Thread: Tasmanian timber pics

Tasmanian timber..............

Thanks for the welcome and yes we have some exclusice species of timber in the world here so thought i would share some with you,this is called sassafras which is a white timber which some have a unique spalting in the centre which is the beginning of a rotting process but makes magnificent furniture when dry so i cant wait until then.We have a huge idustry here in the logging industry so all these species are cut down in that process so we can be lucky to score a log or two.Hope you enjoy these pics...................

Cheers Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wow, that's very interesting looking stuff. While it's probably a challenge for "flat" woodworking, I can envision lots of kewel things to do from a turning perspective, given that first photo. Too bad you're not just down the block...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

How about that! I see a long farmhouse table for the San Diego Chargers in that particular log! Like Jim said - too bad you're not stateside!

Todd.

James,

I had the pleasure of spending 6 weeks this time last year in Hobart working with INCAT. I wish I could of brought back more wood than I did. I picked up some small pieces down at Salamanca Square on a Sat. morn. Some blackheart sassafrass, kingbilly pine, huon pine and some others I can't even remember. What a great country. I would go back in a heartbeat. Glad you made it to the Creek.
    "The idea that "violence doesn't solve anything" is a historically untrue and immoral doctrine. Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishful thinking at its worst. People that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and freedoms."

Thanks Mike.........

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Leonard
    James,

I had the pleasure of spending 6 weeks this time last year in Hobart working with INCAT. I wish I could of brought back more wood than I did. I picked up some small pieces down at Salamanca Square on a Sat. morn. Some blackheart sassafrass, kingbilly pine, huon pine and some others I can't even remember. What a great country. I would go back in a heartbeat. Glad you made it to the Creek.

Tassie is a wonderful place and i came here to get away from the heat and for the timber which i am enjoying very much but we have to buy a portable mill instead of hiring so will have to sell a bit first.
    Incat is doing ok as far as i know,nice for you to reply..........

Jim

Hi Jim.
    Welcome to SMC, it is nice to see another Oz. Despite the fact that most members here are Septics, they are pretty knowledgable.
    I am in WA, the cool part down south where the hardwoods grow, and a long way from you in Tas.
    Cheers
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Glynn
    Hi Jim.
    Welcome to SMC, it is nice to see another Oz. Despite the fact that most members here are Septics, they are pretty knowledgable.
    I am in WA, the cool part down south where the hardwoods grow, and a long way from you in Tas.
    Cheers
    Rob
    Ok, I gotta ask--"Septics?"
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Rhyming slang.
    Septic tanks = Yanks.
    Oz abbreviation gives you "septics" or "seppos".
    Got it? Good.

James,
    Welcome!!!!

I can't believe what I read. I use Sassafras all the time. I don't know my trees that well, but I assume ours (logged in West Virginia) are the same. Sure looks like mine. My brother-in-law bought 1,000 board feet about four years ago and then decided he did like it! I've been hauling it home board foot by board foot. I'm down to about 40 board feet and it's all over (he is out of the stuff ). I've made all kinds of things with it, furniture, picture frames, jewelry boxes, you name it.

My most recent projects were baby furniture for our new grandson (due today - finger crossed). Here's a couple pics:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If sawdust were gold, I'd be rich!

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1

Hi Trantham.........

Quote Originally Posted by Byron Trantham
    James,
    Welcome!!!!

I can't believe what I read. I use Sassafras all the time. I don't know my trees that well, but I assume ours (logged in West Virginia) are the same. Sure looks like mine. My brother-in-law bought 1,000 board feet about four years ago and then decided he did like it! I've been hauling it home board foot by board foot. I'm down to about 40 board feet and it's all over (he is out of the stuff ). I've made all kinds of things with it, furniture, picture frames, jewelry boxes, you name it.

My most recent projects were baby furniture for our new grandson (due today - finger crossed). Here's a couple pics:

Hi Trantham,well it is not the same timber for sure but you may call that particular species there sassafras but ours is a white timber and the beginning of the spalting is rot so you never know what you get till you mill it but i am looking forward to making some tables with it.You pics show great workmanship,well done .............Jim
    Woodie's never grow up,our toys just get more expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Glynn
    Rhyming slang.
    Septic tanks = Yanks.
    Oz abbreviation gives you "septics" or "seppos".
    Got it? Good.
    Ok....interesting. You folks from "down under" certainly have some "different" lingual quirks, though I suppose ours sound just as weird to you. I hope noone takes this too seriously, as I got a chuckle out of it.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore