Thread: zero clearance table insert

zero clearance table insert

Hi,

I purchased a polypropelene zero clearance insert for my Dewalt saw at a woodshow, it was supposed to be designed for the saw, but it is a bit thick. My question is can I run this thing though my thickness planer to take it down to the proper thickness? Will that material do any damage to the blades?

Thanks for your advice

Jay

Blog Entries

It might be okay

It might be okay to run it through your planer, but if you can install it and put in your dado blade, you should be able to cut enough relief on the bottom so your regular 10" blade will fit. Be careful you don't raise the dado blade too far. If you don't own a dado, any smaller diameter blade will work for cutting the recess or use your router.

The plastic will give you better support if it is thicker. It will be less likely to sag if you put any down pressure on it while cutting.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I'd suggest routing the edge down so it fits. This way, you don't lose any strength across the span. That's my two cents and I'm sticking to it!!
    Lynn J. Sonier

Jay:

If your issue is that you can't install the insert because it's hitting the blade when the blade is at its lowest point, Lee's right on the money.

If the issue is that the insert stands proud of the table surface and doesn't hit the blade underneath, I suppose you could try running it through your planer, but there might be an easier way.

I don't know about the DeWalt, but on my Delta contractor's saw the insert rests on 4 cast iron "tabs" that stick out into the throat opening. If I had an insert that was too thick, I'd use a forstner bit (or even a spade bit) in a drill press to remove enough material on the underside of the insert so the insert would be slightly below the table. Then I'd either use shims to bring the insert up to the table height, or drill holes for a set screw at each are over a tab to make it adjustable.

Good luck!
    Sam/Atlanta

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Knoll
    Hi,

I purchased a polypropelene zero clearance insert for my Dewalt saw at a woodshow, it was supposed to be designed for the saw, but it is a bit thick. My question is can I run this thing though my thickness planer to take it down to the proper thickness? Will that material do any damage to the blades?

Thanks for your advice

Jay

My experience with Polypropelene is, that it may be a little to brittle to plane well. If you are incorrect though and the insert is made of HDPE/UHMWPE then it should plane just fine.

However be carefull you don't snipe it.
    It's a vintage trailer thing. If ya gotta ask, ya won't understand.

If is is the UHMW stuff, planing I have not done, but it is fine in the jointer, so a planer should be fine as well. I also cut it on the TS, and the bandsaw, but the cleanup is a PITA. White crap everywhere. Looks like the remains of a busy pasta party thrown by a group of toddlers.
    I just made a fresh one for my unisaw, because I got tired of the plastic one that sagged. I used 12mm BB, and it was a bit too thick. So, with just a chisel, I relieved the four corners where the tabs are, and then drilled and inserted socket screws to make the final adjustments. Used locktite, but don't think that it did any good, and wouldn't bother the next time. The insert works quite well. And, the 12mm BB does not sag at all. That stuff is stiff. I amde one for the dado as well, but haven't needed to use it yet. I hate to change blades.

Thanks for the help

I appreciate all your suggestions, my saw had a "ledge" as well as tabs, so I thought I'd be doing a lot of drilling if I used the forster bit approach -- great idea tho!
    Anyway, I slipped it through the planer, took off a shy 1/64 on each of two passes, now I can use the adjusting screws to bring it back up.

Jay