Thread: Small Christmas turnings ...

Small Christmas turnings ...

I made several small whimsical turnings for Christmas. These are fun and very easy to do. All it takes is your imagination. The pieces are turned poplar, 3" X 8" and painted with acrylics. The pens are from a set of antler a co-worker gave me yesterday. There wasn't much to salvage to get four pieces straight enough pieces for a pen and pencil set, but I made it! I was surprised at how easily the antler turned. Like a very fine grained wood and a pleasure to do. I'll be making a lot more of these. Thanks for looking, have fun and be safe.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thanks, Ron

Hi Ron

Very nice stuff. You can turn the hats on a different axis to give a more anamated look to the snowmen.

Thanks
    The Large print givith
    and the fine print takith away

I have a pen I turned out of Elk antler. It has somewhat of an unpleaseant aroma when turning. Did yours do the same?
    RayJ

Thanks Richard ...

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Allen
    Hi Ron

Very nice stuff. You can turn the hats on a different axis to give a more anamated look to the snowmen.

Thanks

I have to get the hang of the dirrerent axis turning ... haven't done that yet. I try it though.
    Thanks, Ron

Yep, Ray ...

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Johnson
    I have a pen I turned out of Elk antler. It has somewhat of an unpleaseant aroma when turning. Did yours do the same?

It doess stink a little, but sinnce I make custom powder horns and have a lot of experience boiling, ccutting and cleaaning horns, it's not too awfully bad. SWMBO still makess it all happen outside or in the shop. Smart gal.
    Thanks, Ron

Those are some great looking gifts and I'm sure the recipients will love them. You did a good job on the painting too.

Matt