Thread: Who's using Carbide BS bands on 14 & 16" Bandsaws??

Who's using Carbide BS bands on 14 & 16" Bandsaws??

Like alot of BS owners with smaller machines, I'm considering a carbide band. However I'm worried about the horror stories of broken bands on small diameter wheeels due to metal fatigue.

I have a 16" saw, and would appreciate any tales or recommendations.

Mike

Mike, I use Timberwolf blades on my Jet 14" band saw (plus riser block). I have a 1/4", 3/8", and 3/4" blade. These are not carbide blades, but they cut through ANY wood like butter and I've had no problems with them over the past 3 years.

Be well,

Doc
    Last edited by Don Abele; 11-23-2003 at 9:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Stadulis
    Like alot of BS owners with smaller machines, I'm considering a carbide band. However I'm worried about the horror stories of broken bands on small diameter wheels due to metal fatigue.

I have a 16" saw, and would appreciate any tales or recommendations.

Mike
    I have a 14" extended, with a 5/8" carbide tipped blade from Lee valley.
    Only have cut about a hundred feet with it but it seems just as sharp as when I installed it.
    So far no problems with fracture.
    (Possibly another urban legend)
    I had a Viking (timberwolf ) before this one - I was disappointed.

Regards
    Bob

Laguna offers a 1" wide carbide blade intended for resawing. The back of the blade is silicone steel and it is manufactured in Sweden. Because it is designed for relatively low tension it is proposed to last longer on machines 16" and below. I have a Laguna LT16SEC (blade length 130") and have used this blade for about 1 year without any problems at all. Laguna will warranty the blade against breakage and they claim they have yet to replace a blade. I paid $195 at a show--I think the price is still about the same. I believe Laguna will provide the blade in any length required. Check their website.
    Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Weiser
    Laguna offers a 1" wide carbide blade intended for resawing. The back of the blade is silicone steel and it is manufactured in Sweden. Because it is designed for relatively low tension it is proposed to last longer on machines 16" and below. I have a Laguna LT16SEC (blade length 130") and have used this blade for about 1 year without any problems at all. Laguna will warranty the blade against breakage and they claim they have yet to replace a blade. I paid $195 at a show--I think the price is still about the same. I believe Laguna will provide the blade in any length required. Check their website.
    Hope this helps.
    Mine is the same idea but made in Idaho.
    About $50.00.
    Bob

Cool Carbide bandsaw blaces

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Oswin
    Mine is the same idea but made in Idaho.
    About $50.00.
    Bob
    Bob, can you tell me where one might buy a carbide blade in Idaho? My blade cost $158 with a 20% discount in Honolulu..I'd like to have an alternate dealer.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence Nitz
    Bob, can you tell me where one might buy a carbide blade in Idaho? My blade cost $158 with a 20% discount in Honolulu..I'd like to have an alternate dealer.
    Lawrence:
    The is is blade I am refering to:

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...=1,41036,41037
    You may have to contact them if your blade is different from those shown here.

regards
    Bob

Michael, I'm running a Delta 14" with riser and the Lenox Pro Master III (at least I think that's the model) with 3 tpi. I've had it on for about 2 years. This is my primary saw and I wanted smooth cuts and still be able to resaw. It does both well. I did upgrade the motor to a horse and a half and changed the pulley to up the speed a tad. But as the saw came it seemed to cut better and smoother with the Lenox than the TW. And the blade is still pretty sharp. I do detension every night which may help. Also, I rounded the back edge of the blade and honed the weld a little. I have a few TW blades and will use them when it comes time to replace the Lenox... but only until the new carbide blade gets in.

David