Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Digital Caliper/Fractions

Here's a digital fractional that goes down to 1/128 for only $30. Sorry, righties only.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/h7978

Also, a REALLY NICE one with a big display for $50. Only goes to 1/64, but I personally feel that's close enough for wood. I have one of these:

http://www.wixey.com/calipers/index.html

Just as a comment, I find the ones with the adjustment wheel a lot easier to use than the ones without it. If you've never used a caliper before, try one of each before you buy.

I bought a Starrett fractional caliper from Craftsman Studios - about $50 - and find it to be accurate and easy to use. And it has an adjustment wheel. Sorry - right hand only.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Richards
    .....Out of curiosity, Randy, was the mailer specifically for the digital caliper or was it the one with the drawing of the WoodRat on the front?
    I believe it was just for the caliper with no drawing.

Quote Originally Posted by John Bush
    I bought a digital model from Harbour Freight for ~$16 IIRC. Seems accurate enough for me. Keep watching the HF fliers for a sale. JCB.
    HF has some great prices on digital calipers; but to the best of my knowledge, the don't have one that measurers in fractional inches.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson
    Just as a comment, I find the ones with the adjustment wheel a lot easier to use than the ones without it.

Mike
    I agree with Mike.

Although I have digital calipers (more than one actually) none of mine have fractional capability. I own a Wixey angle gauge, a Wixey table saw fence DRO as well as a Wixey planer DRO. Love them all. But I think the lack of the adjustment wheel on the calipers makes it more difficult to make fine adjustments. I called Barry before he made these calipers availble for purchase and asked him if they would have the adjustment wheel, as the image on his website showed no wheel. He confirmed that it would not have the adjustment wheel. I would have bought it otherwise.
    Regards,

Glen

Woodworking: It's a joinery.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the feedback on comfort / accuracy, Dave. That 4" version just made my list.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Lee Valley makes a nice fractional dial caliper, no math to convert from decimals!

A reputation for craftsmanship is a responsibility
    to never take lightly.

I just recieved the Wixey, seems like a nice and accurate caliper. I'll never use the fractions though, fractions and calipers... it's just wrong.

OK OK I'll cry Uncle. We have added a thumb wheel to our calipers due to early comments from Glen and more recently others. The very first small production run had about half with and half without. From now on they will all have the wheel.

If you happen to have purchased one without I can send you one for free to add on. www.wixey.com

When talking accuracy keep in mind that although we have chosen to only display 1/64" increments that the patent pending display method is actually as accurate as if we displayed 1/256". ( we try to expalin on our website but it is a little confusing)

Barry

Quote Originally Posted by John Bush
    I bought a digital model from Harbour Freight for ~$16 IIRC. Seems accurate enough for me. Keep watching the HF fliers for a sale. JCB.
    I too bought one of those $16 HF digital calipers. I was very hesitant since I bought a conventional dial caliper from them a few years back that I eventually threw out as it was worthless - the gear didn't mesh right with the rack and constantly "skipped" destroying whatever accuracy it may have had.

However, this little digital has worked flawlessly, It almost always reads 0.0 when closed - I only occasionally have to hit the "zero" button. It automatically shuts itself off if I forget to, and every time I get my hands on something that is a good reference - a quality drill bit, parallel bars, etc. I check it and it's always been right on the money. Reads to .0005 too!

I have most fractional-decimal equivalents memorized, and can interpolate the others, but I also cheat - I have a couple of Starret tap-and-drill cards that convert decimal-to-fractional and number-drill sizes.
    --Steve--
    Support The Creek - click here

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Wixey
    OK OK I'll cry Uncle. We have added a thumb wheel to our calipers due to early comments from Glen and more recently others. The very first small production run had about half with and half without. From now on they will all have the wheel.

If you happen to have purchased one without I can send you one for free to add on. www.wixey.com

When talking accuracy keep in mind that although we have chosen to only display 1/64" increments that the patent pending display method is actually as accurate as if we displayed 1/256". ( we try to expalin on our website but it is a little confusing)

Barry
    Barry - would you mind posting a picture of your caliper with the adjustment wheel, please? I wish I had known that you made one with an adjustment wheel before I bought the Starrett. Free shipping, too.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Mike;

The photo is not the best. Just took it quickly myself. Need to get a pro to get new ones for the web ite and packaging.

Also, I need to retract what I said before. I just found that there are still a few left without wheels that could get shipped before we get replacements wheels. If anyone is ordering send an email so we can sort through for you or we can send repalcement wheels later.

Hope I can attach this properly

Barry
    I guess not!!!

CALIPER 004.jpg
    Last edited by Barry Wixey; 01-25-2007 at 8:54 AM.