Thread: Introducing Myself

Introducing Myself

Morning All

Just saying Hi!! Been lurking for abit, Thought it was time say Hello.

Here's a URL to my photo album, feel free to have a look around. Just some shop pics and projects pics I've done over the years.

http://www.woodshopphotos.com/galler...dworking-Stuff

Thanks
    Mike

Mike...
    Welcome to SMC. You do nice stuff! I really was drawn to the cherry serving tray.
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Mike,

Its great to have you here! That is quite the collection of work, very impressive.

The Creek is a great place to be glad you decided to be a part of the family.

noah
    To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; to earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; to appreciate beauty, to find the best in others; to leave the world a little better; wheter by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; to know even one life has breathed easeir because you have lived. This is the meaning of success.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Welcome Mike,

Looks like you have been a busy guy. Nice work. The antique table is a really interesting piece.

Bob

Blog Entries

Smile Welcome

Mike,
    Glad you decided on jumping in "The Creek" with the rest of us. Great looking pictures of your work.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Thumbs up Welcome

Hi Mike -

Welcome to the Creek. Pull up a log and sit a while.

Nice work you have posted on on your website. Thanks for showing us!

Ted

Thanks for the warm welcome!!!

Glenn, the serving tray came out of Canadian Homeworkshop Mag. Nov. 2001 edition. I made 3 as gifts, they were well rececived.

Bob, yes the Antique table is very unique, I was able to trace it back by a Manufacture furniture label on the underside of the lower shelf. Made by London Furniture Manufacture in London, England
    around the turn of the century. The table had to be completely disassembled, stripped, outter upper frame remade, reglued, stained and refinished. I was thrilled with the end product, so was my Aunt.

Again Thanks for the warm Welcome!
    Mike

Mike,

Beautiful work!!! I was wondering if you could describe the finishing processes used on the cherry hall mirror seen here:

http://www.woodshopphotos.com/galler...Stuff/DSCF0067

I'm about to begin work on a cherry crib, and would love to end up with a similar color.

Great work, Mike. I thoroughly enjoyed the gallery of your work and shop. Is your shop at home? How loud is that compressor. I'm thinking of getting one similar to yours but it's not really possible to hear one before you buy. Keep up the great work!

Richard

Mike,

Welcom to the Creek!! I really enjoyed your pics. Keep up the good work.

Terry
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Welcome Mike! I just toured your site. You have made some really nice pieces. Maybe not a house-full, but a real good start! You might consider brightening the photos to show it off just a little better.

How are you cutting your half blind dovetails? They look very nice.

What wood did you use for your dining table? And what finish? It has a nice sheen to it.

Are those doors on the ash amoires solid wood, edge glued, or ply with a banding? They look like solid wood.

Todd.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Pothier
    Great work, Mike. I thoroughly enjoyed the gallery of your work and shop. Is your shop at home? How loud is that compressor. I'm thinking of getting one similar to yours but it's not really possible to hear one before you buy. Keep up the great work!

Richard

Hi Richard

My compressor is my cold room and I've got lines piped to my garage. Let me put it this way, it's not a pleasent experience to be in the cold room when the compressor kicks on. IT'S REALLY LOUD. My shop is in my 2 car garage.

Thanks
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Duane Dennis
    Mike,

Beautiful work!!! I was wondering if you could describe the finishing processes used on the cherry hall mirror seen here:

http://www.woodshopphotos.com/galler...Stuff/DSCF0067

I'm about to begin work on a cherry crib, and would love to end up with a similar color.

Hi Duane

Thanks, the finish on the hall mirror as follow.

Minwax Wood Conditioner (helps prevent the cherry from blotching)
    2 coat of Minwax Red Mahoganny Stain
    5 coats of Minwax High Gloss Wipe on Poly.

Thanks Again
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Burch
    Welcome Mike! I just toured your site. You have made some really nice pieces. Maybe not a house-full, but a real good start! You might consider brightening the photos to show it off just a little better.

How are you cutting your half blind dovetails? They look very nice.

What wood did you use for your dining table? And what finish? It has a nice sheen to it.

Are those doors on the ash amoires solid wood, edge glued, or ply with a banding? They look like solid wood.

Todd.

Hi Todd

Thanks, I'm trying to get on to this picture thing but it'll get there.

The dovetails are handcut as through DT and the drawers are then laminated with a 1/4" veneer to give the half blind effect.

The dining room table is solid walnut, 2 coats of BLO, 6 coats of Chemcraft Pre Catalyzed Lacquer sprayed on, wet sanded to 1200, 2 coats of high gloss paste wax.

The ash doors are edge glued solid wood.

Thanks
    Mike