Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laguna LT-20 "Bowl Turner" Bandsaw?

Laguna LT-20 "Bowl Turner" Bandsaw?

I guess this belongs in the Turner's Forum - please move if you don't think it's relevant.

I'm looking at this new LT-20 "Bowl Turner" bandsaw from Laguna. Anyone bought/ordered one yet? I'm not sure if any have been delivered yet. I thought I'd ask just in case...

I have tentatively put my name down for one to be delivered in the April/May timeframe (when my new workshop should be done). I'd be interested in any feedback from anyone who owns one or has looked at one.

Cheers,
    Dave Fifield

XYZ Laser - 45W Epilog 36EXT, Rotary, Corel X4, Photograv

WOW! 6 HP! What's the price? I'm sure it's way out of my price range! I guess i'm just have to be happy with my Grizzly.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Rosenzweig
    WOW! 6 HP! What's the price? I'm sure it's way out of my price range! I guess i'm just have to be happy with my Grizzly.
    More $$ than a 3520B Lathe. Like you, I can be happy with a bit less.

Dave,
    Just jeolousy is all the feedback I can offer. I saw it at the IWF show and I am sure it would not struggle thru big bowl blanks like my 14" Grizzley does.

Enjoy

Frank
    'Sawdust is better than Prozac'

What makes this a "turners" BS?

Did you guys read any of the other January Sales.. the 14" for 1595$ w/free shipping but at the bottom of the detail info -- "list price 1395$" yep add 200$ to the price give free shipping ... that's the way to my heart. I know they are fine pieces of equipment, but I couldn't buy from someone who can't delete that list price out of the add .. it be like rewarding someone for pulling some dunderhead stunt or lying to me. It gives bait and switch places like Sears a bad name!
    Mike-in-Michigan (Richland that is) <br> "We never lack opportunity, the trouble is many don't recognize an opportunity when they see it, mostly because it usually comes dressed in work clothes...."

Michael,
    Yeah I caught that too. They have two other bandsaws on sale where they pulled the same stunt. Heck at least they throw in a stand with the 14" but that doesn't even begin to approach the $200 price jump.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Jones III
    What makes this a "turners" BS?
    I'm guessing because it's a large band saw (20") to handle big chunks of wood bowl turners like.
    Cool Place, this Sawmill Creek.

I coulda swore there was another thread discussing this machine recently, but couldn't find it. Personally, I think there is a big marketing aspect to the naming of the machine and most folks creating large blanks opt for the chainsaw...there is no reason to saw them perfectly round unless you are within a proverbial hair of your lathe's capacity. My MM16 (an older one) has a 12" resaw height and it's been more than sufficient for the kind of chunks I have cut up on it for turning. Bigger, I'd opt for the chain saw and mount them rough on the Stubby. (I can do 30" diameter inboard, although I wouldn't go anywhere close to that for a bowl...)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    I coulda swore there was another thread discussing this machine recently, but couldn't find it.
    Here: it was over in the 'general' forum.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

While most won't need a bandsaw this big, I found out, after a year of having a 16 HD, that it cut my prep time down by about half, and my turning time down by about 1/3. It paid for itself a couple of times last year. Having a blank with parallel sides and round, compared to the chainsawn blanks is wonderful.
    robo hippy

If you look at the details of the "Special" package, it includes their Resaw King blade, which when bought separately, starts at about $225. Admittedly, it's kind of a gimicky way to get you to buy their blade, but that's where the other $200 comes from.

I bought my LT16HD in a similar package at the woodworking show. For the show special, they also threw in three other blades of my choice for the price. The Resaw King is a good blade, but when it wears out, I'll probably not spend another $225 for a new one.

And with respect to performance, Dave, I've been very pleased with the saw. It's cut everything I've thrown at it, including some 14" thick mesquite. I would expect the LT-20 to be a good machine as well. Enjoy it!
    Last edited by Shannon Grizzell; 01-09-2007 at 8:59 PM.

Of course, the Resaw King is not the right blade for processing turning blanks...resaw blades are made for making straight cuts. In fact, you can screw them up for that purpose by using them on curved cuts. This is yet another thing that confused me about this offering that is supposedly "designed by turners for turners". (I feel the same way about their lathe)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Dave, let me suggest you getting the DVD that Laguna produces it is free and takes about a week to receive. It explains the Bandsaw line quite well and also features their lathes and a new bandsaw add-on called the LogMaster. I was very impressed even though the Pininacle is a bit higher than I want to go at this point. Good luck!
    Success is the sum of Failure and Learning

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    Of course, the Resaw King is not the right blade for processing turning blanks...resaw blades are made for making straight cuts. In fact, you can screw them up for that purpose by using them on curved cuts. This is yet another thing that confused me about this offering that is supposedly "designed by turners for turners". (I feel the same way about their lathe)
    I've seen that althe in person and it is a real beast.
    That said it really isn't a lathe designed with the hobbiest woodturner in mind. It is more of a furniture factory lathe or maybe even a patternmaker's machine.
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.