Thread: Woodworking at Home Magazine

Angry Woodworking at Home Magazine

Is anyone else as annoyed as I am about the demise of this venture. What really gets up my nose is that the whole thing has closed, yet they continue to offer back issues "as long as it is profitable", but no mention of refunds for subscriptions paid in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Milhinch
    Is anyone else as annoyed as I am about the demise of this venture. What really gets up my nose is that the whole thing has closed, yet they continue to offer back issues "as long as it is profitable", but no mention of refunds for subscriptions paid in advance.

This is posted on their website.

Our Risk Free Policy

If at anytime you are unsatisfied with Woodworking at Home Magazine, you can easily cancel your subscription and we will refund your money for all un-mailed issues.

Simply send us a letter of your intentions to cancel to the following address

Woodworking at Home Magazine
    2413 W. Algonquin Rd. PMB #425
    Algonquin IL 60102

I suspect Chris is an honorable guy and and will do what he can to make things right. Not knowing the business and legal end of things it might be best to handle it privately.
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

This is first I have heard of it.

Annoyed ? Yes a little.. Why did they not email the subscribers about this and have there ducks in a row before posting it. What about our subscriptions? I was good for another 10 issues...
    The issues had been falling behind and I assumed it was just a rough patch and would catch up gradually.
    I emailed them and I guess we will see how this goes.

Chris
    "I have worked myself up from nothing to extreme poverty." Groucho Marx
    http://www.youtube.com/user/TheChrisPineWorkshop

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Milhinch

I also sent Chris an email as I am on the hook for 15 more issues ... will let you all know what I hear back too.
    Mike-in-Michigan (Richland that is) <br> "We never lack opportunity, the trouble is many don't recognize an opportunity when they see it, mostly because it usually comes dressed in work clothes...."

I just sent Chris an e-mail too. I have 9 issues left on my subsrciption. I'm willing to see how Chris responds before getting too upset. I don't know what things Chris had to deal with this year, but personal problems, or even worse, tragedy, can easily take out a small business much quicker than it can even dent an established organization. I'm willing to give Chris some time to get organized.

Pete
    "Last year we couldn't win at home. This year we can't win on the road.
    My failure as a coach is that I can't think of any other place to play."
    - Harry Neale, Vancouver Canucks

Got a note from Chris today -- they've changed the letter on the web page, now there is an existing subscribers link... he basically says he's broke, the mag is kaput and he will, when he has the funds, put us on a list to receive back issues. Since I have all the issues since 1 -- not to big an offer. Can't say I am surprised. I am sure he didn't shut down with the intention of going off to the cayman's with his loot, it's to bad in the long run, but such is life.
    Mike-in-Michigan (Richland that is) <br> "We never lack opportunity, the trouble is many don't recognize an opportunity when they see it, mostly because it usually comes dressed in work clothes...."

That's really a shame to hear. Chris seems like a really good guy and I thought his concept for a video magazine was way ahead of its time. I wish he had been able to make it work, but as the statistics show, starting up a small business is a very risky proposition.

I for one do not regret having been a subscriber to the magazine and wish Chris well in all of his future projects. I knew the risks when I became a long-term subscriber. Hopefully, he'll get over this and be able to join us on the 'Creek, where we can all have the benefit of his skill and experience.

Jack

Ww@h

Chris' explanation on his website clarifies the situation for me now. He probably should have done that in the first place. Anyway, small businesses almost always fail, so hopefully he can get himself back on track and move on. It was a good idea, and enjoyable while it lasted.

Angry He is breaking contract

You all are more generous in your attitude than I. I, in paying for the magazine made a contract to him and he is breaking it. While I agree things in life happen. That does not change the contract. HE is broke? What would happen if I said I am broke when the bill was due for my magazine? Would he continue to send them to me because I was a nice guy?

By the way I have not received any communication from him in any fashion about this at all. I guess some of you are in the know but us common subscibers are not?
    I am not loseing sleep over this but all in all this is not a good way to handle this!

Chris
    "I have worked myself up from nothing to extreme poverty." Groucho Marx
    http://www.youtube.com/user/TheChrisPineWorkshop

I'm not thrilled with the options either. I've still in for another nine issues, and the only recourse is back issues, of which I have all that he lists available.

Maybe I'll just pick nine back issues that I think my Dad would like and pass them on.

Pete
    "Last year we couldn't win at home. This year we can't win on the road.
    My failure as a coach is that I can't think of any other place to play."
    - Harry Neale, Vancouver Canucks

Who is this "Chris" we are talking about and what is this magazine you are speaking of?
    Michael Gibbons

I think I like opening day of deer season more than any udder day of the year. It's like Christmas wit guns. - Remnar Soady

That bear is going to eat him alive. Go help him! That bear doesn't need any help! - The Three Stooges

I really enjoyed the magazine, and I am sorry to see it go.

It just occured to me that a nice final jesture from Chris would be to offer for sale a set of summary DVDs. For Example, one set of the WW projects, one set of the turning projects, and one of the carving projects. I would be interested in the WW and turning projects. I have no interest in carving and would not buy the carving DVD.

Just a thought....
    Best Regards, Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Pine
    What would happen if I said I am broke when the bill was due for my magazine? Would he continue to send them to me because I was a nice guy?
    He would probably turn you over to collections, but if you are broke, he's not going to get any money. It sounds to me like he is broke, and unfortunately that's the way it is. It sounds like he's going to do his best to get the people who paid something which is a better deal than the people who paid for high-end plane kits got when that company went broke.