Thread: Air Hose Reel guidance requested

Air Hose Reel guidance requested

I would like to add an air hose reel to the PFW shop, and only want to buy it once. Does anyone have any suggestions as to brand, source, etc.

Thanks for the help, as always.
    Alan Turner
    Philadelphia Furniture Workshop

Talk to the folks at Coastal Tool up in Hartford and see if they have any recommendations. They are an excellent source for pneumatic tools and may have ideas for a good product to consider.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Alan,

I got a retractable 50' from Griot's. It's a car cleaning type catalog but they have high quality items with high prices to go along with it. I forgot what I paid, $100 maybe. I'd do it again no regrets.

I got one from Lowes I didn't like that as much. It didn't swivel, it was steel and when it retracted the hose would escape the wheel and wrap around the supply line. Now that you made me think back on it, I think I really hated it

Get one similar to griot's, it's enclosed.

Mark

The only good tool I ever got from HF is my air hose reel. Not spring loaded though (no auto rewind). Its black with 50' of red hose included and I have had it for almost a year without a hitch. Hose is maybe slightly stiff but OK for me (item # 40131-OVGA). Nice thick steel and decent finish.
    Strive for perfection...Settle for completion

I have three of these and they have worked well for me

http://www.grizzly.com/products/h5683

Good heavy duty hose and retracts very well
    Legacy Millwork is up and running

Up and coming little bundle of joy (May 31, 2006)
    He's here, cute little boy !!!!!

I have a 50ft 3/8" hose Reelcraft and while they are pricey, it has been bulletproof. No leaks, no issues what so ever. I believe that Grainger sells them but you can check "The Bay" as well.

The reelcraft ones are pricey. Around $200 or so. We have some of them at work, and they are good. I have two inexpensive retractable imported reels. One is a 50' reel in the garage ($100 from Northern tools), and a 25' reel ($50 from Home depot) in the shop. Both use a 3/8" hose. the 3/8" hose is a bit of a drawback on the 25' reel because it sometimes binds up while retracting the last 3 feet. The retract rachet locks work just fine even if they aren't as precision built as the reelcraft reels. Neither one leaks, and I'd know because I keep my compressor powered up 24/7. I like the looks of the grizzly that Justin suggests. The 1/4" hose isn't great for high volume tools, but retracts nicer, and is more flexible. I need another in the garage near the door for tires, and I may have to try that one.

http://www.westerntool.com/product.htm?pid=455624
    http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...70_47578_47578
    You can't beat these if you want a self coiling type. For a low cost low tech one...
    http://www.grizzly.com/products/h0614
    You can buy 100' of of http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...7474_200267474
    I have several mounted to a piece of plywwood and hung on the wall so I can remove it and take it to jobsites.
    Last edited by Rick Lizek; 01-12-2007 at 11:28 AM.

The Nothern tool reel is the one that I have in the garage. I bought it at the Northern tool store in Lynchburg, Va when I happened to be down there.
    I paid $100 for it in the store even though it is $80 online. That 51 lbs adds up to $20 shipping to me. At the time it was the least expensive, and best quality reel that I could find.

I have a Harbor Fright retractable fifty foot reel that I got with a coupon for about 40 bucks. It has worked great!

I got one from Costco several years ago that has worked great for me.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I have a Reelcraft that I got for a great price on ebay. It's still sitting in the basement though - need to get it mounted up in the garage which was why I bought it. The Reelcraft is an industrial quality hose reel - no doubt about it.

13. I have two air hose reels from Craftsman. Before you laugh, they are made by Legacy. Legacy makes top quality reels that are used in many professional shops. Their quality is top notch. I bought one of the cheaper models at first to try to save some money (something like harbor freight). The legacy is normally $150, for a 50' reel, pretty much anywhere you price them. They were on sale at Sears for $90 each. I now have two, and love them. Check legacy out, you won't be disappointed. They rewind accurately every time. Hope this helps. Regards, Bill

I'll second Anthony's post, I have the 50' craftsman air hose made by legacy, and its about 4 years old. I was so impressed with it I got a retractable garden hose for my grandmother made by legacy. (she doesn't have the strength to coil up the regular hose anymore) Amazon sells the legacy hoses and obviously the hoses labeled craftsman are in sears. Either way I would buy both of them again without hesitation.

Drew

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. I was going to go with a more expensive one, but have opted for the Grizzly, based on price. We will use this air hose for nailers, and cleaning, only. We don't run air tools otherwise. Hopefully this unit will last since it won't see heavy duty service.
    Alan Turner
    Philadelphia Furniture Workshop