makes it cure faster(poor mans accellerant) hence the more smoke and setting it more.
    It was an automatic reaction to blow on it, then it occurred to me thats how I help it set up when i`m finishing pens.
    johnnyinnb

Aw man... funny story.

Sorry John I had to laugh to. I could just imagine blowing on it and of course the moist air just makes it get that much hotter. I am sure that would have been a picture for the ages you standing there with your hand in the stool.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

That is too funny.... I did that once, but I never got so desperate as to make for the toilet
    Isaiah 55:6-7

Mek

I thought I would offer a piece of advice here that I hope will help. The chemical MEK, "Methel Ethel Keytone" is a very cheap remover/thinner for CA. , as well as some other adhesives. I hope that I got the spelling correct. This can be found at HD or Lowes in my area. Its around $15 a gallon in NYS. That is a very funny story by the way, hope all is well with your finger. Tim

It was funnier reading your story than it was when I did something similar to myself about six months ago. My solution was to grab a shop towel to wipe my palm where the thin CA had pooled. I suppose that I hardly need to say that I glued the shop towel to my hand.

WIFE: "Bill put down the shop towel and go wash up for dinner".
    ME: "The towel is clean, I think that I will just use it for a napkin".

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Gruss
    I thought I would offer a piece of advice here that I hope will help. The chemical MEK, "Methel Ethel Keytone" is a very cheap remover/thinner for CA. , as well as some other adhesives. I hope that I got the spelling correct. This can be found at HD or Lowes in my area. Its around $15 a gallon in NYS. That is a very funny story by the way, hope all is well with your finger. Tim
    To be honest, it may very well be in comercial CA remover also, but I would suggest people limit their exposure to it. MEK (methyl ethyl ketone) has been shown to cause birth defects in lab animals. Does that mean it causes them in humans? maybe it does, maybe it doesn't. using a few drops to get off CA probably isn't too harmful, but probably not a good idea to use it as a general solvent on a regular basis without ventilation & PPE.

http://www.jtbaker.com/msds/englishhtml/m4628.htm

Too funny!

I confess to living dangerously and not having solvent around. Thing I'll invest in some!!
    Dave Fried

Speak softly and carry a large bonker.