Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Started the barrel vault, here are some pics

It has been a while, project is only a week or so away from being completed. Ran into some fantastic problems along the way with contractors, supplies etc =). Have never owned a house more than 6 months in my life, this one now 2 years heh. I love it, but glad to see it wrapping up. You can see it a bunch of photos here (I am sorry for the quality):

http://gallery.mac.com/cpasko#100118...lack&view=grid

A few previews:

[IMG]http:/gallery.mac.com/cpasko/100118/IMG_7826/web.jpg[/IMG]

Chris,

Way to go dude!

Per
    "all men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night....wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible."
    T.E. Lawrence

Chris,
    You are both artist and true craftsman! A bright future I forsee for you young man. Great work!
    Mark

Phenomenal! Now I have some ammo for convincing the old lady. My basement is unfinished with a couple of heat runs down one side. I can’t stand soffits and originally I was going to end up building a soffit on the other side just for conformity, then I thought a barrel vault would look good. Now I know it will look good. I planned on using T+G to cover it.

Glorious ceiling work.

My hats off to you Chris. That is some mighty fine ceiling work you have done. I can't imagine how much work it was sanding that egg dome ceiling :-)

Whatever you thought you were going to get for your house before you started, aim higher. Even though the housing market is a little slow right now your property will move without a problem. Set the price high and let the offers drag it down a little rather than setting it too low and potentially losing money to the first offer.

Keep up the good work and good luck.

Outstanding, Chris...and I do understand about "lingering" construction projects...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

This reminds me of the "end" of most projects ,

Light at the end of the tunnel

Nice job !

Thanks a lot guys, I thought you guys would like them. Its a house I am truly proud of, and happy to finally be in a neighborhood where I could do a bit of fancy stuff and make some money on it.

That little black dot on the ceiling next to the elliptical dome in the 3rd picture is actually the faucet for the jacuzzi fill =), it get a chrome trim still but its pretty slick.

A lot of really neat little things in this house. Cabinets turned out darker then I wanted, but thats just another day in the life of baltimore st. =)

The glass block wall and niche in the master bath has fiber optics ran through so at night the entire wall changes colors. Its pretty neat. I will try to get pics.

Chris,

I add my kudos to the many others already given. The architect and homeowners should be very happy that they chose such a skilled craftsman. Your execution of the careful vision and planning that obviously went into the home is simply inspiring.

John

Chris,

Your work is a true inspiration. The quality is awesome as well as the detail !! Thanks for posting it has helped me with my "humble" porch project.

Rich
    Rich

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
    - General George Patton Jr

Neat ceiling! The ends looked really tricky. One question? The side where the cabinets go looks to be a long span on the 2x8's and blocking, are they support from above ?
    "You can lead them to Linux
    but you can't make them Think"

Retired and testing my woodworking skills

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Konopka View Post
    Chris,

Your work is a true inspiration. The quality is awesome as well as the detail !! Thanks for posting it has helped me with my "humble" porch project.

Rich
    Thank you Rich, just posted in your thread. I am going to try to get pics tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Venturelli View Post
    Neat ceiling! The ends looked really tricky. One question? The side where the cabinets go looks to be a long span on the 2x8's and blocking, are they support from above ?
    Thanks Richard, if you are referring to the 20' long paralams, yes, they are heavily supported from above with 2x4, 2x8, and ply braces all the way down. They tie into both the blocking and the 2x's. I will see if I have some pics floating around.

Dywall question...

I am not in construction, though I have done several decent remodeling jobs. Doesn't the ceiling have to have 5/8" drywall? I ask this cuz you said you were going to put up two 1/4" pieces, which is less than that.

Hutch

Truly outstanding work!!! Great job....Superior work like this takes time. We understand....
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Hutchinson View Post
    I am not in construction, though I have done several decent remodeling jobs. Doesn't the ceiling have to have 5/8" drywall? I ask this cuz you said you were going to put up two 1/4" pieces, which is less than that.

Hutch
    Hey Matt, here there is no code to use 5/8" on the ceilings. You will only have to use it when you have 2x walls on say an addition off the rear shared with a neighbor to meet burn time in case of a fire, or if you are within 8' of a neighboring house in conjunction with densglass.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Olexa View Post
    Truly outstanding work!!! Great job....Superior work like this takes time. We understand....
    Thanks, it seems EVERYTHING takes time these days =).