Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: It's here........

Sweet! Congrats Mark!

Corey

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Marzluf
    The fuzziness is just that, some left over fuzz on the edges that will come right off with 220. I just wanted to show it as it came off the machine.
    Mark,

I scrolling, sometime they burn off the fuzzies with a light pass with a torch.
    I've done this a few time and it's worked well. Don't know if your fuzz is the same. Enjoy the cool tool.
    David Mueller

Knowledge gained is directly proportional to the amount of equipment destroyed.

Ok........ here's a piece from the carver today. Could be used as a box lid very easily.

I brushed off the fuzzies with a brass brush, then applied a coat of gel stain just for depth and highlighting.

Mark,
    That's amazing! Out of curiousity, how is the pattern programmed into the CNC router?
    BTW, anything happening with your router jig?

Thanks Alex.

The machine comes with a design software. Very easy to use. After designing, you save the project to the memory card, take the card out to the machine and and carve away..

As for the router jig. I may have some VERY big news on that later in the year. I'm in talks with a company in California.

The machine comes with a design software. Very easy to use. After designing, you save the project to the memory card, take the card out to the machine and and carve away..
    Mark, if you get a chance, can you post a closeup and/or very large image of that carving? I'm very curious about resolution and if there are any "step" marks in the routing.

Pete

NOW you have gone and done it, Mark!!! LOML wants one of those too. I wonder if the account can handle it?
    1. How long did it take to make this little project?
    2. Did you use a template that came with the software to make this?
    3. At this point, do you know if you were to start from scratch, could you reproduce something like this quite easily? In other words, while the software might be easy, is it intuitive enough that one could do this fairly easily?
    4. Would something like SketchUp be able to produce output that then becomes input to a design to be produced by this machine?
    As you see, I am totally ignorant about this machine... But I hope to change that soon. Thanks for sharing!

Al
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/buttons/fotc.gif
    Sandal Woods - Fine Woodworking

Mark, impressive results! Using the gel-stain is an interesting idea to show what a glazed piece might look like, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks guys...

Rather than trying to answer all the questions, check out the posting I did over on WoodNet. The thread goes on pretty long but there's a ton of information there that might help..

xxxx
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 01-19-2007 at 10:09 PM. Reason: Remove direct link to forum -- Not allowed by TOS

Thanks guys...
    Rather than trying to answer all the questions, check out the posting I did over on WoodNet. The thread goes on pretty long but there's a ton of information there that might help..
    Thanks, I found the thread there.

I see it does leave minor rasterizing lines as it does a straight scanline-type (parallel) machining. Some sanding would likely clean most of those up, but it will show up the most on very curved surfaces. Again, it's wood, though, so it should be easy enough to clean off.

If they upgrade it later to include waterline strategies or similar that will eliminate most of that. I have RhinoCAM Pro creating toolpaths for my Sherline. Since I can't really sand what comes out of it, I use ball-nose end mills with tips as small as 0.005" and even some profiling bits that taper to 0.001". Here's a 0.010" end mill in my mill (the larger one is 1/16 or 1/32, I forget which):

pmb_010_end_mill.jpg
    (forgive the watermark, it is from my site)

They're brittle and cost around $20 a piece, so breaking them is painful If the Carveright lets you set up new bit profiles, you may be able to use something like that to get even finer detail to do things like coin-writing-sized text. They all have 1/8" shanks.

CNC is very exciting stuff. I look forward to seeing what else you can produce with that

Very cool Mark! You oughta go into the sign business now...

Blog Entries
    Ever since I started seeing the commercials on TV for the Sears CNC, I've wanted one. For some reason, my wife thinks a $1800 toy is a bit excessive .

Guess I need to figure out how we need one for the office. I know... We can make 3d wood models of our control system's and present them to the customer.

Mark,

Nice work on the Lid. You definately aren't persuading me in the direction away from purchasing one. Maybe one will "just appear" in my garage in the future.

Mark,
    Very nice work! I expected cookies But your name in that Yiddish Font looks just as good
    Actually it is quite an interesting machine with great potential!
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Cool

Wow!!!! Mark, I'm impressed ---as well as green with envy. I guess, to buy one of these I'll have to save more than just pennies in my budget to afford one. Now I have tio add another "must have" to my list of tools. Thank you for all the information.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Help to set up CompuCarve?

I have a friend who bought one, and he says he can't find the serial number anywhere on the machine or literature. That SN is apparently required for the computer program to "fire up" the system. I haven't seen the machine yet. Can any of you who've been through this offer guidance?

Thanks,
    Andy