Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Forstner Bit Set Recommendation Request

Forstner Bit Set Recommendation Request

I am equipping my new shop and need to buy drill bit sets. I plan to order Lee Valley's High Speed Steel set of 28 brad point drills, but I need your suggestion for some good quality forstner bits. I will be building furniture, cabinetry and maybe some small boat building. Quality is more important than price. Bits will be used with the new Delta 20" drill press due out in March. Thanks.

Get the Lee Valley ones. The hybrid sawtooth ones are excellent. I also used to buy forstners and still do on occasion from WL Fuller. Good quality but no better quality than the Lee Valley but triple the price.

I have the Freud 7 piece carbide set and love it. The only thing I have to compare is a cheapo bit for euro hinges that I had bought at the Borg. It was terrible. Drilling maple seemed like it created more smoke than chips. The carbide cut beautifly. They aren't cheap but seem well worth it to me.

Great question. I've been thinking along the same lines and will keep checking back to see what people saw. The Lee Valley set looked good to me too.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Wright
    I need your suggestion for some good quality forstner bits. I will be building furniture, cabinetry and maybe some small boat building. ...Quality is more important than price.
    I originally bought the Lee Valley set, but returned it due to chipped rims on most of the bits. Looking at the other sets they had at the store, they all had chipped rims as well.

Some time later I saw a different returned set on their discount shelves, so I checked them out. Looked in good shape, decent discount, so I bought them. They work just fine.

Anyways, check out whatever bits you end up getting and make sure they're in good shape. Even good manufacturers slip up sometimes.

Please be cautious about buying a set of Forstner bits. If you feel the need to buy a set, buy a small set. Large sets, especially those with lots of large diameter bits, can get really expensive. In practice, many folks use a few bits, and the others gather dust. Ask yourself what sizes you will use, and buy a small set with those sizes included. Then buy other large diameter bits as you need them.

ps - I have heard good things about Bormax bits from Woodcraft. Pricey though. I'll try them the next time I need a new Forstner.
    Last edited by Dave Falkenstein; 01-17-2007 at 11:49 AM.
    Dave Falkenstein aka Daviddubya
    Cave Creek, AZ

I recently picked up the Porter Cable box set at just under $50.00
    They are OK. I'm not leaping for joy over them .
    I can sharpen them with a file which is a plus.

Carbide might have been a better way to go. Then again maybe not.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Falkenstein
    . . . Ask yourself what sizes you will use, and buy a small set with those sizes included. Then buy other large diameter bits as you need them.
    Dave,

Good advice, except I always struggle determining ahead of time what tools/bits I will need. Maybe I should buy them one at a time as needed and forego getting a set!

I have an old Tiawan set...I think they were from Grizzly and they are fine...inexpensive and I sharpen them once in a while by hand...the rpm is critical...big bits slower...I also have a gold titanium coated ebay special and they are good too. I have drilled many doors for locks etc...
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

I have a small set, and buy larger ones as needed. Two days ago I got a 1.25" Freud bit, and it cut like butter into end grain ash. I think I'll stick with them for a while.
    Marc

I picked up the 9 (?) piece set that Woodcraft has on sale, figure they should be good for basic stuff and if I find I'm wearing out a paticular size I can upgrade to a better bit.
    I have used these several times and they make nice cuts, not sure how long they'll last though.

Al

Try WL Fuller. I tried Lee Valley--wasn't too impressed considering the price. I have a set of good fosstners and a set of Lee Valley Fostners--and I can definately tell the diference.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Casebolt
    I have a small set, and buy larger ones as needed. Two days ago I got a 1.25" Freud bit, and it cut like butter into end grain ash. I think I'll stick with them for a while.
    Marc
    Marc, what size bits do you find yourself using most? Any recommendations for what bit set (sizes, shaft lengths, etc) to get at first. Your suggestion could be a great compromise to buying bits one-by-one and going with a larger bit set.

Jeff,
    Based on my recent experience with the Freud bit, if I were to buy a set now it they would be the ones. I have a 7 or 8 bit set, and they seem to work for 90% of my needs. I think they are .25" to 1' in size. May have about 5 or 6 larger ones purchased over the years as needed, a mixed bag of brands. Shaft size / length? As far as I know they seem not to vary much. Hope this helps.
    Marc

CMT - great bits