Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Golden Corral

Golden Corral

Wife and I got a gift card for them over Christmas. What a disappointment. I did ask to see the manager but after waiting 20 minutes I just gave up. In my opinion the only thing that was even halfway palatable was the steak and the deserts and those where just so so.

I could have added about $7 to what I spent and ate at the local steakhouse and had a meal that is darn hard to finish.

I agree, the Golden Corral is perhaps the worst food that I have actually paid for...

We had one for about a year, and they were not great, but ok, but they just closed because they were losing money.
    Martin, Granbury, TX
    Student of the Shaker style

Ours is actually pretty good. Different management, I guess.
    _Aaron_
    SawmillCreek Administrator

I think the one here in Duncan is just fine. Matter of fact, I think their steaks are the best in town. We have just a few steak houses in our rural area and I think Golden Corral's are the best. I pretty much like the remainder of their food also, particularly the tilapia that they serve during the day.
    Wolf Kiessling

In the pursuit of excellence, there is reward in the creation of a wondrous relationship between the artisan and the soul of the tree

Must have a lot to do with local management and suppliers - ours is rather good - food is tasty and well prepared.
    I have been black and blue in some spot, somewhere, almost all my life from too intimate contacts with my own furniture. - Frank Lloyd Wright

I have been black and blue and bloody in some spot, somewhere, almost all my life from too intimate contacts while building my own furniture. - Rennie Heuer

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Mickley
    Wife and I got a gift card for them over Christmas. What a disappointment. I did ask to see the manager but after waiting 20 minutes I just gave up. In my opinion the only thing that was even halfway palatable was the steak and the deserts and those where just so so.

I could have added about $7 to what I spent and ate at the local steakhouse and had a meal that is darn hard to finish.
    I've eaten at the one in Lima, OH where my son is going to school, not bad at all, equal or better than Old Country Buffet and others of that ilk. Salad Bar was excellent though.. food was hot and decent. Must be the local management I would think. Different locations - some good, some worse.

I took him and 7 of his buddy's -- I am quite sure Golden Corral lost money on that group. I remember when I could put away food like that -- it still shows
    Mike-in-Michigan (Richland that is) <br> "We never lack opportunity, the trouble is many don't recognize an opportunity when they see it, mostly because it usually comes dressed in work clothes...."

There used to be one in our town. I never went, but the parking lot was pretty full by 5:30 PM most days, so somebody must have liked it.

As a frequent road traveler, I go to Golden Corral once in a while. Sometimes it's OK, sometimes it's not. There seems to be a lot of variability from place to place. In general, it is not my first choice and I usually don't feel like it is a good value for the money. Since I cover six states for my job, I tend to frequent chains that are consistent no matter what town I'm in.
    Ernie Hobbs
    Winston-Salem, NC

I went to the one in Kenner outside Now Orleans. It wasn't bad but once was enough.
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

We have a GC here in McKinney, and it does a very good business. Week days from 2 to 4 they have a senior citizens discount of about 50%. Our GC is kept clean, the waitresses are friendly and give good service. The salad bar is good with a big selection. The vegetables are pretty much what you expect in a cafeteria setting. They have good spit broiled chicken, and pretty good pot roast. Every evening they have a different featured meat like steak, shrimp, Salmon, etc. Oh yes, the desert bar has a lot of items that will quickly put on the pounds. I like the banana pudding.

My only complaint is that the coffee is bad. Starbucks need not fear.

Admittedly it is not a Salt Grass Steakhouse, but a good steak there is over $20. The two of us can eat our fill at GC for under $14.

Like others have said, it must be the management and location.
    Best Regards, Ken

We have a GC in our area and it is a hit or miss proposition, mostly miss. Our GC is company owned resturant, which you would think will be better than not. NOT. There is a GC in N. Knoxville that is a franchise of GC and there is night and day difference. I have eaten in several and the best one is in Marietta. GA. It is a franchise that has 23+/- sister resturants in its group.
    If mama ain't happy............you know the rest!

My only complaint about the Golden Corral here is that it's always so crowded. There must be a lot of people around here that thinks it's pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by John Shuk
    I went to the one in Kenner outside Now Orleans. It wasn't bad but once was enough.
    That pretty much covers my opinion of the one here in ABQ too.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I don't know. Maybe I expect to much. Prices must vary between locations, The one here cost us 24.45 for the wife and I.

I guess this is the reason I don't eat at chains for the most part. I used to know every good place to eat along the I-90 I-94 corridor between here and Washington State. I had some places I ate I had to park on the ramp and walk a 1/4 mile to get to the restaurant.

Michal, I have a great nephew going to the trade school at Lima for diesel mechanics