Thread: Shop Fox & Grizzly... What are the Differences???

Shop Fox & Grizzly... What are the Differences???

Does anyone know what the differences are between the following 2 jointers?

#1. Grizzly G0490
    #2. Shop Fox W1741

I can get the Shop Fox for about $799 vs the Grizzly at $938.

Any comments would be helpful.

Thanks

-jj

The Grizzly is green, the Shop Fox is white. And the Shop Fox has a 2-year warranty.

What Todd said.
    Only differences I could find also.

Duan

Shop Fox

Since you are located in Milwaukee...

In case you hadn't been there, Neu's in Germantown (Hwy 45 & Q) has the Shop Fox still at their Tool Day sale price. I believe it is $749, but cannot remember for sure. They have a unit on the floor that you can see.

I think that I'll be doing that in the near future...I've been researching this, and haven't seen anyone point out a difference between the Grizzly and the Shop Fox.

Grant

Researched this one alot back when I was buying a new machine. As it's been stated many times here, the Shop Fox and Grizzly are basically the same machine except the Fox has a few minor upgrades (beefier miter gauge, etc.) and the biggest diff is the 2 year warranty. I picked mine up at the Bellingham, WA warehouse and they're both sitting there side by side. Love my saw by the way, and you can't beat the price for a cabinet saw. Don't think twice ........ run, don't walk and get yourself one!

Jim V

Quote Originally Posted by Grant Stevens
    Since you are located in Milwaukee...

In case you hadn't been there, Neu's in Germantown (Hwy 45 & Q) has the Shop Fox still at their Tool Day sale price. I believe it is $749, but cannot remember for sure. They have a unit on the floor that you can see.

I think that I'll be doing that in the near future...I've been researching this, and haven't seen anyone point out a difference between the Grizzly and the Shop Fox.

Grant
    Thanks Grant for the info!!!

I just ordered my Shop Fox from Neu's. Saved over $125 vs the Grizzly!!! Plus it comes with a 2 year warranty!

I downloaded the manuals for both the Grizzly & Shop Fox. They are almost identical (just some formatting differences)

-jj
    Last edited by joseph j shields; 01-23-2007 at 10:13 AM.

Good for you! The price on the Shop Fox is bound to go up.

just got mine home

Others have pointed out that on these jointers they are virtually identical. For some of their machines there are small differences in some of the features, but on the jointers I only see that the base cabinets are slightly different with a bowed front on the SF and straight on the Grizz.

I have not had a chance to do much with mine (too @#$ cold after last weekend's 70+ deg days). The only thing I am fiddling with is the fence and the movement over the beds as it is a little rough, but I think I have it pretty much sorted out. I need to play with it a little more and I might give their CS a call to see if it is a problem.

Brad's post below beat me to the punch on revising my info. I noticed this morning in the "reading room" that the cutterhead speeds are a little different as he noted. I find it curious that they would have slightly different motors, but I'lll take them at their word. I guess I need to slow my feed rate by a fraction of a second to match the Grizz.

Jake
    Last edited by Jake Helmboldt; 01-24-2007 at 1:29 PM.

The only difference I could see is cutterhead speed

Shop fox:
    Cuts per minute = 19,600
    Cutterhead speed = 4,900 RPM

Grizzly:
    Cuts per minute: 21,400
    Cutterhead speed: 5350 RPM

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Schmid
    The only difference I could see is cutterhead speed

Shop fox:
    Cuts per minute = 19,600
    Cutterhead speed = 4,900 RPM

Grizzly:
    I just got my Shop Fox and this is out of their User's Manual:

FYI...

-jj

Shop Fox is owned by Griz and is their retail line of tools they sell through other distributors. Generally, they are no different from the comparable Griz model...

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Barton
    Shop Fox is owned by Griz and is their retail line of tools they sell through other distributors. Generally, they are no different from the comparable Griz model...
    Actually there are often a number of small (and not so small) differences, though largely "features"in many of their products. For instance my 1729 19" bandsaw has euro-style guides and a 2hp motor. The 19" grizz has bearing guides and a 3hp motor and also has the cast iron fence. I don't recall if the tables are the same size. The 17" saws are similar in how they are outfitted.

The SF 8" jointer with dovetailed ways has some different features, though the Grizz now comes with the power switch on the stalk I believe (like the SF). Sometimes they are virtually identical, sometimes there can be considerable differences.

The salesman at the store where I just got my 1741 jointer said he suspects that they try things out on the Grizz line and when they refine things or settle on some different features they spec a SF model. Kind of makes sense since the SF line is not as complete as Grizzly.

I have to wonder what is up with the cutter speed disparity. I don't think it makes sense that they would spec slightly different speed motors or pulley combos, but you would think they would update their ads and literature.

JH

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Helmboldt
    Actually there are often a number of small (and not so small) differences, though largely "features"in many of their products. [...] The 17" saws are similar in how they are outfitted.
    According to Mr. Balolia, the Griz 17" G0513/G0513X are manufactured in a different factory than the SF 1707. Even though the two saw are quite similar in appearance and specifications, there are definitely differences in the trunnions and blade guard mechanisms, if you compare the exploded parts diagrams.

Quote Originally Posted by joseph j shields
    I just got my Shop Fox and this is out of their User's Manual:

FYI...

-jj

hmmm... since the motors are the same rpm, I suppose a comparison in pully sizes could be in order. Surely info posted on "the net" couldn't be wrong