Thread: Honing new plane blades - a question

Honing new plane blades - a question

Hi people,

I have finally gotten my new planes etc. See old posts or wait for my small gloat with pictures. Will come some time in the future. But first I'd like to pick your brains about honing the new blades.

I got some new Veritas LA planes and blades. They are pretty sharp (looking-not used them yet) but I understand it is better to hone the blades before use. So...where do I start honing these new blades? Do I start at #1000 and do the whole routine which I think might be a waste as they seem pretty good. Or start at #5000 or just a final hone on backs at #8000 and the micro bevel at #8000? What do you all recommend?

Rob

On new ones there is no reason to start with 1000. I would hone the back with a 5000 and then 8000 and then do the same on the bevel...return to the back at each grade of stone to remove the wire.
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Thanks Mark.

On the bevel for the bevel up blades, do I need to use the 8000 on the full bevel and then do the micro bevel at thevery end or can I do the back at 5000 and 8000 and the bevel at 5000 and just the micro at 8000.

I think you are saying to do the full bevel at 8000. So after that i just do the micro bevel?

Also with the micro bevel (hav't used micro bevels till now) will a burr develop that I will need to remove or will the micro-bevel just finish off nicely?

Rob

I usually use a Tormek to establish a the bevel and then use ceramic stones (Shapton) to hone the back and bevel. With the slight hollow grind of the Tormek you only end up touching two points and placing another back bevel is unnecessary. Unless you consistantly use a guide you won't be able to reproduce the backbevel correctly (well at least I can't). I choose to hone blades by hand and the hollow grind makes it easy to reestablish the bevel angle. On my japaneese chisels I don't hollow grind them on the Tormek and don't use a backbevel either. I just take the time to bring up the bevel to 15000. As for honing the back and bevel, bring both up to the same level. If you go to 8000 on the bevel, bring the back up to 8000 too. So, if you bring the bevel and back up to 5000 and then put a microbevel of 8000, then bring your back up to 8000 too.

Thanks. I will just have a go and see what happens. I will be trying out my new LV Mark II honing guide and shapton stones.

Rob