Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Layoff = opportunity?

COBRA is totally BS too. I've had to go through two layoffs and both time the COBRA payments were higher than what I could get on my own. We're talking $800 to over $1,000 a month for a family! Who can afford that on unemployment?

I had to pay it for a few months the first time since my wife was 7 mos pregnant The second time I had to go nekkid for about 5 mos until I landed a new job. Problem with that is if you've been treated for anything within a certain time of being hired and have no proof of continuous insurance, the new insurance won't pay for a period of 1-2 years for that condition! (the old pre-existing condition ploy)

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn Kasdorf
    This December 13, I (along with 450 others) was layed of from our job with a very large tech company that shall go unnamed (the initials rhyme with "play noel"). I was there 8 years. It was a massive cutback and many senior tech people like myself were let go.

So, at age 50, I find myself at a crossroads. Do I try to find another tech job, where I commute every day and have to eke out tiny fragments of time to enjoy our farm and my emerging dream wood and metal shop? Oh, and by the way, take about a 70% cut in salary in the bargain, because I ended up getting raises over the years such that my last salary was way out of range with the job market. And traffic around here is getting constantly worse.
    Lynn, that is an all to common story these days. At 47 I have to admit this type of stuff scares me a lot. Back in 99 after 5 years at a decent place as their N.A. Network Manager and 10 years at the same type job for another firm.. I saw the handwriting on the wall. We got merged or bought 6 times in that 5 years, (147ml->2.5B sales increase) re-org'd to death and they hire a new CFO (at the new ivory tower in dallas) who's last job was head of outsourcing IBM-Europe. He announces GE Capital's Tech Group is taking over all our network support!. I (along with 6 other division NW managers) got out of the company in 30 days (since in '99 it was a good market). I went to work for a services company. Leveraged my experience and diversity to work for someone who sells my skills not worries if the can make me work cheaper. Figured if everyone is outsourcing -- I might as well work for the guys who are getting the contracts

They often don't see age as a big deal -- most contractors working for other firms or IBM Business partners like my firm tend to be older workers who can be independent and work w/o supervision.

In addition I can echo the tech education suggestions. I constantly study, read mag's, experiment, etc.. to keep my tech skills up-to-date. I always have been diverse from a tech point of view. If it's carried intelligence over electrons in the past 20 years I've worked on it, sold it or set it up. But I've expanded my programming ability, certified on Win,Cisco,Linux and IBM support functions, etc.

The only real downside is that I drive 3-4k a month since my main work is hardware and OS related. Software folks don't have anywhere near as much travel. I have a core group of customers, I work weekends, nights, etc.. whatever they need I do. This is the same stuff you will get contracting but I don't have to deal w/billing, payables,etc.. I am a W2 employee but a 1099 job wouldn't be that bad. Plus I get ok insurance. I would suggest you work on the technical skills, polish the resume and hit those service firms. Your skills and experience are a good thing to them. This can be a good thing but tough.
    Mike-in-Michigan (Richland that is) <br> "We never lack opportunity, the trouble is many don't recognize an opportunity when they see it, mostly because it usually comes dressed in work clothes...."

Lynn, I wouldn't even try to give you advice at this point. Only you can decide what's best for you. I remember the same thing happening to my dad at about the same age. In my opinion that's a BIG problem in our society that seems to be getting worse (off soapbox). Whatever you decide I wish you the best. Do keep us posted.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

I would say that the safe way to get your feet wet is to work with a temp agency for income as you try woodworking projects on the side. Set it as a goal to become efficient and cost effective to make the things you are making. As you hone in on your niche and shop income finally surpasses the part time assignments, you will be in a better position to make the transition. As people have stated above, health insurance is the big drawback of being self employed. The trick is to earn more, so that it doesn't matter as much. Just be sure you love what you do enough to be the best at it. It will take a lot of sacrifice and willpower to keep from throwing in the towel at first. Thankfully, once you are doing what you are meant to do, doors will open and things will get easier.
    ULS 135 watt w/rotary, Mazak QT-6T CNC lathe, Dapra machining center, Sherline CNC, Tormach CNC, Acad, Rofin welding laser, YAG laser w/ rotary, 4500 watt Fiber laser
    Boone Titanium Rings

Hiring

If you're interested, we're hiring folks in Reston VA and also around Columbia, MD. I'll email you privately.

Pete

I too have experienced a layoff and spent 5 months in the unemployment line so I know how you feel. It was the most demoralizing place I have ever been to, seamed like they went out of their way to infer if you werent such a low life you would have a job.

Its good that your looking foward as so many dont in these situations. I personally found another day job instead of trying to start up my own business. I was much younger and had no idea how or where to even begin so I never even tried anything like your considering. I do have a good friend that left AT&T when they told him he would take a 40% cut in pay if he wanted to keep a position there to go full time with his landscaping business plans. He has never regretted that descission and has been very sucessful. He has done a few jobs for me but he has such a demand its hard to get him over here.

Whatever you decide I wish you the best of luck.
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the very last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

Take Bruce's advice... I'm wearing a wedding ring he made as I type.

NAYY... just a satisfied customer.

Cheers,
    Jason

Lynn
    I am local to you here in N. Va area. I know of several good IT consulting/placement firms that I have used in the past. Also, you know the beltway bandits are still hiring IT like crazy and if you can pass a clearance, you are gold. So if you have to go back, part-time, full or even as 1099 there are opportunities I can pass on to you. In fact the co. I work has recently hired an IT VP from that IM co you retired from .

Conversely talk to some of the local cabinet shops or even the guys at the Leesburg Woodcraft. I think most of them came from Barber Ross Mill works.

Best of luck on your decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Russ Filtz
    COBRA is totally BS too. I've had to go through two layoffs and both time the COBRA payments were higher than what I could get on my own. We're talking $800 to over $1,000 a month for a family! Who can afford that on unemployment?
    Unfortunately that is a typical premium amount for a standard family. Many folks don't realize how much their health insurance is subsidized by their employer.

By incorporating, you may be able to pay your health insurance with pre-tax dollars.
    Trees. Tools. Time.

A very timely string. I am an independent Consultant/Business Analyst for Supply Chain Management projects. Several days ago I was informed that my services were no longer needed. Today is my last day here......it's time to hunt up a new assignment.

Insurance is a big deal. I am fortunate to be able to be on my wife's medical plan. Don't llok lightly at all the miscalaneous items you have to do, like filling estimated income taxes, bookkeeping, etc.

Hopefully the breaks between employment will not be long for us! I would love to be doing something else, but nothing pays like what I am doing.

Mike

Lynn,
    Sorry to hear about your situation. I was there 2.5 yrs ago. I got the lay off after 16 yrs with the company. I had worked up to quite a bit more than most with a AAS get paid. Fortunately, I had sensed it coming and had set-up my wwing as a business 10 mo. before it came. My wife has a good job with good bennies so I started woodworking full-time. After not making any money the first year ( everything plowed back into the business), and then not making hardly anything the second, I tryed a part-time job working at a wwing store. All the part time did was keep me from getting my woodworking done. I then found a job back in my field but half the salary and one heck of a comute. After 4 months of that I said take this job and shove it. One month later I moved out of the garage and into a commerical shop. Been working wide open every since. Things are looking good for this year. The main thing I have learned, and wish I had learned earlier, is to charge enough. I've always been a people pleaser type and was afraid that people would think I was charging them too much so I low balled everything. Not anymore. I have found more respect from insisting on getting paid. If you decide to become a ww'er make sure you demand what you are worth. The hours are long but making dust is a great way of life.
    Rob

So many of us are on this road together

I was laid off at age 52 (6 years ago) after 21 years writing and managing software, the last 18 with the same employer. I was fortunate to be recruited into community college teaching. There is some demand for programming teachers and the work is 40 hours/week 32 weeks/year with good benefits. I earn 40% of what I did before, but I love the work, have far less stress and have time and energy for the summer (fruit and vegetable) and the winter (woodshop) gardens.

I hope you can find work you will enjoy. If you like coaching, you'd like teaching. You get to help young people enter the world you spent so many years working in - passing on the lessons of your life.
    Jack Hutchinson