Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The avid collector...

Whether it is ok to just collect tools is not the essence of this story....since the guy never called back to order anything....he , himself must hve been a bit uncomfortable being the avid collector that he was...Chris if you were the guy...I am sorry I mentioned it
    Last edited by Mark Singer; 01-11-2007 at 12:24 PM.
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Tools I don't need now.

In my younger, poorer days there were tools that I just couldn't afford but could have made good use of. Every now and then I come across one of these tools and even though I don't really need them now I sometimes buy and then I have to dream up a project to make use of them.

If I had that kind of cash,(which I don't) I would probably have all kinds of stuff that saw little or no use, but I would have it if I needed it.

I can say every tool in my shop is a user with the exception of some antique stuff I acquired just to have. My nephew has some Die cast tractors that have never been out of the boxes. Most of it limited run stuff. He keeps telling me someday we are going to build a display case for them

And when it comes to tools,, if there are two ways to do some thing, you do it the way that requires a new tool to do the job

5+ years ago I used to read the Oldtools mailing list. It was fun to learn about how to use planes and there was a pretty strong community feel.

But I left because of (a) the high volume and (b) seemed to me that the list was becoming more about collecting than using, which didn't really interest me.
    "It's Not About You."

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Singer
    Whether it is ok to just collect tools is not the essence of this story....since the guy never called back to order anything....he , himself must hve been a bit uncomfortable being the avid collector that he was...Chris if you were the guy...I am sorry I mentioned it
    Mark you had to let the cat out of the bag!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Rosenberger
    Mark you had to let the cat out of the bag!!
    I had a strange feeling...wow $5k to $10k per month....did your wife know
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Part of me says live and let live. And I know that I am in no position to judge the actions of another. And I can think of much worse habits than collecting fine things which are made by fine craftsmen.

Another part of me hopes that the people who make those decisions are making them in view of the widest possible perspective, because I know the world is full of real needs.

Other parts of me are just plane/plain jealous.

Sorry for inserting my heavy thoughts.
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

collector?

From the sounds of it I didn't interpret this guy as a "collector" so much as someone that felt they had to have all of the best before they could attempt woodworking.

If they are a collector, so be it. But if the guy thinks he'll just accumulate all the best tools and magically become a great woodworker, then most likely those tools will soon be for sale. Therefore I need this guys location so I can watch the classifieds.

JH

it sounds like he took the "buy the best tools you can afford" line of thinking to the extreme. hopefully he has stopped buying because he is learning how to use the tools and having some fun.