Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thorsen Side Table

Thorsen Side Table

I drew this from the article on same in Feb. Popular Woodworking. I discovered some vague or missing details in the article so drawing it out in SU helped figure it out. What do you think? The SU model is complete enough to use for working drawings.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Richards
    I discovered some vague or missing details in the article so drawing it out in SU helped figure it out.
    A loooong time ago, in the days of 8bit microcomputers and CAD systems that cost $100k and up, I was a student at the Royal College ofArt arguing exactly this point. As a qualified mech.eng. I was competing in the presentation world with students that had fine arts degrees and often several years experience in industrial design consultancies and that could do fabulous drawings and marker renderings etc. The problem was that I could too often see that the beauty of the drawing was hinding fatal problems (occasionally literally) that simply couldn't be seen because of a view angle or whatever. I spent *ages* trying to explain that you can't put a CRT in a desk without having 25kV across one's testicles....

CAD helps enormously with this sort of problem, though I bet there are plenty of occasions where someone has used it to hide one. Having something like Sketchup available is just fabulous; in fact after the RCA I spent several years as an IBM Research Fellow trying to make something very like it - modulo the hardware differences of course! In those days an image like Dave's table would have taken several days to program and maybe a couple of hours to produce a single shot.

Next time you're cursing your computer, remember that and smile :-)
    Smile. It worries the other guy.

Hi Dave,

Are the cut-outs in the aprons athentic? I haven't gone to my G&G books to compare but the left side doesn't seem consistent with their work. I might be totally wrong here but it was the first thing that stood out to me. Otherwise, I like your cloud lifts and your proud breadboard ends. The sizing proportions look good too.

"What do you mean my birth certificate's expired?!"

Neil I didn't check it out. I just drew it based upon the one in the magazine, as I mentioned above.

There is a tabouret from the Thorsen house that has that detail on it but the bottom is different and there are more ebony plugs.

And a flower stand that has it.

Dave.
    Somewhere on the net is a series of pictures of the Thorsen house. I believe they are one of USC's servers. I can't find them again though, sorry.
    Regardless, it looks like a nice design.

Another detail you might consider is doing a cloud lift on your lower rails. I would be inclined to choose one or the other of your cut-out designs and use it consistently around the table.

Neil. Knock, knock! It isn't my design. I just drew the table as it was presented in the February issue of Popular Woodworking magazine. There already is a cloud lift on the stretchers.

Mike, I imagine I've seen that site you're referring to. If you find the link, I'd be interested in it.

Be nice to those who offer help Dave. I actually revised my comment as soon as wrote it as I realized you already had a cloud lift but I must not have saved it properly and it posted with my oversight.

I think Mike means the Greene & Greene Virtual Archives at http://www.usc.edu/dept/architecture...ene/index.html

There is a great deal of information about G&G designs available there.

Neil, I apologize. It's just that I wasn't asking for help on the design. I drew it the way it was presented. It's another woodworker's design. I don't know that I will even build it.

Evidently the Greene's thought the mix of patterns was alright since they did it on at least two tables--the ones I posted photos of.

Now I'm regretting posting the original image in the first place.
    Last edited by Dave Richards; 01-21-2007 at 2:11 PM.

No problem. I didn't realize you wanted feedback on the computer aspect of the piece rather than the design itself. I'm a G&G fan so I was interested in your drawing. Cheers.

Dave,
    I’m glad you demonstrated that SU is an effective tool for revealing erroneous data or glossed-over details in the artistic renderings we see in magazines. Many times I have scratched my head and wondered what was wrong with me when I could not make sense of exploded drawings. Your presentation and support of SU make it readily available to the rest of us as a step in the process of interpreting drawings and turning them into boards which actually fit together!

Thanks,
    Frank

I understand the reason for the post completely. Good job, and thanks!
    Les

Dave,
    That is terrific work! The table is nicley proportioned and detailed and your SU model demonstrates that. The linnk to G&G is a keeper!
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Frank, Lester and Mark, Thank you.