Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So what is 3 Phase going to cost me for a Delta 43-460 shaper

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    They are up to $200 now. I paid $135 for my PAM-600HD.

http://www.phase-a-matic.com/StaticModels&Prices.htm
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page
    I don't understand the aversion to static converters. I have been using one on my turret milling machine and engine lathe, (3 & 5 hp respectively) for at least 15 years. I have run both machines all day, day after day and I have never had any issues with it. They are inexpensive and easy to install.
    I have been using a static converter on my Unisaw for years now w/ no issues, but now I have 5hp 3phase Shaper so Im buying a Rotary Phase Converter to run them both, This will give me 100% power that I want for the shaper and saw, ...Bruce when you use static you loose 1/3 of your power. (Its kinda hard to run raised panels w/ less than 5hp unless you climb cut,and that takes extra time)
    I Love My Dedicated Machines ! And My Dedicated Wife Loves Me !

Did I miss something? The specs you show say "phase: single", if I read them right.

David

Quote Originally Posted by David Rose
    Did I miss something? The specs you show say "phase: single", if I read them right.

David
    You know I just read that. And I printed it out. Maybe I will end up with a 1 phase shaper after all. It shipped.Who knows what I will get.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Seth Poorman
    I have been using a static converter on my Unisaw for years now w/ no issues, but now I have 5hp 3phase Shaper so Im buying a Rotary Phase Converter to run them both, This will give me 100% power that I want for the shaper and saw, ...Bruce when you use static you loose 1/3 of your power. (Its kinda hard to run raised panels w/ less than 5hp unless you climb cut,and that takes extra time)
    Let me know which one you choose.

Any deals on your static converter?

The Delta model number 43-460 indicates a three phase machine. The 43-455 is the single phase version of this machine.
    http://www.deltamachinery.com/index.asp?e=136&p=958
    http://www.deltamachinery.com/index.asp?e=136&p=959
    Bill Simmeth
    Delaplane VA

Just for grins, do the power lines going by your shop have 3 phase? (count the wires 2 wire=1 phase, 3 wire=3 phase) If there is 3 phase, it couldn't hurt to ask the power company about 3 phase power.

when I asked my power company they quoted $1. per foot, and the line is about 1/2 mile from me. I'm sticking with the two statics I use. one for a delta shaper, the other for my griz saw. They've worked so far, why change.
    Ed

Also looking at the ac drives mentioned. saw units for 1-40 hp for just a couple hundred bucks. is this correct or is there some other equipment required. any other information on this would be helpful.
    Dave

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Poorman
    Bruce when you use static you loose 1/3 of your power. (Its kinda hard to run raised panels w/ less than 5hp unless you climb cut,and that takes extra time)
    Yeah, that’s what they say, but I have run dozens of 3ph Bridgeport mills & lathes over the last three decades and I can’t tell any difference between the way they cut metal and the way my machines cut metal. I can take just as heavy of a cut and the machine reacts and sounds exactly the same. I have both my mill and lathe coming off the same converter.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I have purchased a G5843 Autogen Static Phase Converter - 3-7hp for $100. I also have the line on a 5hp HVAC (from the top of a Toys R Us building) 184T 3phase motor for $50. Will that be enough for an idler motor? I will get the specs obn the motor soon. I know 7.5 hp would be better but price wise this is Cheap.

So far:
    $999 43-460 shaper
    $105 SPC
    $138 router bit spindles
    $$Still need a mobile base
    Last edited by Mike Heidrick; 01-14-2007 at 1:04 AM.

It is really easy to make a rotary phase converter. For many years I owned a machine shop that did not have 3 phase. I made a rotary phase converter. All you have to do is find like a 7 to 10hp 3 phase motor rated at 3450rpm. Buy a stato-phase converter to start the motor with a blade switch rated for the amperage. and then wire your equipment into the roto-phase. I had a seperate 3 phase panel for all of my equipment that was hooked to the roto-phase. It worked great and cost very little. I found the motor at a salvage yard and paid like $10 dollars for the motor. I had to put bearings in it and make a floor mount and cover for the shaft but I had less than $100 dollars in the motor and about $100 dollars for the stato-phase. This was for a 10hp roto-phase. Pretty cheap and a slick setup that was not noisy at all. As the machine shop got bigger I had to get 3phase installed. and at the time cost about 5 grand. But for about 5 years the converter was flawless. For a hobby type shop would last you a lifetime. I am not sure about the AC converters they sound intresting but have personally never used one. Good Luck Alan

How much for 3/4" spindle?

Anybody know how much a 3/4" spindle would cost for this? All of my current cutters are 3/4" bore and I really don't want to replace them if I go with this shaper.

Thanks,
    Wes Billups

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Billups
    Anybody know how much a 3/4" spindle would cost for this?
    Amazon has it for $112.
    http://www.amazon.com/Delta-43-807-S.../dp/B00004Z01Z
    Bill Simmeth
    Delaplane VA