Thread: making a cabinet scraper?

making a cabinet scraper?

Wasn't sure which forum to put this so I'll put it here.

I'm in need of a cabinet scraper, but there's not one to be found in this town. Checked both the blue and orange boxes. No luck. Checked a couple of other hardware stores. Not there either. I don't have time to mail-order. I could go to Manny's in Lexington, but that's an afternoon off work I really can't afford right now. So ....

Is it possible to make one. Say knock the handle off of a putty knife or something and then treat the edge with the sharpening techniques used on a cabinet scraper? I seem to recall this being mentioned in a WW magazine many moons ago. Anyone tried it? Or have any other ideas?

What say ye? DB
    It's called golf because all the other 4-letter words were taken

The new Winter 2003-3004 issue of Fine Woodworking has a very nice article on making a cabinet scraper. In fact, one of the two major themes for this issue is making tools and there are some terrific photos of a number of items made by readers.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Hey Dan!

Sorry I don't have a cabinet scraper - that's another item for the wish list. If I did, I would be glad to let you use it as long as needed.

Did you try Lyons Lumber Co or Yagel's in Brighton Park? I've found some WW things there that really surprised me. Good luck!
    Mark

"Diplomacy is the art of saying "Nice doggie" until you can find a rock."
    Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hulette
    Hey Dan!

Sorry I don't have a cabinet scraper - that's another item for the wish list. If I did, I would be glad to let you use it as long as needed.

Did you try Lyons Lumber Co or Yagel's in Brighton Park? I've found some WW things there that really surprised me. Good luck!
    Hey back! Thanks anyway, for the offer.

Yagel's didn't know what I was talking about. I'm going to run in Lyon's on the way home since it's on the way. I saw them in Lowes a year or more ago before they "remodeled" the tool area, but I walked all over it about 3 times yesterday and came up empty. Stuff I'd like to have but don't really need at the moment tends to disappear when I return later because I need it. Very irritating.

DB

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    The new Winter 2003-3004 issue of Fine Woodworking has a very nice article on making a cabinet scraper. In fact, one of the two major themes for this issue is making tools and there are some terrific photos of a number of items made by readers.
    What timing! I'll see if I can find a copy. Thanks. DB

Dan,

I am by no means an expert on this. You really should post this on the Neander side or shoot Dave Anderson NH a PM.

As I understand it though, and old hand saw blade cut down and burnished properly will make a very good scraper. you can burnishe with anything harder then the steel the scraper is made from. Most use carbide. You can find directions on how to burnish on the Lee Valley site or I am sure in any number of other places.

Good luck!

Noah
    To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; to earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; to appreciate beauty, to find the best in others; to leave the world a little better; wheter by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; to know even one life has breathed easeir because you have lived. This is the meaning of success.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Bundy
    What timing! I'll see if I can find a copy. Thanks. DB
    I forgot to mention in my other post that you should keep your eyes open at yard sales and flea markets, too. I picked up a Stanley #80 for ten bucks and it just needs a little "conditioning" to bring it up to speed. Of course...then I'll need to learn how to use it!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Bundy
    Wasn't sure which forum to put this so I'll put it here.

I'm in need of a cabinet scraper,What say ye? DB
    Lee Valley sells some.
    Get a real one before you start making your own.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...ry=1,310,41069

Bob -not affilitated. They're just good people to know.