Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments....

Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments....

Good Morning Everyone,

It's been a whirlwind of a week for last week. I was oncall for the day job and wound up working a few nights as well. Being 47, I'm finding it harder to do an all-nighter at work than it used to be.

Needless to say that I didn't get ANY shop time over the last 7 days and I'm in the final spray finishing phase for the computer desk project. YEA!!!!!
    I will move both tops inside the house to cure for about 1 week and then begin a minor rubout of the top finish and deliver the desk.

Once I can get the shop clear of the critical finish, I can start some serious work on the kitchen table and a quick and dirt chest of drawers to be used for a "changing table" for a couple of friends at church.

After all that, I plan on starting the LOML's new kitchen pantry and start roughing out several pieces on the lathe to get back to the spinny side of life.

So what did YOU do this weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

d,

It sounds like you got more to do than 10 people could my friend!!!!!!!! Sure wish I wuz close enough to give you a hand or 2.

I had a great day on Saturday putting the finishing touches on the pulpit and getting it up to the church. Sunday was a wonderfuld day too. 2 great morning services and then our usual Sunday nite group met at our house. I'm actually looking forward to taking a few days off from woodworking before beginning the next project.

Hope everyone has a great week!!!!!

t
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I finally found some shop time this weekend. My wife wanted me to make some clipboards for Christmas for our teacher friends. It didn't happen, and I really heard about it. So, I decided to go through the scrap pile, make a few, and store them away for next year. I was able to get the clipboards ready for finish and hardware.

The bad part was I dulled all of my hand scrapers, my cabinet scraper and my scraper plane, getting them ready for the finish. I now have a bunch of sharpening to do.

I slept in, watched a lot of Football, and thought about all the woodworking I could be doing if I wasn't so lazy.
    If at 1st you don't succeed, go back to the lumberyard and get some more wood.

I got a little time in the shop on Saturday (with the doors open...72º) and got the shellac sprayed on the cherry vanity project in preparation for final finishing. I also did a little work on the new trailer for some additional tie-downs. Sunday morning, Fred Voorhees came over and we both "broke our backs" cutting up firewood for a few hours before I had to head off to a Russian Christmas party.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Got the unisaw running. Opening up the hole was quite a challange. Used a power nibbler, a sawsall and a side grinder. Reinstalled the table top, got it alligned and did a couple test cuts.
    Those who sense the winds of change should build windmills, not windbreaks.

Dave Wilson

John,

Great looking clipboards- and if that is that wood from your scrap pile I can't imagine what must be in the good pile!!!

I finally finished a lapdesk for my wife this weekend. Saturday was smoothing and sanding and repairing, Sunday was finishing and hardware - this project has been full of painful learning experiences- but she is happy with it. I will hopefully post a few pics and the story in the next day or so.

Mike

I finally got around to cutting the back and staining the bookcase/secretary I'm building for my daughter. I really hate staining, but that was the only way to get the color she wanted. I also put some new guide bearings on my band saw and installed the 1/2 Woodslicer blade. I sent my wife to Purtis Bearings to get three of each (side and back), thinking they'd be a couple of bucks each. The total was over $60. Yikes! Next time I'll order them from Grizzly. Even with shipping it will be less.

I'll post pics of the secretary when it's done.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by John Headley
    I finally found some shop time this weekend. My wife wanted me to make some clipboards for Christmas for our teacher friends. It didn't happen, and I really heard about it. So, I decided to go through the scrap pile, make a few, and store them away for next year. I was able to get the clipboards ready for finish and hardware.
    ...The bad part was I dulled all of my hand scrapers, my cabinet scraper and my scraper plane, getting them ready for the finish. I now have a bunch of sharpening to do.
    Being a teacher, I can tell you that they will be greatly appreciated. Those are beautiful and are a lot better than the plastic ones I use every day at school.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

I worked in the shop Saturday morning putting together a wood frame for a glass display case. Did a little home maintenance for my MIL Saturday afternoon. Went to church Sunday morning, watched a movie with LOML some of Sunday afternoon and worked in the shop some more on the display case Sunday evening. Not much, kinda nice to loaf that much. I'm used to putting out a house full of rp doors in a weekend.
    Just keep working on it. It'll give up and do right after a while.

Very nice clipboards John! You get a lot more accomplished per weekend than I do!
    I like the ones with the geometric center bands. How did you make the banding? Glue up of small individual pieces?

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Mijal
    I like the ones with the geometric center bands. How did you make the banding? Glue up of small individual pieces?
    Thanks for the comments. The geometric bands is an inlay. I took an inlay class a few years ago, and we spent an hour one night gluing up this pattern. By the end of the night, each participant took home a couple of 1/16" strips ripped with a bandsaw. The class was so fast paced, I thought I could remember how it was done, but 3 yrs later I realize there is no way I can remember how to repeat it, and I can't find my notes. So I used the strips we made in the class. It is actually a copy of a pattern sold by Woodcraft and others. The inlay was made out of maple and cherry.

The woods used in the different boards were Black cherry, wild cherry, walnut, bubinga, maple, blackwood, red oak, and QS red oak.

Saturday we had 15 hyperactive small children over for the kidlet's 2nd birthday party. That was fun. Didn't expect to get in any shop time, but Sunday afternoon cleared up and I managed to get a first coat of USL on the backs of the cabinet doors.

One of Benjamin's birthday presents from Grandma was a "Tool Truck", this toy truck with big plastic screws and bolts holding the wheels etc. on, a vice on the back, etc., and a little cordless drill with matching interchangeable bits. Within 24 hours he was using the drill to install and remove the bolts without assistance. This kid scares me.

All of the drywall in the basement is hung and the taping and mudding is 1/2 done. I expect to be done with taping and mudding this week!!! Who knows... maybe I will even find time to paint the sucker!

Dan
    A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish.

Sunday afternoon, I learned that I do not like looking, finding, and then removing 150 year old square cut nails out of 150 year old Red and White Oak timbers.

Also, jointing this wood 6x5x pick a lenght with a planer is an experience as well. A bandsaw sled really helped.