Thread: Pipe clamps: is there some trick to this?

Pipe clamps: is there some trick to this?

I've never used pipe clamps before, but I recently got some("pony") clamps and tried them out on some galvanized pipe I got at the borg. Well, I don't get how they are supposed to clamp. The thing just slides all over the place at the slightest touch. Is it the pipe I got, should I try to return it? Do I have to prepare the pipe in some way?

Blog Entries
    Generally I try to use black pipe for my clamps, but I have some that use galvanized pipe. It sounds like your pipe might be a bit slick. Wipe them down with paint thinner to remove any oil. Take some 60-80 grit sandpaper and rough up a section of pipe and see if they grip any better. You can also try applying a bit of back pressure to the grippers if they are stacked pieces of steel to get them started to grip.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Lee is right. Galvanized pipe does not hold well at all with any brand of clamp fixtures. Get you some black pipe and you will be in business.
    Just keep working on it. It'll give up and do right after a while.

I know the whole black pipe story but I have used Glavinzed for years because of the crap and rust on Black pipe. I have never had an issue with the galvanized. I built several clamps a month ago with borg supplied galvanized pipe and they work like a charm. Am I just lucky? I do clean the pipe real well with solvent. Good Luck Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Hans Loeblich
    I've never used pipe clamps before, but I recently got some("pony") clamps and tried them out on some galvanized pipe I got at the borg. Well, I don't get how they are supposed to clamp. The thing just slides all over the place at the slightest touch. Is it the pipe I got, should I try to return it? Do I have to prepare the pipe in some way?
    When you say "pony" clamps, do you mean Jorgensen's, or some cheap import?

The reason I mention this is that I have Jorgensen's and some cheap red ones. The red ones are awful!

YOu wouldn't think that such a simple device could be defective, but it can.

Blog Entries
    I have had no problem with galzenized pipe. Check that the clutch plates are aligned like the picture.

"A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I've used galvanized pipe in clamps for about 40 years and never had a problem. I doubt if that's your problem.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

The thing just slides all over the place at the slightest touch.
    WOW I love Pony clamps used e' all my 30 som odd years in the hobby never has an ounce of problems and surely never heard this before.
    In fact Just a week ago I bought some more the castings and quality haven't changed in all the years I have used 'em.
    I just got some black iron pipe at the BORG too and it's fine with the clamps,

Is it the pipe I got, should I try to return it?
    I'm thinking it has to be the pipe. If they sold it to you with the statement that it'll work for the clamps then they must take it back.

I use black iron. For my longer clamps (8') I use double extra heavy black iron.

I have some Craftsman clamps that I have been using for 40 years on galvanized pipe and have never had a problem. I have used both galvanized water pipe as well as conduit and both have worked for me. The only difference that I can think of is the clamps may be of poor quality and the galvanized pipe I have been using is over 30 years old. The new stuff may be different.
    David B

Maybe they're selling import pipe these days. I'd imagine that a Pony clamp designed for 3/4" pipe would slide all over a 23/32" one.

Plywood deja vous all over again...

M-

Turns out the problem was with these stupid Rockler EZ-clutch attachments I was trying to use with my clamps. It doesn't let the cluthc plates move entirely into position. Took that off and the clamps work fine. I went ahead and wiped down the pipe with mineral spirits anyways, cause they did have a sort of greasy/sticky feel to them. And went over them with 60grit for good measure. I think they will work well now.

I also foolishly bought some Rockler plastic pads with my pipe clamps, to protect the wood. Well, they don't fit pony clamps, and you get to see how brittle they can be if you try to force them. For some reason I expected them to be slightly flexible.

So far I'm convinced that any part with the name Rockler on it is completely worthless.
    Last edited by Hans Loeblich; 01-20-2007 at 3:42 PM.

Blog Entries
    Sorry you had the bad experience. I was wondering if those EZ's were worth the trouble. Rockler has taken a bit of a dip and is aware and seem to be trying to fix whatever it is that's happened to them. Anybody else get their surveys? I filled mine out and was frank but not just dumping on them. I have exchanged a few emails since with a director of marketing or some such title-guy who responded to me directly and seems genuinely interested in folks input.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler