Thread: Onieda Bag Gripper Owners - Question

Onieda Bag Gripper Owners - Question

I have a 2HP Super Dust Gorilla with the Onieda bag gripper system. I am havign trouble keeping the bag from getting sucked up into the cyclone. I have tried putting cuttoffs into the bottom of the bag, no help. Now I am placing several 9" by 9" clay tiles into the bottom of the bag, and tying a cord tightly around top of the drum on the outside to help keep the bag from moving. I also put an electical plug on the vacuum pump so I can plug it in without running the collector to suck the bag down tight before I start using it. Not ideal. I've been thinking of buying a high CFM pump. Anyone else having problems? Thanks...joe

Mine works fine. Does yours work if you suck out all the air with just the pump runing? If so, then you know that there is no leak. If you can rule out any leak and any blockage in the air hoses then I would wonder if the pump is defective.

Mine will suck the air out. But, when I change bags, (I try to eliminate as much air as possible), it take at least 15 minutes to evacuate all the air, maybe as long as 30 minutes. How long would your pump take?...joe

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Jensen
    How long would your pump take?...joe
    I've never noticed and I've never had a problem so I really don't know how long it takes. It doesn't have a lot of suction so it might take a while - I wouldn't be surprised by 15'.

Are you using nice thick bags similar to what their instructions suggest?
    Last edited by Tom Jones III; 01-19-2007 at 4:01 PM.

I have noticed that it can take awhile to completely suck out all the air. What I've done is take the full bag and place it into the empty bag while in the barrel. Then roll over the new bag's ends over top the barrel sides. This will remove 90% of the air. With the full bag tied off at the top, place the cover on the barrel and then start it up. In about 5 minutes or less it should have created a nice vaccum on the new bag. Remove the full bag and you are done.

I try to empty my bags when they are 2/3rds full. It makes the steps above easy to do.

Also, you can place weights into the bottom of the new bag and let it run. It won't hurt it if you make saw dust while that vacuum is getting created. Just remove your weights before the bag gets too full. I have used 10# weights from a barbell and it works well.

Mine takes about 15 to 20 minutes after placement of a new bag. I always turn the gripper on when I enter and off when I exit the shop and use my remote to turn my 3hp dust gorilla on and off throughout the day.

Tom, I'm using the bags from Oneida. I've not been able to find similar bags anywhere else.

Paul, I could do that, but the pump noise is a bit anoying. Seems like my pump is working as well as the others. I may buy a higher displacement pump...joe

Joe, mine is mounted on the wall in an insulated closet with the furnace and DC so I can't hear it much at all.

I have to say mine has been working flawlesly for a couple years. It sounds like your drum is not completely sealed. I assume you put a generous amount of silicone on the inside and outside of the washers when you ran your tube into the drum? I found the clear plastic bags Oneida sent with the system are way less than ideal for thier 35g drum. They are too big and leave lots of overlaps on the rim and Im sure even with the clamping lid, some air can get through. I found that the Husky brand (HD carries) 42 gallon, 3mm "contractor cleanup" bags are a perfect fit for the drum. These bags stretch perfectly around the rim leaving no overlaps. Anyway, as a habit I put a new bag in, clamp the top and run just the pump while I tape the filled bag and throw it out the shop door These couple minutes are all I do to get the air out of my drum that's between the bag a drum. Many times I've just fired it right up leaving out the "pre-suck" step and it's worked just fine.

Here's how I wired my DC from the Long Ranger..

Good luck with yours and hoped this help some.....(try the Husky bag!)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Harral
    I have to say mine has been working flawlesly for a couple years. It sounds like your drum is not completely sealed. I assume you put a generous amount of silicone on the inside and outside of the washers when you ran your tube into the drum? I found the clear plastic bags Oneida sent with the system are way less than ideal for thier 35g drum. They are too big and leave lots of overlaps on the rim and Im sure even with the clamping lid, some air can get through. I found that the Husky brand (HD carries) 42 gallon, 3mm "contractor cleanup" bags are a perfect fit for the drum. These bags stretch perfectly around the rim leaving no overlaps. Anyway, as a habit I put a new bag in, clamp the top and run just the pump while I tape the filled bag and throw it out the shop door These couple minutes are all I do to get the air out of my drum that's between the bag a drum. Many times I've just fired it right up leaving out the "pre-suck" step and it's worked just fine.

Here's how I wired my DC from the Long Ranger..

Good luck with yours and hoped this help some.....(try the Husky bag!)
    I think I used silicon on the washers, I'll have to check. I ordered a pump that moves 10X the vol. I think you are right about the Oneida bags, there is too much excess material around the top to get a good seal. Are the Husky bags strong enough, any tears when full?..joe

Joe _ I use the Husky bags as well. They fit tight around the drum. Almost too tight. They are durable enough to get the saw dust out of my shop and through the house! Actually, they do hold up very well.

Ash Michael said, they are plenty strong. I've gone through hundreds and not one tear along the way from my 2hp commercial system. I know Oneida recommends a 4mm, but these work just fine. Can the new pump, seal the washers and pick up some Husky bags..you'll be all set.